Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:05
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,012
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,072 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
BBC Two Wales

Thanks to the set top box of our cable provider I can watch BBC one and two ,altough we get the Wales edition, and this is where my problem lies.

Now do understand me right, I have nothing against the welsh or wales per se,but I am getting a tad miffed when I want to watch a programme like 'nevermind the buzzcocks' or 'saxondale' and then the channel switches to BBC 2W,e.g. I get to see a welsh national programme which I am honestly not very much interested in.

I would like to write to our cable provider and ask them to change the setting to another edition of BBC one and two,but can we get in Switzerland other editions of these two channels and which ones would that be?

I want to write them with as much background info as I can get, to up the chances of a change and who knows they might even give in to my constant nagging and add more english channels
__________________
Voluntary SWISS shoe -horn to Expats since 1999, do I get a medal now?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:08
DaveA
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BBC Two Wales

Get satellite, then you get all the regional programming. As my friend pointed out , you can get Grampian TV which is almost identical to STV Scotland except slower.

dave


Quote:
View Post
Thanks to the set top box of our cable provider I can watch BBC one and two ,altough we get the Wales edition, and this is where my problem lies.

Now do understand me right, I have nothing against the welsh or wales per se,but I am getting a tad miffed when I want to watch a programme like 'nevermind the buzzcocks' or 'saxondale' and then the channel switches to BBC 2W,e.g. I get to see a welsh national programme which I am honestly not very much interested in.

I would like to write to our cable provider and ask them to change the setting to another edition of BBC one and two,but can we get in Switzerland other editions of these two channels and which ones would that be?

I want to write them with as much background info as I can get, to up the chances of a change and who knows they might even give in to my constant nagging and add more english channels
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,290
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

Quote:
View Post
Thanks to the set top box of our cable provider I can watch BBC one and two ,altough we get the Wales edition, and this is where my problem lies.

Now do understand me right, I have nothing against the welsh or wales per se,but I am getting a tad miffed when I want to watch a programme like 'nevermind the buzzcocks' or 'saxondale' and then the channel switches to BBC 2W,e.g. I get to see a welsh national programme which I am honestly not very much interested in.

I would like to write to our cable provider and ask them to change the setting to another edition of BBC one and two,but can we get in Switzerland other editions of these two channels and which ones would that be?

I want to write them with as much background info as I can get, to up the chances of a change and who knows they might even give in to my constant nagging and add more english channels
You're sure it's cable and not satellite? You can pick up all flavours of BBC on the Satellite, but on cable it should be standard beeb, none of the regional boondocks versions.

I've picked it up on both satellite and cable and the only time I saw the regional versions was on Satellite.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:21
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,012
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,072 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

hubby doesn't want a satellite dish and if I want to stay married to him I better accept that....and need to get my fixes of british telly in another way.
And no I can't make use of the free Internet TV such as Zattoo as they don't provide subtexts.

The set top box is for digi-tv as they call it ,with the normal cable connection i only get BBC Prime and with digi-tv I get the mentioned BBC 1 & 2 Wales and BBC World too.

http://213.142.160.10/index.php?id=33

Anyhoo,we are spoiled with a gazillion channels over that box from all over Europe and countries such as Russia,China,Thailand,Kurd tv, and al jazeera even .

So I think I can ask humbly that at least the two british channels should be 'normal' and plain.
Get what i mean?
__________________
Voluntary SWISS shoe -horn to Expats since 1999, do I get a medal now?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,290
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

Yes, one would expect it to be plain old BBC. Hubby doesn't want a dish, - now there's a surprise. Will it deface the building? Because if that's the case, there are other options. Also, it's all free to air.

Maybe your provider (was that the link to your provider, Evard) has BBC london in there somewhere.

Isn't Cablecom an option?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gooner for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:54
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,012
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,072 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

Quote:
View Post
Yes, one would expect it to be plain old BBC. Hubby doesn't want a dish, - now there's a surprise. Will it deface the building? Because if that's the case, there are other options. Also, it's all free to air.

Maybe your provider (was that the link to your provider, Evard) has BBC london in there somewhere.

Isn't Cablecom an option?
Nope Cablecom is not an option as they are responsible ( network issues?) for the City of Biel and a few suburbs,the rest is covered by Evard, that's the provider and we got the SD box of them,and nope they haven't got BBC London.

