Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.10.2012, 15:43
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

I have an old Sky + box (Pace) and I can pick up all channels, have got a long cable run. My Sky HD box (5 years old)now looses Channel 5 and BBC 1 South and I am looking to upgrade, potentially if BBC iplayer is being added (I have a dedicated UK network in the house). Can anyone advise me on which new Sky HD box is the best for weak signals?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.10.2012, 14:39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

The ultimate hands down best box for fringe reception was the old Pace 2600 box (2600C1) which was unbeatable (not to be mixed with the less sensitive DS430N); Of course this doesn't help you very much as you want Sky+HD box.

I'm currently using the second generation PACE SKY+HD box and it's very good in deed. I have always been drawn towards PACE's products from the very early analogue days (started with a separate Videocrypt decoder hooked up to a MSS-1000) as the quality (in my eyes) have been a tad better than Thomson and Amstrad boxes. Of course then came Samsung which are supposed to be among the better ones.

I don't think there is a huge difference these days BUT if you could try with a new bigger dish this could have an impact on your reception quality.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Frank2k for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 29.10.2012, 16:07
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
The ultimate hands down best box for fringe reception was the old Pace 2600 box (2600C1) which was unbeatable (not to be mixed with the less sensitive DS430N); Of course this doesn't help you very much as you want Sky+HD box.

I'm currently using the second generation PACE SKY+HD box and it's very good in deed. I have always been drawn towards PACE's products from the very early analogue days (started with a separate Videocrypt decoder hooked up to a MSS-1000) as the quality (in my eyes) have been a tad better than Thomson and Amstrad boxes. Of course then came Samsung which are supposed to be among the better ones.

I don't think there is a huge difference these days BUT if you could try with a new bigger dish this could have an impact on your reception quality.
Like you I am a fan of the early boxes, ie Pace, I did mount a toroidal dish https://www.google.ch/search?q=toroi...w=1600&bih=754

focussed on 28.2 E on Friday together with a 0.1 dB LNB, it gives me plenty of signal, however I think that the preamp on the input of the Thompson box is weak.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank telandy for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.10.2012, 16:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

If possible I would wait until the new Astra 1F is in place early next year. This will certainly have a weaker signal than the current 1N and may even be weaker than the old 2D. Might have a significant impact on what equipment you will need.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.10.2012, 16:22
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
Like you I am a fan of the early boxes, ie Pace, I did mount a toroidal dish https://www.google.ch/search?q=toroi...w=1600&bih=754

focussed on 28.2 E on Friday together with a 0.1 dB LNB, it gives me plenty of signal, however I think that the preamp on the input of the Thompson box is weak.
This is a very hard dish to set up as an amateur. Without a digital sat meter, I'd say your setup is the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.11.2012, 14:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
...however I think that the preamp on the input of the Thompson box is weak.
And some of the Thomson receivers also had problems with the power supply resulting in loss of channels... Could be that this has been fixed, but used to be a huge problem
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.11.2012, 15:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
This is a very hard dish to set up as an amateur. Without a digital sat meter, I'd say your setup is the problem.
I would not say so tbh.

Just make sure the dish is aligned straight at the closest the most due South satellite at your specific position. Most important of all, as always, the pole which the dish is mounted to should be dead level vertically so the inclination is correct as per the bracket holding the LNB's. Nothing more to it than setting up a USALS motor w/ dish I'd say...

Never-the-less I have had many good fun hours playing around with my dishes

PS. Of course if you want 28.2E to be the prime focal sat, ignore the most due South sat
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.11.2012, 22:06
Williams-S's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Williams-S has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
If possible I would wait until the new Astra 1F is in place early next year. This will certainly have a weaker signal than the current 1N and may even be weaker than the old 2D. Might have a significant impact on what equipment you will need.
FYI The new Astra satellite will be in place and active this month not text year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.11.2012, 22:09
Williams-S's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Williams-S has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
I have an old Sky + box (Pace) and I can pick up all channels, have got a long cable run. My Sky HD box (5 years old)now looses Channel 5 and BBC 1 South and I am looking to upgrade, potentially if BBC iplayer is being added (I have a dedicated UK network in the house). Can anyone advise me on which new Sky HD box is the best for weak signals?
These Thompson boxes are always having signal issues on BBC and ch5 due to the power supply unit being faulty.
You can repair them easy by replacing all the resistors in the power supply. I have done about 20 so far and each one is still working to this day.

Or just bin it and get a new HD box as they are smaller and quiet compared to the original Thompson boxes.

