Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
View Poll Results: Your choice
Asus Padfone 2 1 6.67%
HTC One 1 6.67%
Motorola Razr HD 0 0%
Samsung Galaxy S4 3 20.00%
Samsung Galaxy S3 4G version 1 6.67%
Samsung Galaxy Note II 4G version 0 0%
Sony Xperia Z 1 6.67%
Other 3 20.00%
I am skipping this generation 3 20.00%
I am sticking to my iPhone 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 15.08.2013, 12:49
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,475
Groaned at 247 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 15,964 Times in 6,602 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Especially in LG's position, one of the smaller players in the smartphone industry.
No. 3 in the world ... not exactly small.
  #42  
Old 15.08.2013, 13:03
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,445
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 6,754 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
And the other is that its 'Proudly made in the USA', which to be honest is not high on my priority list.
it's a negative for me. i think phones made in china will be of a higher quality.
  #43  
Old 15.08.2013, 13:29
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,294
Groaned at 103 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 15,216 Times in 4,906 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
it's a negative for me. i think phones made in china will be of a higher quality.
Not air planes though
  #44  
Old 15.08.2013, 19:56
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 911
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 443 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
No. 3 in the world ... not exactly small.
Actually you could have written even more.
In your link I read:
LG Electronics became the world’s third-largest smartphone vendor in the first quarter, but its position is far from secure.

The biggest news was that LG maintained No3 in the 2nd quarter of the year.
It was the first time in a really long time that somebody managed to keep No3 for more than a quarter. It was changing hands all the time between LG, ZTE, Sony and Huawei.
Not that this means that LG has finally established iself at No3.... Lenovo is coming fast, ZTE and Huawei are close, and Sony has released some really good mid-range phones (better than the Xperia Z).
But still, holding the 3rd spot for a second quarter in a row, this was some achievement.
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 19.08.2013, 00:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 566
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 266 Times in 167 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
I would skip for sure, unless this rumour of a new GS4 with a Snapdragon 800 Qcore 2.3GHz processor and a new faster GPU is true.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/07/19/...the-galaxy-s4/

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_for_...-news-6406.php

Having said that, it might be worth waiting to see if the GS5 will get the aluminium and some of the specifications in this thread.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...pecs-and-price


But I have to admit what I really like is the design in this concept image, although I don't think the folding part is really an option.
http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/08/sam...laxy-s5-rumor/
well it seems to be true, there is a new GS4 with more beefy specification coming soon.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/08/17/international-lte-a-galaxy-s4-gt-i9506-visits-fcc/

Now, this I would not mind getting ...
  #46  
Old 19.08.2013, 12:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Just a note about the upgraded S4 (i9506) for those who care about custom roms. It will likely be a similar situation to the Galaxy S Plus (vs. S2) where it will have much less support. Right now with the normal S4 (i9505) they have the Google Edition to fall back on, so custom mods are as good as they can get. The upgraded S4 likely won't have a Google Edition, so its custom roms will be a lot more wonky. And I'd argue the performance difference will be negligible.
  #47  
Old 19.08.2013, 21:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Western Switzerland
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
chetan8905 has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Why would they want to cannibalise their own 'branded' sales with another Nexus phone? They've already proven themselves with the Nexus 4 (apart from initial supply chain hiccups), now its time to fortify their brand. Its one of the main reasons that HTC moved away from being an unknown OEM manufacturer to being what it is today (however they still describe themselves as 'Quietly Brilliant', a throwback to their past)

There are only two stand out points to the Moto X. One is the fact that you can custom build your phone.. which is err nice



And the other is that its 'Proudly made in the USA', which to be honest is not high on my priority list.

That makes sense (about the cannibalisation)... didn't think of that (I'm 13, not the first thing I think of when people say they 'don't want success')

I agree about the customisation, but right now it's only for AT&T, and the Made in the USA thing is also something, that's well, good for the US economy of course, but it's not something I'll buy a phone for...

