Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
View Poll Results: Your choice
Asus Padfone 2 1 6.67%
HTC One 1 6.67%
Motorola Razr HD 0 0%
Samsung Galaxy S4 3 20.00%
Samsung Galaxy S3 4G version 1 6.67%
Samsung Galaxy Note II 4G version 0 0%
Sony Xperia Z 1 6.67%
Other 3 20.00%
I am skipping this generation 3 20.00%
I am sticking to my iPhone 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #581  
Old 30.01.2014, 17:20
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,635
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,556 Times in 7,037 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
there's a reason why many governments don't buy Lenovo products. I'm sure they're not out to screw Motorola per se - the problem is just that Lenovo, overall, isn't very trustworthy and allegations about government-involvment and malware placement have been making the rounds for years. For that reason alone I won't be buying Lenovo products. It's bad enough that the US is spying on every move we make, but I really don't need the Chinese to do the same.
only allegations i heard were from the US and it turns out that they were trying to push people onto products that they had inserted malware into...
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #582  
Old 30.01.2014, 17:25
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
and it turns out that they were trying to push people onto products that they had inserted malware into...
Sources? AFAIK the US government just agreed to extend their maintenance contract with Blackberry, which happens to be a Canadian company. Apart from that: Motorola will mean Chinese malware on the hardware level and American malware on the software level -> no thanks. But I'm certainly not trying to keep anyone else from buying Lenovo products. It's just that I personally try to avoid Chinese products whenever possible. I know most hardware is either manufactured and assembled or at least manufactured in China - but with European, American etc. companies, the design itself comes from semi-decent places.
  #583  
Old 30.01.2014, 17:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
05hi has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Lenovo makes some of the best hardware out there.
In addition nobody injects malware into all manufactured units. These operations are targeted and usually happen by intercepting the shipment process and not at a vendor level.
  #584  
Old 30.01.2014, 17:37
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Lenovo makes some of the best hardware out there.
In addition nobody injects malware into all manufactured units. These operations are targeted and usually happen by intercepting the shipment process and not at a vendor level.
My experiences with Lenovo have been very different - the consumer devices (and that's what we're talking about here) are utter crap. Fortunately for us, Lenovo isn't very present on the Swiss consumer market.
  #585  
Old 30.01.2014, 18:05
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,316
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,620 Times in 5,012 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
My experiences with Lenovo have been very different - the consumer devices (and that's what we're talking about here) are utter crap. Fortunately for us, Lenovo isn't very present on the Swiss consumer market.
I would strong disagree, my daily driver is an X-series ThinkPad and it is the best engineered 'PC' laptop on the market... period. I've owned ThinkPads since the early 486 days and was initially afraid that Lenovo wouldn't be able to carry IBM's mantle, but I needn't have ever worried.

If you want utter, utter consumer crap try ASUS, HP, ACER and DELL (how they're still in business I will never know )
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #586  
Old 30.01.2014, 18:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
05hi has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
My experiences with Lenovo have been very different - the consumer devices (and that's what we're talking about here) are utter crap. Fortunately for us, Lenovo isn't very present on the Swiss consumer market.
Valid point regarding consumer devices. I have to admit I only used products from business lines. Following this path consumer devices are not the primary target of goverment malware.
  #587  
Old 30.01.2014, 18:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,235
Groaned at 866 Times in 607 Posts
Thanked 16,720 Times in 6,570 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
My experiences with Lenovo have been very different - the consumer devices (and that's what we're talking about here) are utter crap. Fortunately for us, Lenovo isn't very present on the Swiss consumer market.

Sorry but they are not at all "utter crap", they are highly regarded by users and critics alike. The Lenovo Y580 for example is one of the best selling multimedia laptops on the market, and almost all Lenovos have excellent keyboards and at worst average build quality.

No offence, but you seem to make a fair few blanket (and sometimes quite frankly rubbish) statements that don't always stand up to closer scrutiny.

Last edited by Chuff; 30.01.2014 at 18:54.
  #588  
Old 30.01.2014, 18:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
05hi has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry but they are not at all "utter crap", they are highly regarded by users and critics alike. The Lenovo Y580 for example is one of the best selling multimedia laptops on the market, and almost all Lenovos have excellent keyboards and at worst average build quality.

