English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   Swisscom infinity XS (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/224020-swisscom-infinity-xs.html)

donalwho 12.12.2014 12:18

Swisscom infinity XS
 
Hi,
My wife needs the Swisscom infinity subscription and I was considering the XS option.
I am looking for the opinions of people who have used it as to whether it is sufficient for everyday use of a normal smartphone user. This is the 200kbit/s upload and 100kbit/s download speed. If you did switch to the Small option (1Mbit/s Upload and 500kbit/s download) was there really such a big difference and was it worth the extra 192.-/year??

Please .... no comments about orange or sunrise. They have no coverage where we live.

Many thanks

Castro 12.12.2014 12:32

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
You've got the upload and download speeds the wrong way round.
In any case 0.2 Mbit/s is virtually unusual in smartphone terms, unless all she will do is check emails and surf (slowly). The 1 Mbit/s option is obviously a lot better, but then you're paying CHF 75 for a painfully throttled service :eek:

Since signal is an issue, perhaps a better option would be to use one of the virtual providers who use the Swisscom backbone.

Swisscom:
Lycamobile: http://www.lycamobile.ch/de/
Cablecom:http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/mobile/
M-budget Mobile: http://shop.m-budget.migros.ch
Mucho: http://muchomobile.ch/
TalkTalk: http://www.talktalk.ch
Tele2:http://www.tele4u.ch
Telebroke Mobile:http://www.telebroke.com

Courtesy of we_da_man

donalwho 12.12.2014 14:39

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Bigger is always better, I know ...
Yes, sorry the speeds are reversed as you pointed out.
As I siad, I am only interested in Swisscom and experiences of real usage. I know that "The 1 Mbit/s option is obviously a lot better", but what I am interested in is...... is 0.2Mb/0.1Mb/s satisfactory for most usage based on your experience and not based on the marketing hype of big numbers?

p.s. as a real world ex-orange subscriber I know that what they offer as a real world data rate is probably well below this infinity XS - irrespective of how much marketing they invest in.

Slaphead 12.12.2014 15:00

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by donalwho (Post 2301549)
Bigger is always better, I know ...
Yes, sorry the speeds are reversed as you pointed out.
As I siad, I am only interested in Swisscom and experiences of real usage. I know that "The 1 Mbit/s option is obviously a lot better", but what I am interested in is...... is 0.2Mb/0.1Mb/s satisfactory for most usage based on your experience and not based on the marketing hype of big numbers?

p.s. as a real world ex-orange subscriber I know that what they offer as a real world data rate is probably well below this infinity XS - irrespective of how much marketing they invest in.

No, it'll be like going back to dialup. Web content is quite bandwidth hungry these days. The minimum for light use I would consider would be the 1Mb download option, but even this is likely to be too slow.

If it's going to light use then it would be better to go with a capped service which offers full speed, rather than an all you can eat service which has throttled speeds.

That said I'm happy-ish with my infinity contract which gives me 14Mb/s, which gets me an easy 7Mb/s in the vast majority of locations

donalwho 12.12.2014 16:07

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Not really the same as dialup. It would be almost 2x full rate ISDN. Which was vastly better than dialup.
Mobile content is also not the same full web content where the average page size is way smaller than full web pages.

I'm sure you are having a blast on 14Mbit/s and I am sure Swisscom are loving you every month when the bill is paid.

But the purpose of this thread is if anyone has any "real experience" on the XS option or jump from XS->Small option.

Castro 12.12.2014 17:44

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by donalwho (Post 2301633)
Not really the same as dialup. It would be almost 2x full rate ISDN. Which was vastly better than dialup.
Mobile content is also not the same full web content where the average page size is way smaller than full web pages.

I'm sure you are having a blast on 14Mbit/s and I am sure Swisscom are loving you every month when the bill is paid.

But the purpose of this thread is if anyone has any "real experience" on the XS option or jump from XS->Small option.

Why not consider Lycamobile? Its Swisscom 4G where you rightly pay for what you use, as opposed to the flawed Swisscom model of unlimited drip-drip data. CHF 5.90 per GB at 4G speeds, its a no brainer. The only slight inconvenience is that its pre-pay as opposed to post-pay, but just load up a few hundred francs and you're good for however long it lasts.

dandi 12.12.2014 18:21

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2301469)

Is the Cablecom mobile service based on the SwissCom network? Was it not on Orange's?

Slaphead 12.12.2014 19:44

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by donalwho (Post 2301633)
Not really the same as dialup. It would be almost 2x full rate ISDN. Which was vastly better than dialup.
Mobile content is also not the same full web content where the average page size is way smaller than full web pages.

I'm sure you are having a blast on 14Mbit/s and I am sure Swisscom are loving you every month when the bill is paid.

But the purpose of this thread is if anyone has any "real experience" on the XS option or jump from XS->Small option.

The late nineties just called, they want their internet connection back.

You really haven't defined exactly what the phone is going to be used for with regards to Internet connection

If it's just using things like the SBB app then edge will do. Seriously, if it's low volume data then go for a cheap capped service, and avoid Swisscom.

donalwho 12.12.2014 23:00

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaphead (Post 2301746)
if it's low volume data then go for a cheap capped service, and avoid Swisscom.

