Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.06.2015, 17:45
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,578
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,569 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Best for data roaming?

Is there any Swiss network, other than the big 3, that offers a good deal on data roaming? Salt, Swisscom and Sunrise do not.

My contract with Salt is up in a few months and just looking at options.

We have a good deal for Switzerland, 1GB data, 60 mins calls & unlimited texts for 20chf a month (not sure we'll get that again). But it's not good for roaming, you can do a 5chf add on a month but that only gives you 10mb of data a month

Wondered if there is another option, or if I should stick with Salt for use in CH and get a cheap contract in the UK which has cheap/free roaming for when I pop over the borders or am on holiday?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.06.2015, 17:56
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,913
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,537 Times in 5,934 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/mobile/subscriptions/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.06.2015, 17:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,363
Groaned at 247 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 12,741 Times in 7,160 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
Is there any Swiss network, other than the big 3, that offers a good deal on data roaming? Salt, Swisscom and Sunrise do not.

My contract with Salt is up in a few months and just looking at options.

We have a good deal for Switzerland, 1GB data, 60 mins calls & unlimited texts for 20chf a month (not sure we'll get that again). But it's not good for roaming, you can do a 5chf add on a month but that only gives you 10mb of data a month

Wondered if there is another option, or if I should stick with Salt for use in CH and get a cheap contract in the UK which has cheap/free roaming for when I pop over the borders or am on holiday?
PAYG on UK's 3 network is worth looking at if your in the UK every few months.
£10 gives you 100 minutes 3000 texts & 500MB data for 30 days
CH, France & many others are at home countries.

It's cheaper to use my UK phone in CH than my Swisscom phone
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.06.2015, 18:08
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,578
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,569 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
PAYG on UK's 3 network is worth looking at if your in the UK every few months.
£10 gives you 100 minutes 3000 texts & 500MB data for 30 days
CH, France & many others are at home countries.

It's cheaper to use my UK phone in CH than my Swisscom phone
But I assume those inclusive minutes and texts can only be used to call UK numbers, not Swiss numbers or elsewhere?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.06.2015, 18:16
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,363
Groaned at 247 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 12,741 Times in 7,160 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
But I assume those inclusive minutes and texts can only be used to call UK numbers, not Swiss numbers or elsewhere?
I suspect your right on that, the data bundle is so good you might want a dual sim phone & data roam from the UK sim. Chinese dual sim phones cost from £50 on ebay
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.06.2015, 18:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 696
Groaned at 106 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 655 Times in 324 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
I suspect your right on that, the data bundle is so good you might want a dual sim phone & data roam from the UK sim. Chinese dual sim phones cost from £50 on ebay
At the cost of not being able to trust that phone EVER for business calls. Don't be fooled.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.06.2015, 18:32
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,363
Groaned at 247 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 12,741 Times in 7,160 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
At the cost of not being able to trust that phone EVER for business calls. Don't be fooled.
Been using one for 6 months with no issues, remind me where is the iPhone made?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 17.06.2015, 18:36
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,218
Groaned at 260 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 14,483 Times in 6,131 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
At the cost of not being able to trust that phone EVER for business calls. Don't be fooled.
someone drank too much US made cool-aid.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.06.2015, 18:46
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 133
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 45 Times in 32 Posts
kkmm has earned some respectkkmm has earned some respect
Re: Best for data roaming?

When abroad I use swiss mobile as a second sim-card for calls+data. Data is CHF 0.10/1 MB, calls to CH+EU around CHF0.14-0.19/min. The sim number you get is UK-based though it means that calls from CH number to swiss mobile costs around CHF 0.80/min.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.06.2015, 19:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 696
Groaned at 106 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 655 Times in 324 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
someone drank too much US made cool-aid.
You really think a 50$ phone isn't tapped by default? Compared to that really expensive one that still is made in China? Get real.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.06.2015, 19:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,363
Groaned at 247 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 12,741 Times in 7,160 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
You really think a 50$ phone isn't tapped by default? Compared to that really expensive one that still is made in China? Get real.
They will be very bored if they tap my calls
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18.06.2015, 08:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nidwalden
Posts: 433
Groaned at 40 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 447 Times in 187 Posts
salie has an excellent reputationsalie has an excellent reputationsalie has an excellent reputationsalie has an excellent reputation
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
Been using one for 6 months with no issues, remind me where is the iPhone made?
My China phone lasted 6 months too. Top end $100 model too Then the volume control stopped and later 2 buttons fell off. Apparently the sound heard by the person you were calling was dreadful too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.06.2015, 12:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 44
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
TomBern has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
My contract with Salt is up in a few months and just looking at options.
We have a good deal for Switzerland, 1GB data, 60 mins calls & unlimited texts for 20chf a month (not sure we'll get that again).
Just a side note: Yes, you can keep your contract. Just call them and ask.
It worked for me. I said I would quit if I could not keep that contract.
(That was before the name change from Orange to Salt.)
Maybe you could even try to have them switch your Abo from "Swiss 60" to "Salt 60".
Old: Swiss 60 = 60 Minutes to all networks (plus free calls to your own voicemail)
New: Unlimited Salt 60 = 60 Minutes to all networks PLUS "unlimited" (i.e. 3000) minutes to Salt mobile.
Not sure if that works, though. But you could try. If the first person says "no", ask them to ask their supervisor.

