Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 04.08.2016, 18:56
JoeUK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 537
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 724 Times in 381 Posts
JoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputation
Re: Windows 10

I have a Windows PC at home for that. I have a lot of VMs, the Linux, ESX and Windows 10 guests play nice. El Capitan, not so much but I only use that when I really have to.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 04.08.2016, 19:43
Slaphead's Avatar
Moderato espressivo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,243
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
Macs are slow and cumbersome. At least with Windows one can build ones own PC and get some speed.Unless you get a mac Pro for 3,555 CHF!
You can build your own Mac in exactly the same way. It's called a Hackintosh, and as long as you carefully select the components it'll be just as stable as a normal Mac. You just have to jump through a couple of hoops that, to somebody who builds their own systems, are trivial.

To be honest I've never found Macs to be particularly slow and cumbersome in comparison to an equivalent Windows box, often the opposite.

@Slammer - It sounds like your hard disk may well be giving up the ghost. The most common reason for a Mac to get pig slow with the spinning beachball are read/write failures. Rip that HD out and stick an SSD in. It's pretty simple to do with a 2012 model (There was no 2013 model) and you'll never look back. My iMac of 2011 vintage is ready to go around 10 - 15 seconds of turning it on, and that includes having to log in.
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 04.08.2016, 23:49
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,214
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,882 Times in 2,564 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
You can build your own Mac in exactly the same way. It's called a Hackintosh, and as long as you carefully select the components it'll be just as stable as a normal Mac. You just have to jump through a couple of hoops that, to somebody who builds their own systems, are trivial.

To be honest I've never found Macs to be particularly slow and cumbersome in comparison to an equivalent Windows box, often the opposite.

@Slammer - It sounds like your hard disk may well be giving up the ghost. The most common reason for a Mac to get pig slow with the spinning beachball are read/write failures. Rip that HD out and stick an SSD in. It's pretty simple to do with a 2012 model (There was no 2013 model) and you'll never look back. My iMac of 2011 vintage is ready to go around 10 - 15 seconds of turning it on, and that includes having to log in.
I will be backing up this weekend and will get a SSD, methinks the problems are from the gigabytes of Russian porn, but you are correct it is a 2012 bought in 2013, my boo boo.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05.08.2016, 06:30
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,563 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
I will be backing up this weekend and will get a SSD, methinks the problems are from the gigabytes of Russian porn, but you are correct it is a 2012 bought in 2013, my boo boo.
SSDs are breathtaking for speed, power consumption (and therefore heat), but comparatively expensive for mass storage. Consider a NAS for the part of your data that you want to keep, but don't need daily. I have 2, one is an old Synology, the other a PC with Xpenology with enough Pfupf to run VMs, Couchpotato, backups and such.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05.08.2016, 11:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 616
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 395 Times in 234 Posts
catandmouse is considered knowledgeablecatandmouse is considered knowledgeablecatandmouse is considered knowledgeable
Re: Windows 10

My Surface Pro upgraded last night. It took a very long time, about 2hours. I left it to "do its thing" at about 6, came back around 8 and it was still at it, though pretty much at the end. It clearly rebooted a couple of times during the exercise, but the good news was it clearly didn't have a need of me to say "OK" and did everything pretty much to itself.
It's a fairly major upgrade and you'll see changes to the interface. Haven't explored all of it. One of the downgrades was that the lockscreen came back and I had to find out how to get rid of it again (it's totally useless on a PC type device as you either have to type a password or have your picture taken to enter anyway).
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 06.08.2016, 08:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Major upgrade Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
Windows 10 is a bit like the Rio Olympic villiage. It looks OK from the outside, but get inside it and it's still a building site. OK I nicked that from El Reg, but I totally 100% agree with their opinion.

That said, it's a problem affecting all commercial operating systems with building in marketable useless functions that nobody will ever use, and in the process breaking unmarketable useful functions.

If we were to reset the clock back to 1988, but start with the tech that we have today then Linux would have by far the most dominant market share. The only reason why people, and especially, companies stick with windows is that it's so imbedded that it would cost a prohibitive amount to change.

OK, I'm a Mac user mostly, but I'm not gloating, because every OS that they've released since 10.6 has come with an menagerie of problems that severely limits the usefulness of the system for around 6 months before Apple might get around to fixing them. Even then there are other problems that never get resolved.
Windows 10 is excellent, I have had zero issues with any of my machines. Installs smoothly, everything works, and performance is deifinitely increased on older machines.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #147  
Old 06.08.2016, 08:44
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,563 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Major upgrade Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
Windows 10 is excellent, I have had zero issues with any of my machines. Installs smoothly, everything works, and performance is deifinitely increased on older machines.
This is my experience also, I noticed a definite performance improvement, particularly vs win7 on exactly the same hardware, but also on 8/8.1.

