Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 16.11.2015, 04:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 531
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 155 Posts
we_da_man has earned some respectwe_da_man has earned some respect
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
I want opinions from people who understand the plight of paying-for-TV bunch, who somehow like to watch live channels on their TV sets.

Here goes:
Been with Swisscom for a long time, Vivo M. But Swisscom can only support 40mbps max at this address, while Cablecom claims they can support 250mbps. Price wise the Internet+TV+Phone+CableFees is same between Cablecom and Swisscom, with the speed upgrade to 6x if I change to Cablecom.

Any advice?
I would personally say go for it, the internet speed and the fact that your TV channels/recording ..etc is not taking any of your bandwidth is worth the change but also do not forget with cablecom and providing you open your own wifi to others you are able to use the freewifi service across the country .. just a thought.

One other matter, cablecom is now coming out with many apps for the different platforms apps that can give TV media box controlling/watching/recording more detail here.

The one thing I would advice people going to cablecom is to separate the media box (Horizon) and the cable modem/router ie ask cablecom to send you two boxes, this would enable people to 1) separate the operation and reduce error issues 2) have the media box next to the TV and have the wifi/phone connection in a different location and hence probably better signal and accessibility.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank we_da_man for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
discodan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
I would personally say go for it, the internet speed and the fact that your TV channels/recording ..etc is not taking any of your bandwidth is worth the change but also do not forget with cablecom and providing you open your own wifi to others you are able to use the freewifi service across the country .. just a thought.

One other matter, cablecom is now coming out with many apps for the different platforms apps that can give TV media box controlling/watching/recording more detail here.

The one thing I would advice people going to cablecom is to separate the media box (Horizon) and the cable modem/router ie ask cablecom to send you two boxes, this would enable people to 1) separate the operation and reduce error issues 2) have the media box next to the TV and have the wifi/phone connection in a different location and hence probably better signal and accessibility.
Did you manage to get Cablecom to send you two boxes? I have the horizon box, but have had multiple issues which this might fix.

For all the positive posts about Cablecom customer service - you can find x10 negative ones (unfortunately I'm one of them). Internet dropping out, faulty Horizon box, unresponsive support team. I'm thinking about switching, but they do offer a good overall package cost wise and internet speed is better than most.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07.12.2015, 16:53
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 726 Times in 399 Posts
Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,224 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

When setting up the Horizon Box one can choose to use either the inbuilt router or use an external router
Quote:
View Post
I would personally say go for it, the internet speed and the fact that your TV channels/recording ..etc is not taking any of your bandwidth is worth the change but also do not forget with cablecom and providing you open your own wifi to others you are able to use the freewifi service across the country .. just a thought.

One other matter, cablecom is now coming out with many apps for the different platforms apps that can give TV media box controlling/watching/recording more detail here.

The one thing I would advice people going to cablecom is to separate the media box (Horizon) and the cable modem/router ie ask cablecom to send you two boxes, this would enable people to 1) separate the operation and reduce error issues 2) have the media box next to the TV and have the wifi/phone connection in a different location and hence probably better signal and accessibility.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07.12.2015, 17:43
DUTCH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 188
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 218 Times in 104 Posts
DUTCH has earned the respect of manyDUTCH has earned the respect of manyDUTCH has earned the respect of many
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

As mentioned before, I switched from Swisscom to Cablecom last week. Experience has been hassle free so far. Phone number was ported.

Yes, I asked and got 2 boxes. One for TV and "Connect Box" for Internet & phone, which I have plugged in different rooms. The WiFi of the ConnectBox is not very powerful in range, so I am planning to buy a new Router.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07.12.2015, 18:09
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,881
Groaned at 313 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 8,871 Times in 3,148 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
As mentioned before, I switched from Swisscom to Cablecom last week. Experience has been hassle free so far. Phone number was ported.

Yes, I asked and got 2 boxes. One for TV and "Connect Box" for Internet & phone, which I have plugged in different rooms. The WiFi of the ConnectBox is not very powerful in range, so I am planning to buy a new Router.
UPC's modem/router/connect box is not only not very powerful, it's also slow.

I get about 50Mbps with it and 90Mbps with an Asus RT-86U in an iPad Air

With an iMac the difference is 80Mbps and 250Mbps...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07.12.2015, 19:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 531
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 155 Posts
we_da_man has earned some respectwe_da_man has earned some respect
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
One for TV and "Connect Box" for Internet & phone, which I have plugged in different rooms. The WiFi of the ConnectBox is not very powerful in range, so I am planning to buy a new Router.
Did you actually get the new connect box router ie the white box? if yes have you had a chance to get into the box configuration and try to set the wifi frequency 5G vs 2.4G? are you able to enable both at the same time. I am curios as the older boxes do not give that option its either/or but I heard the new box does give that option.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07.12.2015, 19:59
DUTCH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 188
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 218 Times in 104 Posts
DUTCH has earned the respect of manyDUTCH has earned the respect of manyDUTCH has earned the respect of many
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Both the frequencies, 2.4 and 5, are on by default. You have the option to enable/disable separately.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DUTCH for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 23.06.2016, 23:24
soswiss's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
soswiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
If you can get fibre, then get fibre7 https://www.fiber7.ch/de/

It's insanely fast in terms of overall speed, very stable, and you can then just get a TV contract with Cablecom for a cheap monthly price.
Fiber7 also offer VDSL. How does it compare to the other ISPs?

http://www.init7.net/en/private/vdsl
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 29.06.2016, 20:20
Strolls's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Strolls is considered knowledgeableStrolls is considered knowledgeableStrolls is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swisscom vs Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
Fiber7 also offer VDSL. How does it compare to the other ISPs?

http://www.init7.net/en/private/vdsl

I also checked out Fiber7 to compare against Swisscom since it was the only comparable solution in Zug in terms of speed, but what put me off is the fact that if you have a technical problem you may have to wait days before you reach someone from the hotline. While Swisscom is more expensive, I appreciate that they at least have a 24/7 hotline (whether they are able to solve the problem right away is a separate issue).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Strolls for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swisscom vs Orange vs Sunrise signal strength... opinions please. Richdog TV/internet/telephone 69 29.11.2016 21:51
Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecom standardgirl TV/internet/telephone 71 30.04.2012 14:50
Blackberry - Orange vs. Swisscom, 8900 Curve vs. 9000 Bold tomcat TV/internet/telephone 14 01.07.2009 15:45
Cablecom vs Swisscom and minimum contract period. Gaggiol0 TV/internet/telephone 26 16.02.2008 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0