Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.09.2013, 16:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 553
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 60 Posts
Jonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthy
lyca mobile?

Hi

Is a good carrier? Which network do they use?

Is it really free calling to lyca in other countries in Europe? It looks crazy that they offer that.
http://www.lycamobile.ch/en/Unlimited-Texts-

And then free internet with every CHF 5 charge?


http://www.lycamobile.ch/


What I don't understand is how to get the sim card. Do I go directly to interdiscount and say that I want a sim card?
Everytime that I have to ask something in interdiscount the guy tells me that they don't have anything to do with the things in internet........

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.09.2013, 23:05
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 171
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 39 Posts
byte has earned some respectbyte has earned some respect
Re: lyca mobile?

Apparently, that's a new batch of offers as previously there were other conditions.

I topup once a year so can't comment on bonuses after regular topups. I did get an extra CHF130 on my CHF100 last time.

They use Swisscom. Internet is working but not very well. For the price (6pr/MB), however, it's acceptable.

They used to have a Free SIM offer on their site but I can't locate it now. I got mine in a small Iranian shop, I'm sure you can spot their logo in many others in or around Zurich.

One good thing with Lyca is that they have operations in many countries and offer heavily discounted rates for intra-network calls between those countries. For example, calling Swiss Lyca from their Irish or French network is just 1c/min.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank byte for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 11.09.2013, 09:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 549
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 255 Times in 160 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: lyca mobile?

They have the sim cards at most post and kiosk shops but I guess you can find a store using this online tool: http://www.lycamobile.ch/en/storelocator

Over all, the offers are very good ones, especially the unlimited data. The issue I found is that all the offers are valid only until 30/11/2013. So my question is what happens after that? ie if I topup in January 2014 will I still get the unlimited data? somehow I do not think so ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank we_da_man for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 11.09.2013, 21:35
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 171
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 39 Posts
byte has earned some respectbyte has earned some respect
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
They have the sim cards at most post and kiosk shops but I guess you can find a store using this online tool: http://www.lycamobile.ch/en/storelocator ...
Did you try yourself your link?? I doesn't do anything for me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank byte for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 11.09.2013, 23:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 549
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 255 Times in 160 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
Did you try yourself your link?? I doesn't do anything for me.
it used to work, now for whatever reason it does not. I would pop into your nearest bigesh coop and see what they have.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank we_da_man for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 12.09.2013, 15:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,656
Groaned at 71 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,272 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: lyca mobile?

Remember .. Even pre pay sims require ID.. Permit/passport/ID card.

I went with Lebara which uses Sunrise network.. I paid 50chf and somehow got 90chf credit. I'm not a heavy user but still have 78 left after nearly two months.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 12.09.2013, 16:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Basel, Swtizerland
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
IamAK has no particular reputation at present
Re: lyca mobile?

hello there, am using Lyca for 3 years now and am comfortable with it for phone calls....but only problem is you cannot use it for mobile application registrations..it shows some weird number instead of your mobile number..if you have a smart phone and want to manage stuff like banking etc...simply you cannot use it!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank IamAK for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.09.2013, 14:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 553
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 60 Posts
Jonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthy
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
hello there, am using Lyca for 3 years now and am comfortable with it for phone calls....but only problem is you cannot use it for mobile application registrations..it shows some weird number instead of your mobile number..if you have a smart phone and want to manage stuff like banking etc...simply you cannot use it!!

Weird..... Would it work to get the TAN codes SMS for the online banking?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.09.2013, 14:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 553
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 60 Posts
Jonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthy
Re: lyca mobile?

Which card would the best beween coop mobile or lyca mobile?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.09.2013, 13:41
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 171
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 39 Posts
byte has earned some respectbyte has earned some respect
Re: lyca mobile?

Swiss Lycas are identified as Vodafone NL (+31 ...), that's true, but I don't think that would prevent them from receiving any SMS sent directly to the assigned Swiss number. I don't use it for SMS verifications but it certainly receives generic SMS messages without a glitch.

In fact, Coop and Lyca are my two main operators in Switzerland. Coop for intra-network calls (unconditionally free for Coop and Orange) and Lyca for all the others, including abroad. Abroad, I mean, calling abroad, for roaming any Swiss operator is useless so I stick to either Irish or local SIMs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank byte for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.09.2013, 12:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 553
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 60 Posts
Jonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthyJonesy is considered unworthy
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
Swiss Lycas are identified as Vodafone NL (+31 ...), that's true, but I don't think that would prevent them from receiving any SMS sent directly to the assigned Swiss number. I don't use it for SMS verifications but it certainly receives generic SMS messages without a glitch.

In fact, Coop and Lyca are my two main operators in Switzerland. Coop for intra-network calls (unconditionally free for Coop and Orange) and Lyca for all the others, including abroad. Abroad, I mean, calling abroad, for roaming any Swiss operator is useless so I stick to either Irish or local SIMs.
Thanks! That's what exactly what I am planning to do, because I have to call abroad too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.10.2013, 01:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lugano
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
yvrao3166 has no particular reputation at present
Re: lyca mobile?

been using lyca for the last two years. have not seen any operator provide a better offer for calling abroad or internet packages.

their offers keep changing but are still better than the rest.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.11.2013, 23:02
freeworld's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 142
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
freeworld has earned some respectfreeworld has earned some respect
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
Hi

Is a good carrier? Which network do they use?