Just have to ask something: How do I only quote a part of a post (I've never really used forums a lot before)? Thanks
  #48  
Old 19.08.2013, 21:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Western Switzerland
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
chetan8905 has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
No. 3 in the world ... not exactly small.
Well, I don't mean small, but it's not massive.
Wrong use of words. Sorry.

The thing is, there's a big difference. It may be No 3, but there's a large gap between the bigger ones.
  #49  
Old 20.08.2013, 02:47
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,475
Groaned at 247 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 15,964 Times in 6,602 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Just have to ask something: How do I only quote a part of a post (I've never really used forums a lot before)? Thanks
Press the Quote button to quote the whole post, then simply edit the text (select and delete) to leave what you want. Be careful, though:

- Do not erase the html code (stuff inside square brackets, including the square brackets themselves) at the start and end of the quote;
- Never edit a quote to deliberately misrepresent a poster.
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 20.08.2013, 08:44
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,195
Groaned at 170 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 15,917 Times in 6,458 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
edit a quote to deliberately misrepresent a poster - it's fun!
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 20.08.2013, 18:56
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 911
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 443 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Just a note about the upgraded S4 (i9506) for those who care about custom roms. It will likely be a similar situation to the Galaxy S Plus (vs. S2) where it will have much less support. Right now with the normal S4 (i9505) they have the Google Edition to fall back on, so custom mods are as good as they can get. The upgraded S4 likely won't have a Google Edition, so its custom roms will be a lot more wonky. And I'd argue the performance difference will be negligible.
I completely agree.
If I bought the S4, I would only consider the i9505 version in order to take advantage of the Google Edition ROMs.
Even if the i9500 is slightly faster or the i9506 a lot faster, I wouldn't care.
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 23.08.2013, 16:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 566
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 266 Times in 167 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

For those interested, interdiscount is offering a 150CHF off the SG4 today only!

look at the bon at the bottom of this page:
http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/l...freitag*&Nty=1

plus you can get coop points ...
  #53  
Old 23.08.2013, 16:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
For those interested, interdiscount is offering a 150CHF off the SG4 today only!

look at the bon at the bottom of this page:
http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/l...freitag*&Nty=1

plus you can get coop points ...
It's easy to claim 150 CHF off when you make up the non-discounted price, the phone doesn't cost 750 and hasn't in a long time. Current lowest price in Switzerland: 560 CHF.
  #54  
Old 23.08.2013, 16:19
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 13,224
Groaned at 199 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 15,557 Times in 7,913 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

I so need a new one, like a year ago..

But am at a loss, what's out there for a non tech, who is disappointed by htc, has an iphone aversion and needs a reliable sumfin to mod on. And isn't a shopper, in general, to be excited looking at something,touching and testing (unless its an instrument,hahah)
  #55  
Old 23.08.2013, 16:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
I so need a new one, like a year ago..

But am at a loss, what's out there for a non tech, who is disappointed by htc, has an iphone aversion and needs a reliable sumfin to mod on. And isn't a shopper, in general, to be excited looking at something,touching and testing (unless its an instrument,hahah)
The best deal I've seen for a phone recently is this one for the Xperia V at MediaMarkt: http://shop.mediamarkt.ch/fr/photo-t...r/idppkmtfol77 You can order online and pick up at one of their stores.

A lot of smartphone for the money. They must be emptying stock in preparation for the next generation of Sony phones, that's why the price is so low. For less than 400 CHF, you get a good HD screen, 4G/LTE, waterproof, 13 MP camera, a MicroSD memory card slot. Nice-looking phone and not too big.
This user would like to thank Russkov for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 23.08.2013, 23:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 566
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 266 Times in 167 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Did not realise that digitec now has also the other colours (aside from white and black) of SG4 in stock
https://www.digitec.ch/Produktsuche1...,267838,267841
  #57  
Old 23.08.2013, 23:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 566
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 266 Times in 167 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
The best deal I've seen for a phone recently is this one for the Xperia V at MediaMarkt: http://shop.mediamarkt.ch/fr/photo-t...r/idppkmtfol77 You can order online and pick up at one of their stores.

