Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.12.2007, 18:45
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Squeezebox

Just got a Squeezebox and felt compelled to spout off about it - absolutely bloody brilliant. Takes 5 mins to set up out of the box and the server also lets you see what's playing on the squeezebox(es). Sound quality is exceptional (playing flac) and the optical input is cool.

I'm going to have one in every room asap .
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.12.2007, 22:48
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Just got a Squeezebox and felt compelled to spout off about it - absolutely bloody brilliant. Takes 5 mins to set up out of the box and the server also lets you see what's playing on the squeezebox(es). Sound quality is exceptional (playing flac) and the optical input is cool.

I'm going to have one in every room asap .
I couldn't agree more. Best gadget I have bought this year. I use the simulated VU meters as a screensaver. I have since packed my CD player away in the attic.

Been tempted to get the Transporter?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.12.2007, 22:58
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
I couldn't agree more. Best gadget I have bought this year. I use the simulated VU meters as a screensaver. I have since packed my CD player away in the attic.

Been tempted to get the Transporter?
I've been trying to work out what the difference is for the money - I mean 4 more squeezeboxes or a transporter? Or, more likely, 1 more squeezebox and a new amp and speakers .

The internet radio is also good.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.12.2007, 23:12
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

BTW, you can run the slimserver off a linksys NSLU2 device. It uses very little electricity.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

Takes a bit of configuration, but hey, that makes it even more fun! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.12.2007, 23:56
nyperi13's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fribourg/Freiburg
Posts: 40
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
nyperi13 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Just got a Squeezebox and felt compelled to spout off about it - absolutely bloody brilliant. Takes 5 mins to set up out of the box and the server also lets you see what's playing on the squeezebox(es). Sound quality is exceptional (playing flac) and the optical input is cool.

I'm going to have one in every room asap .
Just curious... Aside from hearing the term "squeezebox" referred to in a song by The Who, could you please fill me in on what a squeezebox means in the context you're speaking of? I don't have a clue Thanks...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nyperi13 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 02.12.2007, 00:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
draculin has made some interesting contributions
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Just curious... Aside from hearing the term "squeezebox" referred to in a song by The Who, could you please fill me in on what a squeezebox means in the context you're speaking of? I don't have a clue Thanks...

Network music player + internet radio Wikipedia reference-linkSqueezebox_(network_music_player)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank draculin for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 02.12.2007, 09:59
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Just curious... Aside from hearing the term "squeezebox" referred to in a song by The Who, could you please fill me in on what a squeezebox means in the context you're speaking of? I don't have a clue Thanks...

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Now taken over by Logitech.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.12.2007, 10:01
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
BTW, you can run the slimserver off a linksys NSLU2 device. It uses very little electricity.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

Takes a bit of configuration, but hey, that makes it even more fun! ;-)

I think I might just have a go at that .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.12.2007, 10:17
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
I've been trying to work out what the difference is for the money - I mean 4 more squeezeboxes or a transporter? Or, more likely, 1 more squeezebox and a new amp and speakers .
Or 2 more Squeezeboxes and two nice sets of headphones . But if you got a Transporter you would likely have to upgrade the rest of your system to match it anyway .

The Transporter is aimed at audiophiles. I had been wondering for a while why CD players are required if you can use software like Exact Audio Copy to rip to FLAC a perfect copy of all your CDs. Hence the Squeezebox.

The problems the Transporter solves are: high quality components, including the DAC, and also the digital only output.

So if your amp only takes analogue inputs, you need a good DAC. The Squeezebox has one of these, but not as good as the Transporter's. Similarly the digital outputs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.12.2007, 10:26
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
BTW, you can run the slimserver off a linksys NSLU2 device. It uses very little electricity.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

Takes a bit of configuration, but hey, that makes it even more fun! ;-)
Only CHF 121 at Digitec too. I'll need an external HDD. But the power saving argument is compelling... How much disk space is taken up by 11.5 days of music in FLAC format?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.12.2007, 10:36
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Or 2 more Squeezeboxes and two nice sets of headphones . But if you got a Transporter you would likely have to upgrade the rest of your system to match it anyway .

