English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with? (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/226588-what-replace-smashed-nexus-5-a.html)

Phil_MCR 25.01.2015 22:18

What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
I want to replace my N5. I was thinking of just getting another N5, but thought I'd ask if there were any better ideas. Criteria:

- Not bigger/heavier than N5
- CPU/RAM no worse than N5
- Runs at least Android 4.4.4

Sean Connery 25.01.2015 22:25

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Another N5, silly!

porsch1909 25.01.2015 22:39

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Xperia z3

Castro 25.01.2015 23:01

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
32 GB LG G3 for CHF 399

Orac 25.01.2015 23:02

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Another Nexus 5. They are great. Digital has a great price normally.

Castro 25.01.2015 23:05

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orac (Post 2327604)
Another Nexus 5. They are great. Digital has a great price normally.

Its 2013 LG G2 selling for CHF 469 with only 16 GB :msnsarcastic:

König 25.01.2015 23:15

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
One plus one if you have an invite...
https://oneplus.net/

I had one but it expired.

Castro 25.01.2015 23:46

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by König (Post 2327613)
One plus one if you have an invite...
https://oneplus.net/

I had one but it expired.

He wants a phone that isn't much bigger/heavier than his N5

Phil_MCR 26.01.2015 00:11

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Shortlisted: N5, LG G3, Moto X (2014), Mi4

I wish the Moto G had a high-spec version. The form factor is great - if only it had a better CPU, more RAM and more storage...

porsch1909 26.01.2015 00:23

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2327603)
32 GB LG G3 for CHF 399

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro (Post 2327631)
He wants a phone that isn't much bigger/heavier than his N5

Yet you recommend a lg G3 with a 5.5 inch screen?

papasmurf 26.01.2015 09:24

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
When I replaced my N5 I looked at the LG and on the software side its lovely and pretty close to the pure Android experience, but the hardware just didn't fit for me, the phone feels wrong somehow and the buttons are awkward. I went for the M8 in the end. Though if they did N6 with a smaller screen I would jump at it.

drkarthiks 26.01.2015 09:26

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
If it is just the screen, you could replace it yourself for 100 USD and 20 minutes of your time.

Castro 26.01.2015 09:54

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porsch1909 (Post 2327640)
Yet you recommend a lg G3 with a 5.5 inch screen?

Only 19g heavier though and the phone is as thin with the benefits of removable battery and memory card slot. The best thing about LGs is their razor thin bezels, which equals more screen in the same form factor as many 5" phones.

Fridge 26.01.2015 10:07

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
- Z3 compact (full size if you're willing to bend on the size as the battery is much better)
- moto x

dbucar 26.01.2015 11:04

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
To Z3C my vote goes

Phil_MCR 26.01.2015 11:13

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkarthiks (Post 2327706)
If it is just the screen, you could replace it yourself for 100 USD and 20 minutes of your time.

actually, with the strong CHF, I can send it to the UK for repair for 100chfs.

drkarthiks 26.01.2015 13:41

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 2327776)
actually, with the strong CHF, I can send it to the UK for repair for 100chfs.

Then, I would just go for that option :) And upgrade to Lollipop. Done....

Castro 26.01.2015 13:46

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkarthiks (Post 2327907)
Then, I would just go for that option :) And upgrade to Lollipop. Done....

No, thats boring :mad:

Russkov 26.01.2015 14:33

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
I may be biased as I recently got one, but the LG G3 for 399 CHF is ridiculous value for money. It shouldn't be that cheap. Yeah, it's big, but surprisingly light, has Lollipop, a great camera, 32GB of expandable storage, wireless charging, and 3GB of RAM.

The Xperia Z3 Compact is pretty good, too, if you absolutely must have N5 size or smaller. Can be had for 378 CHF at Conrad with their "EURODROP" discount coupon and pre-payment.

Phil_MCR 26.01.2015 14:38

Re: What to replace a smashed Nexus 5 with?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkov (Post 2327956)
I may be biased as I recently got one, but the LG G3 for 399 CHF is ridiculous value for money. It shouldn't be that cheap. Yeah, it's big, but surprisingly light, has Lollipop, a great camera, 32GB of expandable storage, wireless charging, and 3GB of RAM.

The Xperia Z3 Compact is pretty good, too, if you absolutely must have N5 size or smaller. Can be had for 378 CHF at Conrad with their "EURODROP" discount coupon and pre-payment.

I'm looking at the G3 because although it is bigger, it isn't much bigger and the the boosted specs (3GB RAM) would be welcome.

The z3 compact I ruled out because it has a glass back. Mi4 could have been a contender except that I can't get one with European LTE bands.

How easy was it to upgrade to lollipop/root the G3? I guess I would stick with 4.4.4 until 5.x.x stabilises as I don't want to be constantly upgrading as lollipop is fixed.

It's a shame that almost all the high-spec phones are only available in phablet-sized packages. :/


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0