Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.07.2012, 13:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cf-22CH has no particular reputation at present
Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Hi everyone,

I heard it was possible to get a letter (which costs 40CHF) from the Kreisbüro when de-registering upon leaving the country, which allows early cancellation of phone/internet contracts with swisscom etc.

Can anyone confirm this?
Or even better, confirm if this method works to get out of contracts with Orange CH?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.07.2012, 14:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

you get a letter from the geminde and show this to any company that you have a contract with and the contract stops.

it works very well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.07.2012, 14:19
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Yes you can stop the contract, but if you still owe Swisscom some money on your "Free / cheap" phone they will ask you for it, won't they?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.07.2012, 14:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cf-22CH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Yes I will have 3 months outstanding, but this is only for the line rental and calls/sms, as it is a sim only contract as I already had the phone.
In which case I assume I will have to pay this regardless of leaving the country.

Thanks miteinand
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.08.2012, 15:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
aumaim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Presenting the deregisteration letter from Gemeide no longer works (at least with orange). I have an iphone with 2-year contract and I will leave Switzerland for good before the end of the contract and they asked me to pay CHF800 for penalty fee. The best way is to transfer your contract and sell your phone. At least you get some money out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.08.2012, 15:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zezinho005 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Presenting the deregisteration letter from Gemeide no longer works (at least with orange). I have an iphone with 2-year contract and I will leave Switzerland for good before the end of the contract and they asked me to pay CHF800 for penalty fee. The best way is to transfer your contract and sell your phone. At least you get some money out of it.
Are u sure because the seller told me that when i sign the contract,? can they change there corporation policy like that without noticing the client ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.08.2012, 12:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
aumaim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

I am very sure. Though I wrote an angry email to Orange, they still don't let me off the hook. They just told me to return the phone to them but I still do need to pay the monthly fee until the end of my contract, which is ridiculous.

I am not sure about other providers. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06.08.2012, 12:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

odd, i was in an orange shop last week when a woman came in with the letter, she had 1 year left on the contract and they cancelled it straight away, with no mention of any fees at all
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.10.2012, 15:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
marktbaillie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Quote:
View Post
odd, i was in an orange shop last week when a woman came in with the letter, she had 1 year left on the contract and they cancelled it straight away, with no mention of any fees at all
When I went to an orange store (in Lausanne) yesterday the sales person said I could get out of a contract with this letter as well. But he said I need to call the 0800 700 700 number to do so with the "experts". When I called there, they said I need to pay 500 chf to cancel my contract. Very confusing. I don't leave for another 2 months, so I guess when I get that form I will try to enter a store to cancel the contract. Maybe it depends on which store you go to and who your agent is?

If it doesn't work i'll sell my phone and use that money to pay most of the cancellation fee back.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.10.2012, 16:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Lassevh has earned some respectLassevh has earned some respect
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

I'm pretty sure that they have to cancel it without further ado.

You can always turn the situation around: If they won't let you cancel, ask them where they're going to send the bill?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.10.2012, 16:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 476
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 153 Times in 108 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Quote:
View Post
When I went to an orange store (in Lausanne) yesterday the sales person said I could get out of a contract with this letter as well. But he said I need to call the 0800 700 700 number to do so with the "experts". When I called there, they said I need to pay 500 chf to cancel my contract. Very confusing. I don't leave for another 2 months, so I guess when I get that form I will try to enter a store to cancel the contract. Maybe it depends on which store you go to and who your agent is?

If it doesn't work i'll sell my phone and use that money to pay most of the cancellation fee back.
Did you get a phone with the contract?

Most people don't realize that getting that "free" phone is not free after all as it's just a cleaver way of selling a product with monthly installments (i.e. your subscription). The depreciation rate of the handset is also exponential so it's a win-win situation for the operators
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.10.2012, 16:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
marktbaillie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

I did get a new iphone with the contract. I don't think it is neccessarily right to not pay any sort of termination fee, but 500chf is ridiculous. You are right that they do need to recoup the cost of the handset, but I think the discount is around 400 chf. Being that if you bring your own handset, they discount your contract by 15 per month, if I stay in the contract for 14 months that is 210chf I paid them. So asking for 300 may be reasonable. But the rep on the phone told me that if you cancel on day 1 of the contract, or the last month of the contract, your release fee is the same 500 chf. sounds really dumb.

