Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 25.11.2012, 18:04
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,378
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,701 Times in 6,226 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Samsung galaxy Tab 8.9 Wifi - Migros - CHF 222

Quote:
View Post
Tempted, very, very tempted. Love the idea of the google drive back up cos I have a number of external WD drives that fill up drawer space here and there. Funny enough, I am the sort to do complex valuations and programming, but I can leave that for the office or one of the other computers

Going to be looking at it closely today. Thanks again
here's a demo of how quick it is from cold boot:



of course, in standby, it is even faster and it is on instantly when you open the lid.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 26.11.2012, 11:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
mochabear has no particular reputation at present
Re: Samsung galaxy Tab 8.9 Wifi - Migros - CHF 222

I bought this tablet at the weekend. Have to say I'm very happy with it and it looks like they will be bringing an updated android version to it soon so Im very happy.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 26.11.2012, 12:27
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,378
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,701 Times in 6,226 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Quote:
View Post
The question is, would you not just be better off with a Netbook running Windows 7/8
answer is no.

i went to the UK and decided that i would buy one there to use during my stay.

at the last minute, i had to bring also my work laptop and so had a lenovo t420 with windows on it (and also linux installed on an SSD for dual boot).

the work laptop never got used - the always on nature of the chromebook meant that it was always the go-to device.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 26.11.2012, 12:45
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,514
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,956 Times in 3,297 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Anyone found one with a Swiss (DE) keyboard yet?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 26.11.2012, 13:02
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,378
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,701 Times in 6,226 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Quote:
View Post
Anyone found one with a Swiss (DE) keyboard yet?
why would anyone want such an abomination?!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 26.11.2012, 13:23
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,109
Groaned at 104 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 14,647 Times in 4,718 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Quote:
View Post
answer is no.

i went to the UK and decided that i would buy one there to use during my stay.

at the last minute, i had to bring also my work laptop and so had a lenovo t420 with windows on it (and also linux installed on an SSD for dual boot).

the work laptop never got used - the always on nature of the chromebook meant that it was always the go-to device.
I weighed up all the pros and cons of the various options, and instead decided to go for an ASUS Transformer (i.e. Android tablet with keyboard). Its got all the advantages of a tablet (i.e. always on, epic battery life) but with far more offline functionality. I'm pretty pleased with it, but my main tablet is still an iPad so the Transformer is always in the keyboard docked mode
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 26.11.2012, 14:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Quote:
View Post
I weighed up all the pros and cons of the various options, and instead decided to go for an ASUS Transformer (i.e. Android tablet with keyboard). Its got all the advantages of a tablet (i.e. always on, epic battery life) but with far more offline functionality. I'm pretty pleased with it, but my main tablet is still an iPad so the Transformer is always in the keyboard docked mode
I've had the Transformer Infinity for a few months and love the hell out of it. With the keyboard dock you get 12+ hours of battery life, not to mention the SD and USB slots. It's good to be 100% sure the battery will last you the whole day, even with a long plane or train ride ahead of you. The Super IPS screen is great, too. A review I read recently says it's still superior to the retina Nexus 10 screen in every way except for pixel density (and to be honest, 1920x1200 for a 10" tablet is plenty). Plus, detaching the tablet from the keyboard is always fun to freak people out. "Is he BREAKING it?!"
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05.01.2016, 12:50
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,109
Groaned at 104 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 14,647 Times in 4,718 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Well I've finally answered my own questions with a resounding 'Yes' (although 3 years is an eternity in tech)
Bought myself a 13.3" Toshiba Chromebook 2 (the higher 4GB version with 1,920 x 1,080 IPS display) and really like the little guy. Although all-plastic, it still manages to feel premium and the screen and speakers (tuned by Skullcandy) are amazing for the price. On cheaper laptops the keyboard usually suffers with spongy keys and flex around the middle but thats not an issue here, this keyboard is solid with plenty of travel and tactile feedback on the keys. Citrix receiver works brilliantly for logging into work, and I can play any format video off a memory stick for when I'm offline.



So all in all, I think it is definitely worth taking the plunge and getting a stripped down Chromebook because it can do most of what you will ever need to do on a Macbook/Winbook. The only thing I would like to see is more models in the middle price range. Most Chromebooks are sub $300 - 400 and then nothing until the obscenely expensive Chromebook Pixel at $1000
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 05.01.2016, 12:58
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,378
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,701 Times in 6,226 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Quote:
View Post
Well I've finally answered my own questions with a resounding 'Yes' (although 3 years is an eternity in tech)
Bought myself a 13.3" Toshiba Chromebook 2 (the higher 4GB version with 1,920 x 1,080 IPS display) and really like the little guy. Although all-plastic, it still manages to feel premium and the screen and speakers (tuned by Skullcandy) are amazing for the price. On cheaper laptops the keyboard usually suffers with spongy keys and flex around the middle but thats not an issue here, this keyboard is solid with plenty of travel and tactile feedback on the keys. Citrix receiver works brilliantly for logging into work, and I can play any format video off a memory stick for when I'm offline.



So all in all, I think it is definitely worth taking the plunge and getting a stripped down Chromebook because it can do most of what you will ever need to do on a Macbook/Winbook. The only thing I would like to see is more models in the middle price range. Most Chromebooks are sub $300 - 400 and then nothing until the obscenely expensive Chromebook Pixel at $1000
Dell have a mid-range 13" chromebook and lenovo just announced a new 13" thinkpad-like chromebook.

while i'd like a new toy, i'm pretty happy with my acer c720 chrombook so can't justify it!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 05.01.2016, 13:02
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,109
Groaned at 104 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 14,647 Times in 4,718 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chromebook - does it make sense?

Quote:
View Post
Dell have a mid-range 13" chromebook and lenovo just announced a new 13" thinkpad-like chromebook.
What I should have said is, not enough in Currys PC World
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opening Bank Account for Americans, does it even make sense? hrudinsky Finance/banking/taxation 5 28.09.2012 22:45
Does it make sense for a spouse to work occasionally? kerzenlicht Finance/banking/taxation 2 04.01.2011 22:47
Supplementary health insurance - does it make sense? k_and_e Insurance 31 21.11.2010 14:26
Business plan software -- does it make sense? nanners Business & entrepreneur 12 13.11.2009 13:37
Cablecom and Dreambox, does it still make sense? MaZo TV/internet/telephone 3 21.07.2008 10:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0