Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.04.2014, 09:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 32
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hippocrates has become a little unpopularHippocrates has become a little unpopular
is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

I'm new to Switzerland and I'm looking to sign a mobile phone contract with either Swisscom or Orange. The package from Swisscom that's affordable to me is Natel Infinity M which has the surfing speed capped at 7.2 Mbps where as Orange offers full 4G surfing speed (I assume it's more than 42Mbps).

I'm just wondering if anyone who has experience using Natel Infinity M can kindly comment on how stable/fast is the 7.2 Mbps surfing speed in real-world usage? I depend heavily on internet on the move (like getting maps, checking emails, whatsapp-ing, sending and receiving photos, reading news and etc).

Natel Infinity L has a more desirable surfing speed but it's just too expensive. Or should I just opt for Orange which offers 4G speed and at the same time, sacrificing good service support and English speaking customer service? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.04.2014, 09:29
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,676
Groaned at 354 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,921 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
I'm new to Switzerland and I'm looking to sign a mobile phone contract with either Swisscom or Orange. The package from Swisscom that's affordable to me is Natel Infinity M which has the surfing speed capped at 7.2 Mbps where as Orange offers full 4G surfing speed (I assume it's more than 42Mbps).

I'm just wondering if anyone who has experience using Natel Infinity M can kindly comment on how stable/fast is the 7.2 Mbps surfing speed in real-world usage? I depend heavily on internet on the move (like getting maps, checking emails, whatsapp-ing, sending and receiving photos, reading news and etc).

Natel Infinity L has a more desirable surfing speed but it's just too expensive. Or should I just opt for Orange which offers 4G speed and at the same time, sacrificing good service support and English speaking customer service? Thanks!
I get 7-8Mbps most of the time, for download. In Verbier I got 8Mbps upload as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.04.2014, 09:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 32
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hippocrates has become a little unpopularHippocrates has become a little unpopular
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
I get 7-8Mbps most of the time, for download. In Verbier I got 8Mbps upload as well.
Thanks, I assume it's pretty stable across space and time then. May I know's the real world performance? i.e... is the streaming of youtube choppy at times? or long waiting time for a webpage to load?

I'm hoping to gauge if the speed is acceptable to me as I come from another country where 4G surfing is common place and I'm just too spoilt for fast mobile internet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.04.2014, 10:10
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,676
Groaned at 354 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,921 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, I assume it's pretty stable across space and time then. May I know's the real world performance? i.e... is the streaming of youtube choppy at times? or long waiting time for a webpage to load?

I'm hoping to gauge if the speed is acceptable to me as I come from another country where 4G surfing is common place and I'm just too spoilt for fast mobile internet.
It's pretty good most of the time, I don't bother with a fixed connection in CH
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.07.2014, 23:25
Laempefescht's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 265
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 239 Times in 103 Posts
Laempefescht has earned the respect of manyLaempefescht has earned the respect of manyLaempefescht has earned the respect of many
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

I am thinking about getting the Swisscom Infinity xs, which offers unlimited "surfen" at 0.2 Mbit/s. I have no idea what this really means.


Can I use Viber to make a phone call with this speed? Surf Gawker without falling asleep? Watch a Youtube Video?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.07.2014, 23:32
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,325
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 5,025 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
I am thinking about getting the Swisscom Infinity xs, which offers unlimited "surfen" at 0.2 Mbit/s. I have no idea what this really means.


Can I use Viber to make a phone call with this speed? Surf Gawker without falling asleep? Watch a Youtube Video?
That is a pitiful offering by Swisscom for which they should ashamed of themselves. I would recommend you go for Orange unless you really live out in the sticks. Their packages are far more equitable and you get full 4G speed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09.07.2014, 21:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winti
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tr68_tr68 has no particular reputation at present
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

You cannot us viber or Skype with the XS…that's clear.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.07.2014, 17:53
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
I'm new to Switzerland and I'm looking to sign a mobile phone contract with either Swisscom or Orange. The package from Swisscom that's affordable to me is Natel Infinity M which has the surfing speed capped at 7.2 Mbps where as Orange offers full 4G surfing speed (I assume it's more than 42Mbps).



I'm just wondering if anyone who has experience using Natel Infinity M can kindly comment on how stable/fast is the 7.2 Mbps surfing speed in real-world usage? I depend heavily on internet on the move (like getting maps, checking emails, whatsapp-ing, sending and receiving photos, reading news and etc).



Natel Infinity L has a more desirable surfing speed but it's just too expensive. Or should I just opt for Orange which offers 4G speed and at the same time, sacrificing good service support and English speaking customer service? Thanks!

Is there a reason why you're not considering sunrise? They have the cheapest offerings and a considerably better network than Orange
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.07.2014, 17:56
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
That is a pitiful offering by Swisscom for which they should ashamed of themselves. I would recommend you go for Orange unless you really live out in the sticks. Their packages are far more equitable and you get full 4G speed.

