Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 23.04.2008, 15:40
outrage's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aigle
Posts: 192
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 52 Posts
outrage is considered knowledgeableoutrage is considered knowledgeableoutrage is considered knowledgeable
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Quote:
View Post
I unplugged my Bluewin at the mains by mistake last night
Yea, I blew a mains fuse and had to restart it. First time round I got zip, so I was more methodical. I turned everything off at the mains, then got the router up first and checked that worked (broadband access OK), then I got the wireless link up (green lights showing), then I turned on the TV box. I had to turn the TV box off again because it didn't come up first time, but then I got the reboot sequence on my TV and in about 15 minutes everything was working OK again.

Bit of a hassle, although generally I've been pleased with the performance of BluewinTV.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 27.04.2008, 18:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CATIWE has no particular reputation at present
Can You Rent A Movie In English Through Bluewin Tv?

Can anyone tell me if I can rent movies through <on demand> and have them featured in english, we dont watch alot of TV but every now and again we would like watch a movie. We are still looking into our options, what would you suggest?
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 27.04.2008, 19:22
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Can You Rent A Movie In English Through Bluewin Tv?

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone tell me if I can rent movies through <on demand> and have them featured in english, we dont watch alot of TV but every now and again we would like watch a movie. We are still looking into our options, what would you suggest?
Bluewin on demand, no (only German, French and Italian) but rented DVDs (like the ones you buy) also contain (in most cases) the original language (English).
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03.05.2008, 14:55
Padwar's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Padwar has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Quote:
View Post
... then got the router up first and checked that worked (broadband access OK)...
Doh! As soon as I read your message I realised I had turned off the router too! Thanks Outrage!
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 31.07.2008, 03:26
muze7's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Uk now after Neuchatel
Posts: 1,225
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 94 Posts
muze7 is considered knowledgeablemuze7 is considered knowledgeablemuze7 is considered knowledgeable
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Ok, I cannot find anywhere whether the connection between the TV Box and the TV has to be wireless. Does anyone know, as I cannot get the installation video to work and I want to know before ordering. Basically, I would love that connection to be ethernet rather than wireless or via a powerline connection. Does the TV box have this option

Also, note the installation fee has gone up to 290 CHF (if you want someone to come over).
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 31.07.2008, 10:01
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Quote:
View Post
Ok, I cannot find anywhere whether the connection between the TV Box and the TV has to be wireless. Does anyone know, as I cannot get the installation video to work and I want to know before ordering. Basically, I would love that connection to be ethernet rather than wireless or via a powerline connection. Does the TV box have this option
????
It sounds like you're confusing your computer's wireless connection to the router and your TVs connection to the set top box (which plugs into the router via a network cable).
You'll have router ---> STB (set top box) ---> TV, from router to STB a network cable, from STB to TV a Scart cable or HDMI cable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #147  
Old 31.07.2008, 15:56
muze7's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Uk now after Neuchatel
Posts: 1,225
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 94 Posts
muze7 is considered knowledgeablemuze7 is considered knowledgeablemuze7 is considered knowledgeable
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Thanks much Vwild1. I guess I got confused due to the person needing a wireless repeater.

By the way, Swisscom has a great tutorial you can go through to find out if you can install it yourself and what you need for the layout for your rooms specifically, as it asks questions based on the distance between socket and modem and tv etc., so you will know in advance whether you need to buy expensive accessories like the wireless repeater or optical cable. It also makes understanding the setup much easier. Go to http://www.swisscom.ch/res/tv/zuhaus...lbst/index.htm and then click on Should I install it myself?
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 06.10.2008, 18:18
Kinhorngreen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 109
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Kinhorngreen is considered knowledgeableKinhorngreen is considered knowledgeableKinhorngreen is considered knowledgeable
Bluewin TV problems

I have had Bluewin TV installed and it has developed an extremely annoying habit in that it frequently "freezes" and then the box resets itself - all of which takes 5 to 10 minutes. As this normally happens just as you are getting to the interesting bit of a program or a news bulletin it is very frustrating. Does anyone know if this is a general problem with Bluewin or is it specific to me? (would be good to know before I complain like hell to them!)
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 06.10.2008, 18:40
Tiabelle's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 63
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Tiabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bluewin TV problems

Hi

We also have Bluewin, we have had it for a month. When we first got it it used to do that all the time but it seems to have sorted itself out. Another really annoying thing it did was with the channels there was a delay with the sound so somebody would speak and you would see their lips move and a second later you would hear them talk. This is also something that no longer happens. I hope it is soon sorted for you. Good to have English TV though isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07.10.2008, 09:41
Flashman4's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Haegendorf
Posts: 836
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 455 Times in 259 Posts
Flashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputation
Re: Bluewin TV problems