AFAIK, they get the channels themselves with a few superbig dishes on top of their building ( I can almost see it from here) and they then share it out amongst a small local network that feeds into mos tof the tiny villages around here up to Solothurn.

well the thing that ruffles my feathers is that two of our neighbours (both also friends of hubby) are in fact allowed to have the dishes, and they could conceal them very well on their patio respectively balcony.
It's because we are on the top floor without possibilty of hiding such a dish he doesn't want one, the other bummer is that the appartment block belongs to him and thus I can't do anything really.
He is also dead against this wall mounted white-ish boxes that are similar to a satellite dish

Oh well rant over and back to my initial question, so BBC London is freely available over air e.g. for Evard to feed then into their network?
__________________
Voluntary SWISS shoe -horn to Expats since 1999, do I get a medal now?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.12.2007, 16:59
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

contact the provider who are most certainly retransmitting the FTA stream and ask them nicely to use the BBC2 feed on 10773 H (tp45) at 28.2 east.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lob for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.12.2007, 17:07
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,012
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,072 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

thanks oh rocking lobster

will do that, any other or more numbers and techie stuff to add?? Coz I will also nag a-bloody-gain to get them to add Beeb 3 and 4 to the list.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.12.2007, 17:08
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

you might find that their limiting factor is their infrastructure. I could talk more about what they will have in the broadcasting pipeline but I'd frankly bore you.

But ask. You might well be shocked.....who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18.12.2007, 20:18
JVC
 
Posts: n/a
Re: BBC Two Wales

Sorry, can't resist, but is Biel considered as part of the "Welsh part" of Switzerland?

Please tell me that it was a simple mistake, and not that someone thought BBC Wales more appropriate for your area
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.12.2007, 20:39
Jekyll's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 886
Groaned at 35 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 475 Posts
Jekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

Bluewin TV has London regional programming. Only slightly better than Welsh I know, but none the less, better.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18.12.2007, 20:43
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: zug
Posts: 224
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 76 Posts
jobfin has earned the respect of manyjobfin has earned the respect of manyjobfin has earned the respect of many
Re: BBC Two Wales

lol when we were over in England (Cheshire) we changed our telly in our bedroom (not aerial) and all we could get was BBC Wales, not good! Helped me tolerate Swiss TV though. I had also become a fan of Big Brother lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.12.2007, 21:45
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,012
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,072 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, can't resist, but is Biel considered as part of the "Welsh part" of Switzerland?

Please tell me that it was a simple mistake, and not that someone thought BBC Wales more appropriate for your area

ROFL jvc,you are right indeed,if you look at it from this angle we are the 'welsh' of Switzerland,well sort of.

I don't mind the the welsh programmes as such I even snapped up some words but it gets on my wick that everytime when there is something interesting ( e.g comedy more often than not ) on regular Beeb 2,they switch to some welsh national programme......
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.12.2007, 22:25
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BBC Two Wales

Quote:
View Post

I don't mind the the welsh programmes as such I even snapped up some words but it gets on my wick that everytime when there is something interesting ( e.g comedy more often than not ) on regular Beeb 2,they switch to some welsh national programme......
reading between the lines .....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.12.2007, 22:41
tigerli's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 223
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 261 Times in 135 Posts
tigerli has earned the respect of manytigerli has earned the respect of manytigerli has earned the respect of many
Re: BBC Two Wales

Learning some Welsh might help you understand the culture of the Helvetii.

http://www.goddessmystic.com/PathAct...language.shtml

Even Swiss-German is descended from the original celtic languages.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18.12.2007, 23:30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: zug
Posts: 224
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 76 Posts
jobfin has earned the respect of manyjobfin has earned the respect of manyjobfin has earned the respect of many
Re: BBC Two Wales

lol I haven't travelled to Switzerland to watch Welsh tv, but I'm over the moon you can get CBeebies!! Somethings are best kept british lol. Wait till you lot have children you'll be worshipping the BBC.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bbc 1 2, change editions




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BBC iplayer telandy TV/internet/telephone 56 12.06.2010 16:45
BBC radio 4 Scarfie TV/internet/telephone 20 29.06.2009 18:43
Advertising on bbc.com Lou General off-topic 27 10.11.2007 11:25
Six Nations - Scotland v Wales ossian Social events 3 24.02.2007 01:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0