No offence, but you seem to make a hell of a lot of blanket statements that don't always stand up to closer scrutiny.
I just said I hove no experience with consumer devices. I fully agree though that thinkpads are the best laptops without a doubt. I have been using them for more than 10 years now. They are great.
This user would like to thank 05hi for this useful post:
  #589  
Old 30.01.2014, 18:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,235
Groaned at 866 Times in 607 Posts
Thanked 16,720 Times in 6,570 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
I just said I hove no experience with consumer devices. I fully agree though that thinkpads are the best laptops without a doubt. I have been using them for more than 10 years now. They are great.
Apologies, I quoted you by mistake. Ive amended it now to add dawiz's quote.
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #590  
Old 30.01.2014, 22:03
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
No offence, but you seem to make a fair few blanket (and sometimes quite frankly rubbish) statements that don't always stand up to closer scrutiny.
Problem is: so do you, quite often, actually. I was in charge of maintaining around 150 Lenovo laptops shortly after they were transitioned over from IBM. The quality took an almost immediate hit and customer service went down the drain. We later moved everything to HP for that reason - hardware wasn't any better but customer service was. Same goes for Dell. Lenovo is insanely expensive (just head over to lenovo.ch and configure a T440 with the same innards as a current generation rMBP), awfully designed, heavy with lousy touchpads. And they call the T440 an ultrabook. At 1.8+kg? come on.

I'm talking about business machines here, not consumer crap - those are even worse.

Apart from that: isn't there a mod here? This thread is about Android smartphones.
  #591  
Old 30.01.2014, 23:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,235
Groaned at 866 Times in 607 Posts
Thanked 16,720 Times in 6,570 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Problem is: so do you, quite often, actually. I was in charge of maintaining around 150 Lenovo laptops shortly after they were transitioned over from IBM. The quality took an almost immediate hit and customer service went down the drain. We later moved everything to HP for that reason - hardware wasn't any better but customer service was. Same goes for Dell. Lenovo is insanely expensive (just head over to lenovo.ch and configure a T440 with the same innards as a current generation rMBP), awfully designed, heavy with lousy touchpads. And they call the T440 an ultrabook. At 1.8+kg? come on.

I'm talking about business machines here, not consumer crap - those are even worse.

Apart from that: isn't there a mod here? This thread is about Android smartphones.
And for the first years of my career here I looked after the IT for an entire office full of around 500 Lenovos and around 200 HP Elitebooks, but hey who's counting?

Fact is, they are not (business or consumer) "utter crap", and no sensible person, professional or otherwise, would agree with that. I know my hardware when it comes to computers and phones, and my opinion is objective and balanced.

Last edited by Chuff; 30.01.2014 at 23:23.
  #592  
Old 31.01.2014, 10:00
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Is the Moto X available anywhere to purchase in Switzerland? I see Digitec is getting the Moto G in soon, but I can't find the X anywhere
  #593  
Old 31.01.2014, 16:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,235
Groaned at 866 Times in 607 Posts
Thanked 16,720 Times in 6,570 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

The Sony Z1 COmpact is getting rave reviews, will head to Media Markt tonight to check it out, hopefully they have them in stock.

PS: Wonder if they will price match Digitec... hmm...
  #594  
Old 31.01.2014, 16:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,873
Groaned at 222 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,008 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
The Sony Z1 COmpact is getting rave reviews, will head to Media Markt tonight to check it out, hopefully they have them in stock.

PS: Wonder if they will price match Digitec... hmm...
Link to reviews?
  #595  
Old 31.01.2014, 16:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,235
Groaned at 866 Times in 607 Posts
Thanked 16,720 Times in 6,570 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Link to reviews?
Phonearena, GSMarena, Engadget... plenty on google.
  #596  
Old 31.01.2014, 16:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,873
Groaned at 222 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,008 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
Phonearena, GSMarena, Engadget... plenty on google.
I read the engadget one and it was hardly rave. Think the word they used was 'solid.'

But I can't be arsed to find the others if you can't be arsed to post them.
  #597  
Old 01.02.2014, 14:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,235
Groaned at 866 Times in 607 Posts
Thanked 16,720 Times in 6,570 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

So, yesterday I went to Media Markt and picked up a Sony Z1 Compact, which they price-matched to Digitec.