Quote:
View Post
I have had Bluewin TV installed and it has developed an extremely annoying habit in that it frequently "freezes" and then the box resets itself - all of which takes 5 to 10 minutes. As this normally happens just as you are getting to the interesting bit of a program or a news bulletin it is very frustrating. Does anyone know if this is a general problem with Bluewin or is it specific to me? (would be good to know before I complain like hell to them!)
Give 'em a call on their free help line. They are very helpful and last time I experienced a problem, sent me a replacement remote control the very next day by express courier.

The box resetting is not normal behaviour.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 07.10.2008, 17:38
Kinhorngreen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 109
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Kinhorngreen is considered knowledgeableKinhorngreen is considered knowledgeableKinhorngreen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Bluewin TV problems

Thanks guys - I will try their hotline and see if I get any joy....
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 07.10.2008, 18:06
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bluewin TV problems

I've had Bluewin TV since the first month it was offered, unfortunately I'm on the very outer limits of the reception zone and service has been very spotty on occasion. The problem is I've only got ADSL but really should have VDSL (which would be much faster with a better quality), still waiting for them to upgrade the lines of which nobody can answer me when that will be happening (it should have already happened from what they told me during the initial installation of service).
Time delayed sound was a big issue in the beginning as was dropped packets which caused the picture to freeze from time to time but that's been pretty well sorted out by now.
At present I'm having problems with sound quality with a very annoying hissing sound at the end of many words. Hopefully they get that sorted out soon as well.
And my biggest pet peeve is that recorder..!! In the beginning it lost the end of many shows because it doesn't have record delay start so if a show started even only 1 or 2 minutes late you'd miss the ending because the recorded had already stopped. To compensate they automatically set the box now to continue recording 5 minutes after the scheduled broadcast. Now if you want to record 2 shows that stop/start at the same time you have to first reset the 1st show to stop recording on it's regularly scheduled time so as there is no overlap which would prevent the second show from being set to record. Ok, that's not the really annoying part, the really annoying part is when a show starts and you think, hey, I'd like to record that AND the show that precedes it. If you hit the record button it will automatically record the first show with the extra 5 minute overlap making it impossible to set the recorder to record the second show. OR, if you first set the second show to record (after the first program has already started) and then try to record the show you're presently watching it will reject your record requests because the box thinks you're trying to record 2 shows at the same time again (the overlap from the first). I've been burned so many times wanting to record 2 shows and only ended up getting one..!!
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 31.10.2008, 19:08
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,053
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 594 Times in 373 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Before I call the helpline, does anyone know whether you have to update for the HD channels. On the phone checker number it says that we should be able to pick up the channels. Since I have had Bluewin TV since launch, maybe I need a new box!
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 31.10.2008, 19:28
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,618
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 477 Times in 336 Posts
magyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputation
Re: Bluewin TV problems

Typical "we didn't think of this use case".

Quote:
View Post
I've had Bluewin TV since the first month it was offered, unfortunately I'm on the very outer limits of the reception zone and service has been very spotty on occasion. The problem is I've only got ADSL but really should have VDSL (which would be much faster with a better quality), still waiting for them to upgrade the lines of which nobody can answer me when that will be happening (it should have already happened from what they told me during the initial installation of service).
Time delayed sound was a big issue in the beginning as was dropped packets which caused the picture to freeze from time to time but that's been pretty well sorted out by now.
At present I'm having problems with sound quality with a very annoying hissing sound at the end of many words. Hopefully they get that sorted out soon as well.
And my biggest pet peeve is that recorder..!! In the beginning it lost the end of many shows because it doesn't have record delay start so if a show started even only 1 or 2 minutes late you'd miss the ending because the recorded had already stopped. To compensate they automatically set the box now to continue recording 5 minutes after the scheduled broadcast. Now if you want to record 2 shows that stop/start at the same time you have to first reset the 1st show to stop recording on it's regularly scheduled time so as there is no overlap which would prevent the second show from being set to record. Ok, that's not the really annoying part, the really annoying part is when a show starts and you think, hey, I'd like to record that AND the show that precedes it. If you hit the record button it will automatically record the first show with the extra 5 minute overlap making it impossible to set the recorder to record the second show. OR, if you first set the second show to record (after the first program has already started) and then try to record the show you're presently watching it will reject your record requests because the box thinks you're trying to record 2 shows at the same time again (the overlap from the first). I've been burned so many times wanting to record 2 shows and only ended up getting one..!!
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 29.11.2008, 22:47
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Just if anyone's interested to know about the BlueWin TVbit-rate:

I maxed out my download on my PC with a FTP at 16 Mbps, then I switched on BlueWin TV and the FTP stream dropped to 12 Mbps. I did this several times, and figured BlueWin TV must stream it's channels at about 4 Mbps. My DVD player also streams at about 4 Mbps, so I'll take a guess and say BlueWin TV channels are on par with DVD quality...