A lot of smartphone for the money. They must be emptying stock in preparation for the next generation of Sony phones, that's why the price is so low. For less than 400 CHF, you get a good HD screen, 4G/LTE, waterproof, 13 MP camera, a MicroSD memory card slot. Nice-looking phone and not too big.
I have to say, I have had a Sony, it was the Sony Xperia S and yes it has the 13mp camera but the system was slow even with the fast processor and the camera's quality was not up to spec.
ended up going with the SG3-LTE (i9305) and it has been an absolute life changer. probably the best phone I have had and I have had a few!

One can get the S3 without the LTE (i9300) at 411CHF http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_292208.html which is 150CHF cheaper then the SG4 and only an extra 31CHF on the Sony Xperia V.
This user would like to thank we_da_man for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 24.08.2013, 08:54
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 911
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 443 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
I have to say, I have had a Sony, it was the Sony Xperia S and yes it has the 13mp camera but the system was slow even with the fast processor and the camera's quality was not up to spec.
ended up going with the SG3-LTE (i9305) and it has been an absolute life changer. probably the best phone I have had and I have had a few!

One can get the S3 without the LTE (i9300) at 411CHF http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_292208.html which is 150CHF cheaper then the SG4 and only an extra 31CHF on the Sony Xperia V.
The Xperia S was from a time when Sony(-Ericsson) was still trying to figure out what to do with Android.
Starting with their late 2012 devices (Xperia T, Xperia V, Xperia TX, etc). they finally nailed it and the user experience is vastly improved in comparison to the Xperia S.
That said, I do not recommend the Xperia V because it's battery life is pretty bad.



Quote:
View Post
I so need a new one, like a year ago..

But am at a loss, what's out there for a non tech, who is disappointed by htc, has an iphone aversion and needs a reliable sumfin to mod on. And isn't a shopper, in general, to be excited looking at something,touching and testing (unless its an instrument,hahah)
My English does not help.... You are saying that you would like to be able to mod (=root, change the ROM, etc) your phone, or is the bolt part some slung I do not understand?
Sorry for the question.
  #59  
Old 25.08.2013, 16:55
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 13,224
Groaned at 199 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 15,557 Times in 7,913 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
My English does not help.... You are saying that you would like to be able to mod (=root, change the ROM, etc) your phone, or is the bolt part some slung I do not understand?
Sorry for the question.
No problem, it was my fault for not being explicit, I have troubles with online editing window on my HTC, looks like a software problem. So ideally, I want to get a phone I can do a lot with online, typing, etc. I do have to get tapatalk, I know, people have recomended.

By the way, battery life can be extended, I do want a phone with a decent bat life but which one has it..none, really. There are back up batt sources I don't mind getting, if the cell is worth being trucked around.
  #60  
Old 25.08.2013, 18:33
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
Posts: 911
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 443 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
No problem, it was my fault for not being explicit, I have troubles with online editing window on my HTC, looks like a software problem. So ideally, I want to get a phone I can do a lot with online, typing, etc. I do have to get tapatalk, I know, people have recomended.

By the way, battery life can be extended, I do want a phone with a decent bat life but which one has it..none, really. There are back up batt sources I don't mind getting, if the cell is worth being trucked around.
I see. In this case I think you should definitely consider the Samsung Galaxy S4.
It can do everything the normal S4 can do, with the camera and the screen being inferior though, it is better-sized for most people and its battery life is excellent.
If you'd like to spend a bit less, you should consider the Motorola Razr i (with its special industrial design) and the Sony Xperia SP.

The Razr i has no 4G; the other two do.
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
Closed Thread

Tags
android, smartphone




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new Android beasts are out dawiz General off-topic 26 29.02.2012 07:54
Books: Which one impressed you the most ? allegra_:) General off-topic 51 09.02.2010 01:20
Buying a new mountain bike - but which one? Any thoughts? Harriet and Patrick Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 6 05.08.2009 20:16
new in town, looking for new friends. Elee Introductions 7 30.11.2008 19:37
Dual Citizen - one EU, one not. Use which? chris lane Permits/visas/government 11 19.02.2007 04:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0