Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04.03.2015, 18:37
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,552
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,003 Times in 6,548 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

I want to get a Sound Bar with similar spec to this one:

Samsung HW-H450

I may even get one of those but I don't really want one so long (this one is 93cm long) as it's for use with a monitor for occasional use watching DVDs etc).

But, I want my Bose unit back in the kitchen for listening to the radio so want something separate to use for films etc.

I like the idea of a separate, wireless sub-woofer and so don't really want a sound box and the cheaper ones of these don't have HDMI out which I want too.
I also want Bluetooth as well.

And I don't want to spend too much. The Samsung HW-H450 is only 164 CHF.

My Media player is a Raspberry Pi.

So, any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12.03.2015, 12:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 422
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 146 Posts
MajorGrubert is considered knowledgeableMajorGrubert is considered knowledgeableMajorGrubert is considered knowledgeable
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Offer of the day at digitec

It's labeled a "sounddeck" and so it's a bit bigger than your average soundbar but sound quality is reportedly good.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 14.03.2015, 23:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
greenseries has slipped a little
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

This one from magnat looks impressive.
I would also recommend these ones instead of a soundbar:
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product...tagIds=591-547
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 15.03.2015, 20:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,370
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
This one from magnat looks impressive.
I would also recommend these ones instead of a soundbar:
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product...tagIds=591-547
No bluetooth, no wireless sub... no thanks.

If you want good audio quality then you don't buy a pair of Philips... you can get many better solutions for the same price.

A soundbar is all about the convenience of having passable sound quality combined with useful wireless features and a subwoofer.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Richdog for this post:
  #45  
Old 15.03.2015, 20:35
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,552
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,003 Times in 6,548 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

I looked at a Samsung one at the weekend. I'm not sure whether it was set up properly in Media Markt but the sound quality was awful.

It was the HW-H551. Shame because it ticked the other boxes.

I liked a Bose sound box (Solo 15) but it only had an 3.5mm and TOS optical input and I want HDMI In/Out and Bluetooth.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 15.03.2015, 21:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,370
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
I looked at a Samsung one at the weekend. I'm not sure whether it was set up properly in Media Markt but the sound quality was awful.

It was the HW-H551. Shame because it ticked the other boxes.

I liked a Bose sound box (Solo 15) but it only had an 3.5mm and TOS optical input and I want HDMI In/Out and Bluetooth.
Get the Sony CT-260, it's a great soundbar. I've had mine for almost 2 years and I absolutely love it for what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 19.03.2015, 11:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
greenseries has slipped a little
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
No bluetooth, no wireless sub... no thanks.

If you want good audio quality then you don't buy a pair of Philips... you can get many better solutions for the same price.

A soundbar is all about the convenience of having passable sound quality combined with useful wireless features and a subwoofer.


Hi,
Bluetooth connection itself will degrade your sound quality.
By the way these speakers have Bluetootk aPTx
These monitor speakers have Ribbon tweeters.
https://www.avforums.com/review/phil...m-review.10012
Philips is not that bad. I don't insist that OP should buy this . It's just a suggested alternative. I did not recommend any near field monitors. At this some of them like Audioengine A5+ are excellent but the lack connectivity.
One would need to spend few thousand bucks on a soundbar with active subwoofers to get a decent enough audio quality at some minimalistic sweet spot.
There is no alternative to multipoint surround speakers in acoustic neutral environment connected via wires.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 19.03.2015, 11:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,370
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
Bluetooth connection itself will degrade your sound quality.
By the way these speakers have Bluetootk aPTx
These monitor speakers have Ribbon tweeters.
https://www.avforums.com/review/phil...m-review.10012
Philips is not that bad. I don't insist that OP should buy this . It's just a suggested alternative. I did not recommend any near field monitors. At this some of them like Audioengine A5+ are excellent but the lack connectivity.
One would need to spend few thousand bucks on a soundbar with active subwoofers to get a decent enough audio quality at some minimalistic sweet spot.
There is no alternative to multipoint surround speakers in acoustic neutral environment connected via wires.
Bluetooth produces perfectly acceptable sound quality (easily handles 320kbps) and is very convenient for parties etc. On speakers of this class you don't really suffer from it.