Has anyone else made a similar test?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 30.11.2008, 09:25
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bluewin TV problems

Quote:
View Post
And my biggest pet peeve is that recorder..!! In the beginning it lost the end of many shows because it doesn't have record delay start so if a show started even only 1 or 2 minutes late you'd miss the ending because the recorded had already stopped. To compensate they automatically set the box now to continue recording 5 minutes after the scheduled broadcast. Now if you want to record 2 shows that stop/start at the same time you have to first reset the 1st show to stop recording on it's regularly scheduled time so as there is no overlap which would prevent the second show from being set to record. Ok, that's not the really annoying part, the really annoying part is when a show starts and you think, hey, I'd like to record that AND the show that precedes it. If you hit the record button it will automatically record the first show with the extra 5 minute overlap making it impossible to set the recorder to record the second show. OR, if you first set the second show to record (after the first program has already started) and then try to record the show you're presently watching it will reject your record requests because the box thinks you're trying to record 2 shows at the same time again (the overlap from the first). I've been burned so many times wanting to record 2 shows and only ended up getting one..!!
Quote:
View Post
Typical "we didn't think of this use case".
I've solved the problem, a couple of weeks ago I got the digital HD recorder from my local television cable company WWZ (Wasserwerke Zug). The quality far exceeds what I was getting on Bluewin TV..! And the best part is..? Not only can I record 2 shows (or channels) at the same time I can watch a 3rd channel while it's recording them..!!! After 19 years of watching not much more than CNN or BBC Prime in English I'm now overdosing on English TV..!
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 09.03.2009, 15:46
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,053
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 594 Times in 373 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Cancelling Bluewin - Does anyone know what the cancellation time is for Bluewin, had the system for two years and now going FTA on TNT sat, since I mostly only watch the French channels.

Do the take the box back off of you? I guess they do.

Details of the TNT sat (in French) as follows http://www.tntsat.tv/

Looking at getting the new Sagem HD Recorder.

http://www.tvcorner.com/product_info...roducts_id/569
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 19.08.2009, 11:24
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,250
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

We will shortly be moving to our new flat and want to finally do away with our Sky subscription, and will replace it with either Cablecom or Bluewin digital TV with HD. Since the Cablecom package in Swiss Romand is crap, to say the least, we will probably go with Bluewin. Question is, as the phone jack and TV will be on opposite sides of the living room, what are the best connection options? It seems to be a choice between:
  • Ethernet
  • Wireless
  • Optical
  • Powerline
Can anyone give me any hints on the best option re. signal quality, installation, interference, asthetics etc? Also, what are your experiences with picture quality, service quality etc?
Cheers,
Paddy
__________________
Stealing jokes off the internet and passing them off as my own since 1995
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 19.08.2009, 11:40
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,053
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 594 Times in 373 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

The installers will run the cable and do the installation for you - no probs.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 19.08.2009, 12:23
outrage's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aigle
Posts: 192
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 52 Posts
outrage is considered knowledgeableoutrage is considered knowledgeableoutrage is considered knowledgeable
Re: [Everything] Bluewin TV

Bluewin can also supply wireless access points if you can't run a cable from your router to your TV for whatever reason (at a cost). Alternatively you can use your power grid with kit available from Media Markt etc.

A nice byproduct of having Bluewin is that you also can use Zattoo to watch a subset of the programmes available on Bluewin on your PC. Not the same quality as the TV, admittedly, but a useful addition.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI Bluewin TV to bcome Swisscom TV PaddyG TV/internet/telephone 3 20.11.2009 15:11
Semi-techie questions about Swisscom Infinity internet/Bluewin JoshT TV/internet/telephone 13 05.07.2009 16:12
Bluewin/Swisscom Download Speed from US Servers? George Chernikov TV/internet/telephone 7 01.06.2008 02:40
How do I use Bluewin TV? KitBoyE17 TV/internet/telephone 6 20.08.2007 23:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0