If you need more minutes, but don't want a new phone, have a look at
http://shop.m-budget.migros.ch/de/mo...get-mobile-one
M-Budget Mobile One Abo: CHF 29.- per month, including 500 minutes to all networks, 500 SMS, 1 GB data.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.06.2015, 13:02
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,308
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post

If you need more minutes, but don't want a new phone, have a look at
http://shop.m-budget.migros.ch/de/mo...get-mobile-one
M-Budget Mobile One Abo: CHF 29.- per month, including 500 minutes to all networks, 500 SMS, 1 GB data.
Not as good as Aldi Mobile, though, where less gets you more:

CHF 27,90 gives 1000 mins. to landlines and mobiles, 1000 SMS and 1GB data.

https://www.aldi-mobile.ch/optionen/smart1000.html
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20.06.2015, 13:07
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,218
Groaned at 260 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 14,483 Times in 6,131 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
You really think a 50$ phone isn't tapped by default? Compared to that really expensive one that still is made in China? Get real.
so you think that because it is cheap, the chinese government are subsidizing it in exchange for putting in a bugging device inside? or what? struggling to see your logic in linking price of the device with it being bugged.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20.06.2015, 19:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 531
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 155 Posts
we_da_man has earned some respectwe_da_man has earned some respect
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
Not as good as Aldi Mobile, though, where less gets you more:

CHF 27,90 gives 1000 mins. to landlines and mobiles, 1000 SMS and 1GB data.

https://www.aldi-mobile.ch/optionen/smart1000.html
Lycamobile gives a somewhat different offer for not such heavy users:
CHF19 gives you 300 Minutes to EU and Swiss (landlines & mobiles), 300 Lycamobile to Lycamobile minutes & SMS in Switzerland, 500 MB 4G Data

For more heavy users, here a good option:
CHF 39 gives you unlimited Minutes to EU and Swiss (landlines & mobiles), National SMS and 2GB 4G Data

An they use Swisscom Network
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.06.2015, 19:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 531
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 155 Posts
we_da_man has earned some respectwe_da_man has earned some respect
Re: Best for data roaming?

Quote:
View Post
Is there any Swiss network, other than the big 3, that offers a good deal on data roaming? Salt, Swisscom and Sunrise do not.

My contract with Salt is up in a few months and just looking at options.

We have a good deal for Switzerland, 1GB data, 60 mins calls & unlimited texts for 20chf a month (not sure we'll get that again). But it's not good for roaming, you can do a 5chf add on a month but that only gives you 10mb of data a month

Wondered if there is another option, or if I should stick with Salt for use in CH and get a cheap contract in the UK which has cheap/free roaming for when I pop over the borders or am on holiday?
I am not sure (as the titles are confusing) but I believe Lycamobile has some good options depending on the country you are visiting. eg 500MB for CHF7 when visiting (Australi ,Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Spain, Netherland,Sweden, UK). See the second page of this PDF

Sorry upfront if I am reading the whole options wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19.07.2017, 18:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Skrelz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Best for data roaming?

With the change in roaming rates in the EU, Lycamobile has removed all their data bundle add-ons. Does anyone know of a sim only data plan, that includes roaming, that doesn't cost the earth for 500mb per month
TIA
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19.07.2017, 19:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 1,517
Groaned at 90 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 1,414 Times in 729 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best for data roaming?

UPC's answer to current happenings.

Given that we already have internet from UPC we find the offer for 4GB from 45 for 35,- very, very nice.

https://www.upc.ch/de/mobile/uebersi...SAAEgJmKPD_BwE
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19.07.2017, 19:48
BaselLife's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Basel
Posts: 933
Groaned at 29 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 568 Times in 310 Posts
BaselLife has earned the respect of manyBaselLife has earned the respect of manyBaselLife has earned the respect of many
Re: Best for data roaming?

Hi,

I pay 69 chf to Salt for unlimited data in Switzerland and unlimited calls and sms's in Europe/Switzerland. In Europe I get 1Gb roaming which is great. If I was not tied into this deal I would change to UPC as they have some great offers.

I remember what I had to pay for mobile connectivity in the past and it is amazing how much cheaper it has become in Switzerland. Not as cheap as the rest of Europe but now it is cheap enough that I forgot about the bill.

Have fun
Martin
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Roaming.... [Charged Roaming Even though Cellular Data Turned Off] Styx Complaints corner 45 23.02.2014 13:30
Swisscom Changed data roaming charges fatmanfilms TV/internet/telephone 0 13.07.2011 00:27
The data + voice roaming thread dawiz TV/internet/telephone 9 31.01.2011 15:09
international data roaming bill of 4,000 CHF trink TV/internet/telephone 123 18.07.2010 18:19
Just got smacked for data roaming Phil_MCR Complaints corner 5 07.06.2010 20:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0