Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.03.2008, 01:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 95
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
George Chernikov has no particular reputation at present
Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

Folks,

First time poster here and I'm wondering if anyone's dealing with the same problem as me. Basically, I noticed over the past few months - perhaps even as far back as half a year - that my connection speed with some US servers has been rather poor. By that, I mean that I'm on ADSL 3500, but the download speed kept jumping constantly between 10kb/s and 200kb/s.

At that time, it was an issue with one particular major download website (Direct2Drive.com, where you could legally purchase and download games and movies), but the problem has since expanded to affect Filefront.com, Gamershell.com, Download.com - in short, all the major download portals where you'd expect to get premium download speeds.

In comparison, downloads from European servers cheerfully max out my connection; from the US, I never seem to get more than 100kb/s.

Which begets the following question - have any of you ever had the same problem, and, if yes, is it possible to do anything about it? I have wireless connection and I live in Geneva, with the standard ADSL 3500 package.

Let me know, please!

All the best,
George
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.03.2008, 01:31
PC_Advisor
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

Quote:
View Post
Folks,

First time poster here and I'm wondering if anyone's dealing with the same problem as me. Basically, I noticed over the past few months - perhaps even as far back as half a year - that my connection speed with some US servers has been rather poor. By that, I mean that I'm on ADSL 3500, but the download speed kept jumping constantly between 10kb/s and 200kb/s.

At that time, it was an issue with one particular major download website (Direct2Drive.com, where you could legally purchase and download games and movies), but the problem has since expanded to affect Filefront.com, Gamershell.com, Download.com - in short, all the major download portals where you'd expect to get premium download speeds.

In comparison, downloads from European servers cheerfully max out my connection; from the US, I never seem to get more than 100kb/s.

Which begets the following question - have any of you ever had the same problem, and, if yes, is it possible to do anything about it? I have wireless connection and I live in Geneva, with the standard ADSL 3500 package.

Let me know, please!

All the best,
George
Hi George,
welcome to the forum.
The problem you are having is more or less normal. It greatly depends on the traffic here or there.
Try this little tool and see how your speed differs from different places in the world.
The web site is here once the java window opens and you see the continent, click the yellow triangle to start the test then move to different areas and try again.
You can also try bluewin (if you read German) at speed.bluewin.ch you need to fill in some of the blanks for the test to be accurate.
Hope this helps you
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.05.2008, 12:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: geneva
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
casper_7779 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

george it is true i have noticed a drop in file front and gamershell.. i used to download demos full speed from those sites at 580kbs... now i go at a average at around 200kbs.. doont know why...
but i recently shifted to rapidshare its much more faster for games and movies.. dont know if its legit though.. but havent had a problem so far i guess
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.05.2008, 21:48
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

As a comparision on my Cablecom 15Mbps connection:

Washington DC: 5.4Mbps
San Francisco: 13.2Mbps
Kansas: 568kbps

Europe sites:
Paris: 10.2Mbps
London: 14.9Mbps
Geneva: 13.2Mbps

So as you see the speed varies hugely depending on the destination and who your provider peers with.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.05.2008, 22:27
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

Quote:
View Post
As a comparision on my Cablecom 15Mbps connection:

Washington DC: 5.4Mbps
San Francisco: 13.2Mbps
Kansas: 568kbps

Europe sites:
Paris: 10.2Mbps
London: 14.9Mbps
Geneva: 13.2Mbps

So as you see the speed varies hugely depending on the destination and who your provider peers with.
Strange, you'd think that DC would be faster, as it's closer to MAE east an all of that, then again the trip from MAE east to MAE west is pretty quick. Kansas is in the network backwater though...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.05.2008, 22:49
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

Quote:
View Post
Strange, you'd think that DC would be faster
I think its to do with the Cablecom direct peering arrangements, if they have direct peering in the West and East Coast, and I think they do, then that would explain a lot.

Of course, its gotta get from the peering provider to the speedtest host as well, and that can take as long across town as it does across continents
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28.05.2008, 22:53
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

Quote:
View Post
I think its to do with the Cablecom direct peering arrangements, if they have direct peering in the West and East Coast, and I think they do, then that would explain a lot.

Of course, its gotta get from the peering provider to the speedtest host as well, and that can take as long across town as it does across continents
I remember that it used to be faster to grab stuff from a host in the US than between companies in Europe. I often still find this to be the case.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.06.2008, 02:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
dogobert2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers?

Hi there, you can use http://speedtest.net/ to test from different different locations around the world. Florida about 1 Mb http://www.speedtest.net/result/278330096.png Washington 5.7 Mb http://www.speedtest.net/result/278330372.png San Francisco 1.2Mb http://www.speedtest.net/result/278330616.png
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Everything Swisscom TV -- formerly] Bluewin TV Lob TV/internet/telephone 226 04.07.2011 23:23
does swisscom have a download limit? casper_7779 TV/internet/telephone 19 01.11.2008 18:26
Internet film rental-instant download. Reb TV/internet/telephone 4 13.03.2008 13:48
How do I use Bluewin TV? KitBoyE17 TV/internet/telephone 6 20.08.2007 23:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0