Is it really free calling to lyca in other countries in Europe? It looks crazy that they offer that.
http://www.lycamobile.ch/en/Unlimited-Texts-

And then free internet with every CHF 5 charge?


http://www.lycamobile.ch/


What I don't understand is how to get the sim card. Do I go directly to interdiscount and say that I want a sim card?
Everytime that I have to ask something in interdiscount the guy tells me that they don't have anything to do with the things in internet........

Thanks
I called the customer service last month, a guy told me that the unlimited data for any topup is misplaced. However, it is still there.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05.11.2013, 21:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
shall has no particular reputation at present
Re: lyca mobile?

I just went with Lyca and have no complaints so far. I did a 5chf top up and got the data - it is 3GB and you get a message to let you know when you have nearly used it. Customer services are really helpful too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06.11.2013, 01:48
freeworld's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 142
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
freeworld has earned some respectfreeworld has earned some respect
Re: lyca mobile?

How did you know you got 3G free data usage? Tks
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06.11.2013, 07:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfungen
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
nmaitland has no particular reputation at present
Re: lyca mobile?

I just switched from swisscom to lycamobile on a pair of data-only Sims I use in a pad and laptop. Was costing me 40 CHFs per month for 2x 500 mb, now costing 12 CHFs for 2x3 GB (although it's free this month!).

As far as I can tell so far the service is identical to swisscom during my commute across Zurich. No problems with reception or congestion.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06.11.2013, 11:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 914
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 520 Times in 315 Posts
ChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
...for roaming any Swiss operator is useless so I stick to either Irish or local SIMs.
Did you try www.togglemobile.co.uk ?

It´s a Lyca-brand. You can add several numbers (9 out of 13 countries, including Switzerland) to one-and-the-same SIM, incoming calls are free in many countries, no matter which # you´re called on.

So someone could call your Irish or UK number, you receive the call in Switzerland - free. Or you´re in Ireland or the UK, someone calls on your Swiss#, you receive the call free.

Drawback is that I find Lyca very unreliable in general. Constantly and unpredictably changing terms and charges. I wouldn´t use this as my main #. But diverting my usual sunrise24.ch to toggle, and then travelling, enables me to receive calls free of charge in many countries.

It´s worth a look.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ChrisNeedsToKnow for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 06.11.2013, 12:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
shall has no particular reputation at present
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
How did you know you got 3G free data usage? Tks
Hi Freeworld - it says so on there website!

http://www.lycamobile.ch/en/Unlimited-Texts-

Terms and conditions:
Customer have to top-up during the month to enjoy the Unlimited FREE Data offer and its valid for calendar month only. Unlimited usage is subject only to a variation of speed from 3G to 2G for usage beyond fair use limit of 3GB during the month per SIM for fair use reasons to permit unlimited access.
Offer Valid until 30/11/2013

Sue
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06.11.2013, 12:47
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,129
Groaned at 268 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 15,410 Times in 6,537 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
Did you try www.togglemobile.co.uk ?

It´s a Lyca-brand. You can add several numbers (9 out of 13 countries, including Switzerland) to one-and-the-same SIM, incoming calls are free in many countries, no matter which # you´re called on.

So someone could call your Irish or UK number, you receive the call in Switzerland - free. Or you´re in Ireland or the UK, someone calls on your Swiss#, you receive the call free.

Drawback is that I find Lyca very unreliable in general. Constantly and unpredictably changing terms and charges. I wouldn´t use this as my main #. But diverting my usual sunrise24.ch to toggle, and then travelling, enables me to receive calls free of charge in many countries.

It´s worth a look.
How does that work? Are all the different numbers active at the same time?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06.11.2013, 12:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 914
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 520 Times in 315 Posts
ChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: lyca mobile?

Quote:
View Post
How does that work? Are all the different numbers active at the same time?
Yes - incredibly they are.

The card automatically comes with a UK#, which will always remain active. Other local numbers are free of charge for up to a month. If you want to keep a local number permanently, it´s £ 5/year.

Catch#1:
The UK# is a Lyca#, which are (strangely) sometimes more expensive to call than "normal" UK mobile #s. If you need a UK#, I recommend porting a "normal" UK# to the Togglecard. I did that successfully

Catch#2:
Lyca/Toggle doesn´t allow to activate any call diverts. So if you travel to a country which Toggle doesn´t support, you´re in a pretty dire situation. (There are workarounds, but they´re pretty complicated)

Catch#3:
Outside of the UK Data is pretty expensive.

Because of all the catches I don´t use it as my main#, but it still opens many opportunities.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile phones Jennimay321 TV/internet/telephone 4 21.01.2012 18:23
mobile contract Alessandro TV/internet/telephone 0 15.11.2011 12:56
Lyca Mobile, super high cost, am I being turned over? MrChilli TV/internet/telephone 1 30.09.2009 19:05
Swiss mobile to uk mobile jpmfan TV/internet/telephone 8 16.09.2007 14:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0