I have been told that you can also transfer the contract to someone elses name, and have them take it over. But why would someone want to take your contract if they don't get a new phone? Maybe because it is only 10 months? but then wouldn't it be easier just to get a prepaid phone? Any input on why someone else would want to take over my contract would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.10.2012, 18:22
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

I had this problem in Germany with Vodafone...My moving to Switzerland wasn't grounds to cancel the contract as they can still provide me with service here, regardless of the rate...This is why I still have PAYG here...I was so livid. Deutsche Telekom made a stink as wel, which was surprising to us, since when we left Germany for the US in 2003 we had no problems with them
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.10.2012, 23:48
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I did get a new iphone with the contract. I don't think it is neccessarily right to not pay any sort of termination fee, but 500chf is ridiculous. You are right that they do need to recoup the cost of the handset, but I think the discount is around 400 chf. Being that if you bring your own handset, they discount your contract by 15 per month, if I stay in the contract for 14 months that is 210chf I paid them. So asking for 300 may be reasonable. But the rep on the phone told me that if you cancel on day 1 of the contract, or the last month of the contract, your release fee is the same 500 chf. sounds really dumb.

I have been told that you can also transfer the contract to someone elses name, and have them take it over. But why would someone want to take your contract if they don't get a new phone? Maybe because it is only 10 months? but then wouldn't it be easier just to get a prepaid phone? Any input on why someone else would want to take over my contract would be greatly appreciated!
When did you sign the contract? If it was Oct 2011 or later, you're SOL. See this thread - Orange iPhone contracts: that pesky termination fee as I had a similar situation when terminating my contract earlier this year, but I was fortunate in that I had specifically asked about 'what if..?' and was told that it wouldn't be a problem along with their website stating that expats could get out of the contract without penalty. That's no longer the case. Try and fight it, but if the contract was signed in October 2011 or later, don't count on getting out of it.

No idea as to who or why someone would want to take over a mobile contract.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05.10.2012, 11:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 476
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 153 Times in 108 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I did get a new iphone with the contract. I don't think it is neccessarily right to not pay any sort of termination fee, but 500chf is ridiculous. You are right that they do need to recoup the cost of the handset, but I think the discount is around 400 chf. Being that if you bring your own handset, they discount your contract by 15 per month, if I stay in the contract for 14 months that is 210chf I paid them. So asking for 300 may be reasonable. But the rep on the phone told me that if you cancel on day 1 of the contract, or the last month of the contract, your release fee is the same 500 chf. sounds really dumb.

I have been told that you can also transfer the contract to someone elses name, and have them take it over. But why would someone want to take your contract if they don't get a new phone? Maybe because it is only 10 months? but then wouldn't it be easier just to get a prepaid phone? Any input on why someone else would want to take over my contract would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry to say, but what you think is irrelevant You never questioned this when you bought the handset with a binding contract (reading the T&Ts which you of course read and understood, as you otherwise wouldn't have signed it) so how this is a surprise beats me
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.10.2012, 11:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Horgen
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
andrewota has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ending phone contract early when leaving switzerland

Hi!

I am moving from Switzerland permanently and I called to see if I could cancel my Orange contract which expires in April 2014. They said I could but with a 500 CHF fee, or pay the remaining monthly fees, or transfer the plan to someone.

They didn't really give me a break for leaving the country permanently.

Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contract, deregister, end, leaving switzerland, phone contract




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phone Contract/Pre-Paid for when visiting the UK? Kalpz Other/general 15 28.02.2014 18:24
Bureaucracy when leaving Switzerland Chiffchaff Leaving Switzerland 7 17.11.2010 15:35
Rights to end contracts early when leaving the traveler Housing in general 7 26.10.2010 16:30
Getting a replacement tenant when leaving early jjoensuu Housing in general 6 07.10.2008 22:45
Ending lease early - is landlord in breach? marmot Housing in general 8 30.10.2007 14:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0