Good spot about the bluetooth capability though, I missed that!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 19.03.2015, 13:02
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 111
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Kalpz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Soundbar (forgive me if it already been mentioned, didn't read the whole thread), the Soundbar alone has amazing sound. Combine that with the Play 1's and Sub and the sound quality is great.

Plus it means you can have music all over the apartment/house - you just need to purchase more speakers.

Yes it costs a little for this set up but its the best i have seen or used so far.

K
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 19.03.2015, 13:04
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 111
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Kalpz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I have a Sonos Soundbar (forgive me if it already been mentioned, didn't read the whole thread), the Soundbar alone has amazing sound. Combine that with the Play 1's and Sub and the sound quality is great.

Plus it means you can have music all over the apartment/house - you just need to purchase more speakers.

Yes it costs a little for this set up but its the best i have seen or used so far.

K
Yep, its already been mentioned, should have read the whole thread..and seen the spending limit too..sorry guys for the worthless input
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 19.03.2015, 13:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
greenseries has slipped a little
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Bluetooth produces perfectly acceptable sound quality (easily handles 320kbps) and is very convenient for parties etc. On speakers of this class you don't really suffer from it.

Good spot about the bluetooth capability though, I missed that!


Blutooth aPTx has following specs:


  • Compression ratio: 4:1
  • Audio Format: 16-bit, 44.1kHz (almost CD-Quality)
  • Data Rates: 352kbps
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz to 22kHz
  • Algorithmic Delay: <1.89ms @ Fs 48KHz
  • Dynamic Range: 16-bit: >92dB
  • THD+N: -68.8dB

It's not a lossy codec but it's nothing compared to solid copper wires. The bandwidth has a cap.


What is acceptable for most subjective listeners can be very well unacceptable to an audiophile.
For many THD+N of -68.8dB would be unacceptable.
There are some guys who would like to connect their speakers to their ampli kit with a 10AWG wire.


My point is that there are Speaker pairs available at this price point which would sound way better then a sound bar providing same level of connectivity and portability.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 19.03.2015, 14:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,370
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Blutooth aPTx has following specs:


  • Compression ratio: 4:1
  • Audio Format: 16-bit, 44.1kHz (almost CD-Quality)
  • Data Rates: 352kbps
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz to 22kHz
  • Algorithmic Delay: <1.89ms @ Fs 48KHz
  • Dynamic Range: 16-bit: >92dB
  • THD+N: -68.8dB

It's not a lossy codec but it's nothing compared to solid copper wires. The bandwidth has a cap.

What is acceptable for most subjective listeners can be very well unacceptable to an audiophile.
For many THD+N of -68.8dB would be unacceptable.
There are some guys who would like to connect their speakers to their ampli kit with a 10AWG wire.


My point is that there are Speaker pairs available at this price point which would sound way better then a sound bar providing same level of connectivity and portability.
Obviously Bluetooth is nothing compared to copper wires, does that even need to be stated?

An "audiophile" would be using a pair of high quality stereo speakers and a dedicated amp and would not even be looking at the Philips E2. The E2 may certainly have better fidelity than a good soundbar, but it is certainly not in "another league"... just as the E5 wasn't, which I listened to pretty extensively.

I downgraded (sadly, due to room layout and convenience) from a high-end Quad 5.1 set and beast of an amp to the soundbar I currently have, so I do know both ends of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Richdog for this post:
  #53  
Old 19.03.2015, 14:11
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,552
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,003 Times in 6,548 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Yep, its already been mentioned, should have read the whole thread..and seen the spending limit too..sorry guys for the worthless input
Not worthless at all. Two recommendations is better than one!

I like the Sonos stuff but have never ever wanted the same audio all over the place as others in the flat usually prefer to listen to something else.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 19.03.2015, 14:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
greenseries has slipped a little
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Obviously Bluetooth is nothing compared to copper wires, does that even need to be stated?