Orange is much more expensive than Swisscom if you need / want an all-inclusive package. Plus Orange is by far the most expensive and least customer-friendly provider when it comes to roaming abroad. sunrise is considerably cheaper than Swisscom and Orange.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.07.2014, 18:08
Bozza's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 532
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 345 Times in 191 Posts
Bozza has made some interesting contributions
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
Is there a reason why you're not considering sunrise? They have the cheapest offerings and a considerably better network than Orange
If Sunrise is better than Orange then we're all doomed. Im on Sunrise in Adlsiwil and have between 0 and Edge at my desk (5 meters from a window).

The only solution seems to be Swisscom+resulting bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.07.2014, 18:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
GV_GV has no particular reputation at present
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
Orange is much more expensive than Swisscom if you need / want an all-inclusive package. Plus Orange is by far the most expensive and least customer-friendly provider when it comes to roaming abroad. sunrise is considerably cheaper than Swisscom and Orange.
Funny, you say this: they actually have the cheapest so called "all in one package": http://www.orange.ch/en/residential/simo-unlimited/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.08.2014, 19:12
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
Funny, you say this: they actually have the cheapest so called "all in one package": http://www.orange.ch/en/residential/simo-unlimited/

Except that the data allowance is very limited
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.09.2014, 12:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sebitti has become a little unpopularsebitti has become a little unpopular
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

I get download speeds of 70mbs with Orange but the data is limited to 4GB a month, which can go very fast.

I personally think Swisscom is a very expensive way to get low internet speeds and a "great customer service".
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.09.2014, 12:55
Bozza's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 532
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 345 Times in 191 Posts
Bozza has made some interesting contributions
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

I just switched from rubbish Sunrise to Swisscom 1mbps unlimited.

The speed is fine for me, I don't download many videos on 4G but on the odd occasion, it doesn't take too long.

It's hard to know what speed you need so I went low-ish but I am happy where I ended up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.09.2014, 13:32
Don Molina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 864
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,234 Times in 530 Posts
Don Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

I'm definitely going to give Surnise a go since my Orange contract is coming close to finishing. The prices especially for under-30s are insane, and I'm kind of fed-up with Orange and their shitty billing.

Swisscom has to be crazy offering those prices for those speeds... I dont' care if they give me 1 million minutes to talk to Mars, 0.2Mbps in 2014 is disgraceful - especially charged at 59 CHF.

Plus Sunrise is going the T-Mo "uncarrier" way, I can go back to Orange anytime, in case the horror stories for signal come up to be true for my place. My desk at work is also an Orange dead-zone so it can't be worse there...
__________________
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18.09.2014, 13:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,641
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
I'm definitely going to give Surnise a go since my Orange contract is coming close to finishing. The prices especially for under-30s are insane, and I'm kind of fed-up with Orange and their shitty billing.

Swisscom has to be crazy offering those prices for those speeds... I dont' care if they give me 1 million minutes to talk to Mars, 0.2Mbps in 2014 is disgraceful - especially charged at 59 CHF.

Plus Sunrise is going the T-Mo "uncarrier" way, I can go back to Orange anytime, in case the horror stories for signal come up to be true for my place. My desk at work is also an Orange dead-zone so it can't be worse there...
Yeah, the only way Swisscom's prices make sense anymore is if you have no other choice. These days, I don't see someone who spends most of the time in urban areas being unsatisfied with Orange or Sunrise. I switched from Orange to Sunrise this year and my reception is fine. I was afraid my desk would be dead-zone like you said, but I get HDSPA+ no problem. LTE coverage is 80% as good as previously with Orange.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18.09.2014, 14:15
Bozza's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 532
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 345 Times in 191 Posts
Bozza has made some interesting contributions
Re: is Swisscom Natel Infinity surfing speed acceptable

Quote:
View Post
These days, I don't see someone who spends most of the time in urban areas being unsatisfied with Orange or Sunrise. I switched from Orange to Sunrise this year and my reception is fine. I was afraid my desk would be dead-zone like you said, but I get HDSPA+ no problem. LTE coverage is 80% as good as previously with Orange.
Well, I was not satisfied. Half of our office (Adliswil, 10 min from Zurich) wasn't covered, and my desk was a dead zone for calls or data.

So yes, there is a price difference, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go to the more expensive one.

Also note that it will take you 2 months to switchover which you can expedite a little bit but you have to know that the option is there, noone will tell you that in the store or on the line without asking repeatedly to move before the Sunrise contract ends.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
swisscom natel XL DaGhost TV/internet/telephone 0 31.10.2013 19:54
Natel infinity tethering krlock3 TV/internet/telephone 14 10.09.2013 08:32
Swisscom Infinity packages -S/M? alenico TV/internet/telephone 15 24.04.2013 09:28
Avoiding Swisscom infinity - keeping old 1GB plan tp_sale TV/internet/telephone 11 28.07.2012 20:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0