Sorry to repeat myself... again and again. We have no orange or sunrise coverage where we live and we want an abo with unlimited calls to fixed and mobile.
And.... no... we want unlimited data as well but I want to know how the advertised data speeds impact on user experience

donalwho 12.12.2014 23:06

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2301692)
Why not consider Lycamobile? Its Swisscom 4G where you rightly pay for what you use, as opposed to the flawed Swisscom model of unlimited drip-drip data. CHF 5.90 per GB at 4G speeds, its a no brainer. The only slight inconvenience is that its pre-pay as opposed to post-pay, but just load up a few hundred francs and you're good for however long it lasts.

The data looks very good value but we also want the unlimited calls to all swiss networks offered by infinity.

donalwho 12.12.2014 23:09

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaphead (Post 2301746)
The late nineties just called, they want their internet connection back.

You really haven't defined exactly what the phone is going to be used for with regards to Internet connection

If it's just using things like the SBB app then edge will do. Seriously, if it's low volume data then go for a cheap capped service, and avoid Swisscom.

Normal smartphone usage as I posted in the opener. SBB / 20min.ch / email/ viber / whatsapp / facebook

Castro 12.12.2014 23:52

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by donalwho (Post 2301823)
The data looks very good value but we also want the unlimited calls to all swiss networks offered by infinity.

In that case the infinity M package (15 mbit/s) for 25 francs more is far better value than the frankly unusable S and XS packages.

donalwho 13.12.2014 09:43

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2301835)
In that case the infinity M package (15 mbit/s) for 25 francs more is far better value than the frankly unusable S and XS packages.

So you have used the XS and S package and know that they are unusable or you are just guessing???
I can guess myself that the M package is great but I'm interested in saving 300.- /year if possible.
I'm only interested in people's real experience with the XS or S package.

Mark75 13.12.2014 10:18

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by donalwho (Post 2301898)
I'm only interested in people's real experience with the XS or S package.

I never had the the XS but I had the S plan for about a year. While it's slowish, it's ok for e-mail, web surfing (news etc.), chat, useful apps such as SBB, Meteoschweiz, etc.

My SO still has the S and I hear no complaints aside from the ones I have with Infitinity M, i.e. network overload in places like Zürich HB and poor coverage in some areas.

Can't comment on the XS, sorry.

BTW what I did to figure out if the S plan was enough for me: I temporarily installed NetLimiter on my Windows PC and throttled speed for Firefox to the Infinity S limits to see how it went.

donalwho 13.12.2014 11:23

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Great thanks that's just what I wanted to hear. much appreciated.

nigelr 13.12.2014 15:38

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
For nearly 2 years now I have M which is really good but expensive and my wife has S which is pretty much useless. Switching to a much cheaper option with Orange has been a good experience so far. If you must have Swisscom then M is the minimum I would recommend.

crocked 14.12.2014 18:59

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Don't have swisscom infinity myself but one of my friends had xs and he upgraded to m (skipping s) quite quickly as he found it too slow.

I don't know the exact details but as he was paying more I think he could easily change upwards sp you could do the same (start wih xs and switch upwards)

I'm also in an area where orange and sunrise aren't great but have an orange mobile as it's fine for work in the city and I couldn't justify the extra cost of swisscom.

I will probably switch to the new Migros M-Budget One in the spring when my contract expires as it is using Swisscom's network meaning I'll have good coverage at home as well.

It's not unlimited so if your data goes over 1 gig then it may not make sense and the number of calls is also not unlimited (ony 500 minutes) and I think the speed is limited to 3G but as my phone only has that it's fine for me at least.

Just be aware that in most case unlimited is never really unlimited at least in terms of data (Swisscom is after 5GB data if I recall correctly) and how this is handled varies by provider (i.e. throttled, charged extra or blocked).

donalwho 17.12.2014 14:52

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crocked (Post 2302440)
I will probably switch to the new Migros M-Budget One in the spring when my contract expires as it is using Swisscom's network meaning I'll have good coverage at home as well.

It's not unlimited so if your data goes over 1 gig then it may not make sense and the number of calls is also not unlimited (ony 500 minutes) and I think the speed is limited to 3G but as my phone only has that it's fine for me at least.

Thanks Crocked. This actually looks really interesting. 500min and 1GB data is really sufficient for even the most chatty of users. It looks like a really good compromise and I think we will go for it instead of the Swisscom option.

armed_neutrality 17.12.2014 15:26

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

infinity XS
I am familiar with the notion that not all infinities are equal, or, more strictly, that infinite sets come in different cardinalities. I do hope that a mathematician will one day name the cardinality of an infinite set "Infinity XS".

IPBlocked 21.12.2014 23:43

Re: Swisscom infinity XS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2301469)
You've got the upload and download speeds the wrong way round.
In any case 0.2 Mbit/s is virtually unusual in smartphone terms, unless all she will do is check emails and surf (slowly). The 1 Mbit/s option is obviously a lot better, but then you're paying CHF 75 for a painfully throttled service :eek:

Since signal is an issue, perhaps a better option would be to use one of the virtual providers who use the Swisscom backbone.

Swisscom:
Lycamobile: http://www.lycamobile.ch/de/
Cablecom:http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/mobile/
M-budget Mobile: http://shop.m-budget.migros.ch
Mucho: http://muchomobile.ch/
TalkTalk: http://www.talktalk.ch
Tele2:http://www.tele4u.ch
Telebroke Mobile:http://www.telebroke.com

Cablecom uses Orange, TalkTalk uses Sunrise


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0