The Transporter is aimed at audiophiles. I had been wondering for a while why CD players are required if you can use software like Exact Audio Copy to rip to FLAC a perfect copy of all your CDs. Hence the Squeezebox.

The problems the Transporter solves are: high quality components, including the DAC, and also the digital only output.

So if your amp only takes analogue inputs, you need a good DAC. The Squeezebox has one of these, but not as good as the Transporter's. Similarly the digital outputs.
Get thee behind me ..... .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.12.2007, 10:37
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Only CHF 121 at Digitec too. I'll need an external HDD. But the power saving argument is compelling... How much disk space is taken up by 11.5 days of music in FLAC format?

I got a 500Gb WD 7200 rpm external for 149 Chuffs from Digitec. At the moment, Digitec are the dogs bollocks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.12.2007, 11:26
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Get thee behind me ..... .
Sorry, you have got me going now.

Choose one of these amps to pair with the Transporter (God alone knows which speakers to get):

M/S 2150 XDM only $4180 (includes digital room correction)

Millennium Mk IV a snip at $9990

+ $1999 for the Transporter. XE.com tells me the cheaper combo costs "only" CHF 6750.87. Now, all the USD needs to do is to continue to tank... Go Bush go!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.12.2007, 11:28
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
BTW, you can run the slimserver off a linksys NSLU2 device. It uses very little electricity.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

Takes a bit of configuration, but hey, that makes it even more fun! ;-)

So I ordered one.

If I get stuck we're talking beers round my place?

Got a nifty little Scottish ale maturing nicely .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.12.2007, 11:33
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, you have got me going now.

Choose one of these amps to pair with the Transporter (God alone knows which speakers to get):

M/S 2150 XDM only $4180 (includes digital room correction)

Millennium Mk IV a snip at $9990

+ $1999 for the Transporter. XE.com tells me the cheaper combo costs "only" CHF 6750.87. Now, all the USD needs to do is to continue to tank... Go Bush go!
Dear Santa, ...... (make that Dear Wife .....) .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.12.2007, 14:34
Boy Wonder's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 33 Posts
Boy Wonder has become a little unpopular
Re: Squeezebox

I had a look at http://www.slimdevices.com/ and there seems to be something called Rhapsody which is some sort of music library one can access for a small monthly fee. Anybody using this? Is it really only for Americans as is stated on the homepage, or will they be accepting my foreign money without further inquires?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.12.2007, 15:55
Stephanwolf's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 792
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 583 Times in 317 Posts
Stephanwolf has a reputation beyond reputeStephanwolf has a reputation beyond reputeStephanwolf has a reputation beyond reputeStephanwolf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

Running Slim server on a Synology NAS (107+ 128) and it is brilliant in combination with the Squeezebox. FLACs sound amazin... I have 230 Gb of music so I won't be needing any of those services for a while.. internet radio feature is cool too though.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07.05.2008, 13:03
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,751
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 300 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Squeezebox

Just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ Fully loaded with 4 x 1 TB (Greenpower) discs and a Gig of Ram.

Comes with:

SlimServer built in.
BitTorrent Client
Share your photo's etc.. on the Web
remote access
etc.....

Started ripping my CD's again but in FLAC with EAC etc.. but will take a while as I have around 1000 of them.

If you are interested, contact Mike Dreher at: mdreher@heinigerag.ch

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07.05.2008, 13:20
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 585 Posts
peachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
Just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ Fully loaded with 4 x 1 TB (Greenpower) discs and a Gig of Ram.

Comes with:

SlimServer built in.
BitTorrent Client
Share your photo's etc.. on the Web
remote access
etc.....

Started ripping my CD's again but in FLAC with EAC etc.. but will take a while as I have around 1000 of them.

If you are interested, contact Mike Dreher at: mdreher@heinigerag.ch

Neil
How much was it?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07.05.2008, 13:30
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,751
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 300 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Squeezebox

Quote:
View Post
How much was it?
2,448.30 + 16 for shipping Total: 2464.30

Ordered Friday, and came Monday (but only picked up from Post office last night).

This was with drives (greenpower one's as a 'special') and memory installed, configured and tested.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flac, internet radio, itunes, mp3, music, ogg vorbis, upnp, wav




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0