Oh. My. God.

I love this phone, I mean really love it. The size and weght are perfect, it feels like the Android equivalent of an iPhone, and whoever makes any reference to "omg the bezel is big" has no clue what they are talking about. They are a non-issue.

The speed and responsiveness of this phone are amazing. I have never owned a Snapdragon 800 before so maybe this is par the course for an SOC of this calibre, but the phone is lightning in its responsiveness.

The display is IPS, so like an IPS, is great. Enough said. Text legibility is great, basically like the Samsung Galaxy SII in size, so for me is perfect.

The call quality is great. The speaker is actually surprisingly decent, but positioned so that its easy to cover with your hand when holding it. However, in reality not a big issue.

The Sony UI is very clean, I like it more than Samsung Touchwiz, although overall functionality is probably less. However, considering Samsung tend to over-functionalise things seemingly for the sake of it, for me that's not an issue.

Camera, same as the Z1, very decent. Wireless speed, like lightning with my 802.11ac router... apps and updated download and install incredibly quick.

As for battery life, I will report back in a couple of days. Best phone I have ever owned. End of.

Excuse the short paragraphing, but I am currently feeling rather delicate.

Last edited by Chuff; 01.02.2014 at 15:05.
The following 4 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #598  
Old 01.02.2014, 21:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cumbies has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Just got a Samsung S4 and love it. Synching my PC outlook has been a bit of a challenge but I did find an app that helps pull this off.
  #599  
Old 02.02.2014, 00:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,873
Groaned at 222 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,008 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

Quote:
View Post
So, yesterday I went to Media Markt and picked up a Sony Z1 Compact, which they price-matched to Digitec.

Oh. My. God.

I love this phone, I mean really love it. The size and weght are perfect, it feels like the Android equivalent of an iPhone, and whoever makes any reference to "omg the bezel is big" has no clue what they are talking about. They are a non-issue.

The speed and responsiveness of this phone are amazing. I have never owned a Snapdragon 800 before so maybe this is par the course for an SOC of this calibre, but the phone is lightning in its responsiveness.

The display is IPS, so like an IPS, is great. Enough said. Text legibility is great, basically like the Samsung Galaxy SII in size, so for me is perfect.

The call quality is great. The speaker is actually surprisingly decent, but positioned so that its easy to cover with your hand when holding it. However, in reality not a big issue.

The Sony UI is very clean, I like it more than Samsung Touchwiz, although overall functionality is probably less. However, considering Samsung tend to over-functionalise things seemingly for the sake of it, for me that's not an issue.

Camera, same as the Z1, very decent. Wireless speed, like lightning with my 802.11ac router... apps and updated download and install incredibly quick.

As for battery life, I will report back in a couple of days. Best phone I have ever owned. End of.

Excuse the short paragraphing, but I am currently feeling rather delicate.
It's good to see that someone has finally managed to do a compact phone properly.

Not my cup of tea but it looks like the best phone in that range.
  #600  
Old 02.02.2014, 00:26
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,397
Groaned at 109 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 5,986 Times in 3,370 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Android beasts in town: which one for you?

I have been using Lenovo laptops for past five years T61 model before then W520 model lately and cannot complain much about the quality. They are relatively stable and solid machines except if user makes a mistake of not hibernating or putting them to sleep mode when carrying them around. Other than that it is a good if not the best product one can find for reliable office use, I worked with so far. Maybe beacause we still run it on Windows 7 And the weight is certainly not a problem as I chuck in the bag power supply and other gadgets. More the better as it is a good physicall exercise on the way to the office

Besides that Samsung Galaxy S4 looks like a nice product to consider. Let's wait for S5 model and rerun the poll again
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa

Last edited by jacek; 02.02.2014 at 00:51.
Closed Thread

Tags
android, smartphone




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new Android beasts are out dawiz General off-topic 26 29.02.2012 06:54
Books: Which one impressed you the most ? allegra_:) General off-topic 51 09.02.2010 00:20
Buying a new mountain bike - but which one? Any thoughts? Harriet and Patrick Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 6 05.08.2009 19:16
new in town, looking for new friends. Elee Introductions 7 30.11.2008 18:37
Dual Citizen - one EU, one not. Use which? chris lane Permits/visas/government 11 19.02.2007 03:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0