An "audiophile" would be using a pair of high quality stereo speakers and a dedicated amp and would not even be looking at the Philips E2. The E2 may certainly have better fidelity than a good soundbar, but it is certainly not in "another league"... just as the E5 wasn't, which I listened to pretty extensively.

I downgraded (sadly, due to room layout and convenience) from a high-end Quad 5.1 set and beast of an amp to the soundbar I currently have, so I do know both ends of the spectrum.

My point is that there are Speaker pairs available at this price point which would sound way better then a sound bar providing same level of connectivity and portability.

I wouldn't like to start a worthless discussion on Audio fidelity, surround sound, THD, PSNR etc
OP just needs a suggestion.
Thanks but IMHO nobody is asking what you downgraded or upgraded to.
Unless you do not hand build a Valve based ampli kit the beast is tamed.

Last edited by greenseries; 19.03.2015 at 15:03. Reason: More information needed
Reply With Quote
This user groans at greenseries for this post:
  #55  
Old 19.03.2015, 15:03
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,552
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,003 Times in 6,548 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
My point is that there are Speaker pairs available at this price point which would sound way better then a sound bar providing same level of connectivity and portability.
Which ones specifically?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 19.03.2015, 15:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
greenseries has slipped a little
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Which ones specifically?
I would recommend following :
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product...tagIds=591-547


ROTH AUDIO POWA-5 MKII


Kanto YU5MB


Paradigm Series A2 (Could be out of Budget)


Nocs NS2 V2
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenseries for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 19.03.2015, 15:40
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 11,552
Groaned at 309 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 16,003 Times in 6,548 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Thanks for that. Although in my case I've only got a Raspberry Pi as a media player (for films) and a monitor to watch so I've got no HDMI ARC and so would have to use the 3.5mm analogue audio in which wouldn't be particularly good.

The sound bars I have seen allow me to feed the HDMI from the Pi into the sound bar and back out to the monitor (for the video signals).

As well as films, it would be good to play music from either the Pi or from a handheld device too as at the moment we have a Denon amp and CD player and massive B and W speakers.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 19.03.2015, 15:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,370
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
My point is that there are Speaker pairs available at this price point which would sound way better then a sound bar providing same level of connectivity and portability.

I wouldn't like to start a worthless discussion on Audio fidelity, surround sound, THD, PSNR etc
OP just needs a suggestion.
Thanks but IMHO nobody is asking what you downgraded or upgraded to.
Unless you do not hand build a Valve based ampli kit the beast is tamed.
You were the one who started the droning spec-sheet spiel, but sure, I digress.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 19.03.2015, 15:56
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 111
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Kalpz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
Not worthless at all. Two recommendations is better than one!

I like the Sonos stuff but have never ever wanted the same audio all over the place as others in the flat usually prefer to listen to something else.
That's the beauty of Sonos, you can have different music in each room...or you can have the same music in each room...its configurable by 2 touches on the Sonos App from a mobile device or tablet...works wonders!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 19.03.2015, 16:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,370
Groaned at 592 Times in 449 Posts
Thanked 13,918 Times in 5,410 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on soundbars?

Quote:
View Post
That's the beauty of Sonos, you can have different music in each room...or you can have the same music in each room...its configurable by 2 touches on the Sonos App from a mobile device or tablet...works wonders!
Sonos is indeed the pinnacle of wireless music technology, but the costs are eye-watering.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf? Shakey Housing in general 7 27.12.2011 10:47
Roomba Pet - any opinions? kri General off-topic 37 18.10.2011 19:52
Any opinions on Berlitz language classes? axsixas Language corner 0 10.07.2009 17:42
Any opinions about living near ETH Honngeberg? (On Bus 69 line) lunamakes3 Housing in general 1 08.07.2009 15:48
OT Post? Any opinions or advice on choice of DSLR? BeastOfBodmin General off-topic 16 01.11.2006 21:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0