A long cable run should make no difference to the signal really. Unless you are using 200M of cable. I would upgrade your dish size and re align.

What size do you have now?

Good luck guys.

Happy to help
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Williams-S for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 09.11.2012, 22:36
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

I ended up getting a reconditioned Samsung HD box sent out from the UK. It is sitting in a post box in Germany and I will pick it up next week. Even with the signal attached I cannot pick up Channel 5 and BBC1 South on the old Thompson HD box. Hopefully the new box will be ok and I can get the on demand channels, the old Thompson box isn't upgradable and Sky wanted another GBP 250 for a new box. Picture is of the signal on the Pace Sky + box
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09.11.2012, 22:42
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
These Thompson boxes are always having signal issues on BBC and ch5 due to the power supply unit being faulty.
You can repair them easy by replacing all the resistors in the power supply. I have done about 20 so far and each one is still working to this day.
The problem with the Thompson Boxes is that they are the only ones which cannot be upgraded for the On Demand Services. Is a kit available? I did an apprenticeship as an Electronic Test Engineer, so changing some resistors is a doddle, at least it would give me a spare box.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.11.2012, 02:06
John McClane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 383
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 281 Times in 144 Posts
John McClane has earned the respect of manyJohn McClane has earned the respect of manyJohn McClane has earned the respect of many
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

"Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception "

What?? Nobody on the EF said "Why would you want your tv to attain poor reception? "
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10.11.2012, 09:28
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for weak signals

Quote:
View Post
"Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception "

What?? Nobody on the EF said "Why would you want your tv to attain poor reception? "
Sorry I mean't weak signals, but it looks like the Power Supply on the Thompson is pooped!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.11.2012, 09:58
Williams-S's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Williams-S has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Hi

Yes I am very sure that your signal is fine and it is just your boxes power supply that is faulty.
The Samsung one should do the job.
How do you intend on getting on demand services here? What kind of system are you using for that??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.11.2012, 10:00
Williams-S's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Williams-S has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
The problem with the Thompson Boxes is that they are the only ones which cannot be upgraded for the On Demand Services. Is a kit available? I did an apprenticeship as an Electronic Test Engineer, so changing some resistors is a doddle, at least it would give me a spare box.
Yes changing the resistors is easy. I have a few resistor packs left myself which have instructions. I bought them off eBay quite cheap. That was a long time ago though.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.11.2012, 15:16
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
Hi

Yes I am very sure that your signal is fine and it is just your boxes power supply that is faulty.
The Samsung one should do the job.
How do you intend on getting on demand services here? What kind of system are you using for that??
I have my normal Swiss Router and connected to one of the ports is another router which is running a UK VPN (as Firmware) inside this second router.
Using this second router I have a UK Wireless network and LAN available in the house. Works a treat. I did give a bit of explanation BBC Iplayer comes to sky
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13.11.2012, 20:38
Williams-S's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Williams-S has no particular reputation at present
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Quote:
View Post
I have my normal Swiss Router and connected to one of the ports is another router which is running a UK VPN (as Firmware) inside this second router.
Using this second router I have a UK Wireless network and LAN available in the house. Works a treat. I did give a bit of explanation BBC Iplayer comes to sky
Just read your previous post about this. Sounds great.

Where did you get your router that has a built in VPN?

pm me if you prefer.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14.11.2012, 07:40
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 378 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Hi I got the router from eBay in the Uk, it had already been flashed for an open VPN. The VPN company I use have a script on their website and instructions on how to install it. I had to frig around with the settings a bit, the VPN company offered to check all the router settings for me, but I managed to sort it out myself before I got them involved. From the sky box or Freesat box I just use a wireless dongle which connects to my Uk network. Google DDT router for more info! I may get another router since we have two Internet connections, business and private and see whether I can flash the router myself. The idea came from this forum so please do some searching. I will pm you the VPN company when I am back in Switzerland later today.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14.11.2012, 10:28
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St Louis, France
Posts: 228
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 214 Times in 79 Posts
Manley Hopkins is considered knowledgeableManley Hopkins is considered knowledgeableManley Hopkins is considered knowledgeable
Re: Which Sky HD Box is best for poor reception

Hi, could you please also pm me the name of the vpn company? I know this has been answered extensively, and I have searched, but I'm a bit clueless in these matters. Using this vpn for my computer, I could access itv player etc?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bbc, sky, sky hd




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ITV HD on a SKY HD box telandy TV/internet/telephone 0 28.06.2009 17:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0