Edge, however, just isn't my thing, yet.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #148  
Old 06.08.2016, 08:46
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 726 Times in 399 Posts
Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,224 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Windows 10

yes I agree,Windows 10 is great. Mac always had something quirky happening-that was never fixed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #149  
Old 06.08.2016, 09:06
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,563 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
yes I agree,Windows 10 is great. Mac always had something quirky happening-that was never fixed.
I gave up on Macs back in the early '90s. I tried to keep an open mind, but I found that their intuitive interface did things in ways that didn't seem intuitive to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Macs did what they were designed to do excellently, if expensively, but I was trying to do things that were easier and less expensive with a PC.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 06.08.2016, 09:15
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 726 Times in 399 Posts
Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,224 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Windows 10

The mac of the 90's. You can hardly bring that into the question!
Quote:
View Post
I gave up on Macs back in the early '90s. I tried to keep an open mind, but I found that their intuitive interface did things in ways that didn't seem intuitive to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Macs did what they were designed to do excellently, if expensively, but I was trying to do things that were easier and less expensive with a PC.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 06.08.2016, 09:20
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 726 Times in 399 Posts
Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,224 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Windows 10

The mac of the 90's. You can hardly compare
Quote:
View Post
I gave up on Macs back in the early '90s. I tried to keep an open mind, but I found that their intuitive interface did things in ways that didn't seem intuitive to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Macs did what they were designed to do excellently, if expensively, but I was trying to do things that were easier and less expensive with a PC.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 06.08.2016, 09:21
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,563 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
The mac of the 90's. You can hardly bring that into the question!
You are correct, although having stayed away from them since then, the intuitive interface is even less so whenever I do end up trying to fix one now. Their black box products (appleTV and ipad) are fine, the ipad being for me a paradigm of excellent design.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 06.08.2016, 10:21
Slaphead's Avatar
Moderato espressivo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,243
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

It horses for courses really. It comes down to what you've got the most experience with.

Troubleshooting Mac and Linux systems is not a problem for me, but put me in front of a Windows box and you can forget any subtleties - it'll be a case of nuke the disk and reinstall from scratch.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
  #154  
Old 06.08.2016, 10:31
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,563 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
It horses for courses really. It comes down to what you've got the most experience with.

Troubleshooting Mac and Linux systems is not a problem for me, but put me in front of a Windows box and you can forget any subtleties - it'll be a case of nuke the disk and reinstall from scratch.
Couldn't agree more. Most of the people who say "OS blah blah is better" are actually saying "I don't know squat about anything other than OS blah blah". There was a time when I was at a high level with Microsoft, Sun, VMS, and not bad with CICS, each had their strengths but there wasn't one that was "The Best".
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06.08.2016, 11:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,057
Groaned at 131 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 3,742 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
It horses for courses really. It comes down to what you've got the most experience with.

Troubleshooting Mac and Linux systems is not a problem for me, but put me in front of a Windows box and you can forget any subtleties - it'll be a case of nuke the disk and reinstall from scratch.
But this is the future for all IT no matter the flavour.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 07.08.2016, 14:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
It horses for courses really. It comes down to what you've got the most experience with.

Troubleshooting Mac and Linux systems is not a problem for me, but put me in front of a Windows box and you can forget any subtleties - it'll be a case of nuke the disk and reinstall from scratch.
Well yeah, but that's a lack of familiarity as opposed to a fault if the os. The same logic can be applied to pretty much anything.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 11.08.2016, 10:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Started my PC this morning and it upgraded W10 now it rejects my password.
Went into my ms account with my tablet and set a new password, still cannot PC login!

Can login OK with my tablet.

Thought maybe the UG changed my keyboard so set a password with just letters and numbers; same symptoms
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 11.08.2016, 10:50
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 42 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,563 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
Started my PC this morning and it upgraded W10 now it rejects my password.
Went into my ms account with my tablet and set a new password, still cannot PC login!

Can login OK with my tablet.

Thought maybe the UG changed my keyboard so set a password with just letters and numbers; same symptoms
Does the PC have network connectivity while you are logging in?
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 11.08.2016, 11:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
Started my PC this morning and it upgraded W10 now it rejects my password.
Went into my ms account with my tablet and set a new password, still cannot PC login!

Can login OK with my tablet.

Thought maybe the UG changed my keyboard so set a password with just letters and numbers; same symptoms
Have you tried your windows online account password, instead of the previous local account password?
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 11.08.2016, 11:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
View Post
Does the PC have network connectivity while you are logging in?
Yes, I see the icon and when I click it then I see I am connected to the correct WiFi node!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crap, virus, windoze




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AbFab's 10 tips to quit smoking in 10 days AbFab General off-topic 100 27.02.2015 17:44
Windows 8 + Windows 8 devices now ready for pre-order dawiz TV/internet/telephone 41 23.12.2012 13:24
Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC marcopolo TV/internet/telephone 7 21.02.2011 12:11
Offering: Private Apartment in St. Gallen from 20.03.10 till 10.04.10 jttraveller Property wanted 0 16.01.2010 20:10
Room for rent in Zurich, 1.1.10-28.2.10 wendylynn Property wanted 1 24.11.2009 22:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0