Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.04.2016, 11:45
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

It's okay, you can call me stupid.

Until recently I had a Nokia phone I bought in 2009. I use prepaid Lebara. If I wanted internet access, I sent an sms to a particular number with a particular code and I was then charged 5CHF/month, which was enough for me to do emails which is all I wanted it for. I cancelled this last year as my phone was not working well enough to do emails.

My phone died and, unable to find a replacement for my Nokia except by buying a Blackberry (I love proper keyboards) I bought what I suppose is a smart phone. I received an advice from Lebara maybe a week later saying my credit was low. When I looked in my account it was charging me for internet.

I wrote and complained and was told that I had to manually turn off all the things to do with internet that were automatic at the moment. I've done that, but I want my money back. Is that unreasonable? Why does Lebara get to charge me for a service I have not requested from them?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Salad Days for this post:
  #2  
Old 04.04.2016, 11:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,982
Groaned at 286 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 15,517 Times in 8,616 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

If data was turned on, you were using the service as your phone would connect. I think you should pay.

Quote:
View Post
It's okay, you can call me stupid.

Until recently I had a Nokia phone I bought in 2009. I use prepaid Lebara. If I wanted internet access, I sent an sms to a particular number with a particular code and I was then charged 5CHF/month, which was enough for me to do emails which is all I wanted it for. I cancelled this last year as my phone was not working well enough to do emails.

My phone died and, unable to find a replacement for my Nokia except by buying a Blackberry (I love proper keyboards) I bought what I suppose is a smart phone. I received an advice from Lebara maybe a week later saying my credit was low. When I looked in my account it was charging me for internet.

I wrote and complained and was told that I had to manually turn off all the things to do with internet that were automatic at the moment. I've done that, but I want my money back. Is that unreasonable? Why does Lebara get to charge me for a service I have not requested from them?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.04.2016, 11:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SG
Posts: 81
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 20 Posts
zuki has earned some respectzuki has earned some respect
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

I changed from Lebara pre-paid after having some similar problems.

They were charging me for a 1GB data plan, and I was only getting 500MB. Which I then of course was charged per MB after the 500 ran out. After that they also once charged me twice for topping up my account once. In my experience, Lebara has a lot of problems. I can't say that they do it on purpose, but you have to be very careful with their services, and definitely check your account often!! Call right away if you see any problems in your account usage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank zuki for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 04.04.2016, 12:01
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
I changed from Lebara pre-paid after having some similar problems.

They were charging me for a 1GB data plan, and I was only getting 500MB. Which I then of course was charged per MB after the 500 ran out. After that they also once charged me twice for topping up my account once. In my experience, Lebara has a lot of problems. I can't say that they do it on purpose, but you have to be very careful with their services, and definitely check your account often!! Call right away if you see any problems in your account usage.
I certainly agree that there can be lots of issues with Lebara. I've been illegally charged twice for other things, but have quickly sorted it out. On this one, despite complaints, so far I haven't.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.04.2016, 12:03
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
If data was turned on, you were using the service as your phone would connect. I think you should pay.
So, even though it's a PHONE - something for making PHONECALLS - they can charge me for using the internet without any agreement?

And continuing along that path, when I am using wifi they can still charge me because, well, because they can?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Salad Days for this post:
  #6  
Old 04.04.2016, 12:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,982
Groaned at 286 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 15,517 Times in 8,616 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
So, even though it's a PHONE - something for making PHONECALLS - they can charge me for using the internet without any agreement?

And continuing along that path, when I am using wifi they can still charge me because, well, because they can?
You used the service as your phone was downloading data, of course your liable to pay the costs.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.04.2016, 12:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,522
Groaned at 49 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,803 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
You used the service as your phone was downloading data, of course your liable to pay the costs.
Exactly - a phone company I was with had the same thing with a prepaid option some time ago IIRC. I only used the phone and sms options, so I turned wifi off. Had I left it on I would've been charged an amount per day.

Quote:
View Post
If data was turned on, you were using the service as your phone would connect. I think you should pay.
Agreed - if you don't want to pay for wifi, best to switch it off IMO. I'm sure that the small print some place in your contract says that there is a charge for wifi.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.04.2016, 12:26
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
Exactly - a phone company I was with had the same thing with a prepaid option some time ago IIRC. I only used the phone and sms options, so I turned wifi off. Had I left it on I would've been charged an amount per day.



Agreed - if you don't want to pay for wifi, best to switch it off IMO. I'm sure that the small print some place in your contract says that there is a charge for wifi.
Sorry, I meant if I am using other wifi, say a cafe's or my own, Lebara is still going to charge me because it can?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.04.2016, 15:54
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 211
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 230 Times in 82 Posts
MarKanLu is considered knowledgeableMarKanLu is considered knowledgeableMarKanLu is considered knowledgeable
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
So, even though it's a PHONE - something for making PHONECALLS - they can charge me for using the internet without any agreement?

And continuing along that path, when I am using wifi they can still charge me because, well, because they can?
What about buying a basic phone (one that only has the functionalities needed for making calls - as in the good old times) and use that with your Lebara SIM? Then, when/if you get a plan with unrestricted data usage, you can use your new smart phone without having to deal with the data switch.

By the way, once I got stung really bad with roaming charges for data usage when I forgot to switch data off after crossing borders. Lesson learnt.

If you ever go close to the borders, you need to find out how to manually choose a service provider, or the phone will automatically switch to the provider with the strongest signal.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.04.2016, 16:01
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
What about buying a basic phone (one that only has the functionalities needed for making calls - as in the good old times) and use that with your Lebara SIM? Then, when/if you get a plan with unrestricted data usage, you can use your new smart phone without having to deal with the data switch.
Yes, I'm starting to wish I'd done that. I had email on my old Nokia and I really need email, so I kind of thought that I had to get one of these new phones they have in the cities now (as Stewart Lee might put it). But maybe I should just get a phone phone and accept that I can't use it for emails. Accept that I've chucked a bit more money down the Swiss drain (and my, what a big drain it is).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.04.2016, 17:06
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I'm starting to wish I'd done that. I had email on my old Nokia and I really need email, so I kind of thought that I had to get one of these new phones they have in the cities now (as Stewart Lee might put it). But maybe I should just get a phone phone and accept that I can't use it for emails. Accept that I've chucked a bit more money down the Swiss drain (and my, what a big drain it is).
You have tons of options, if you need email on your phone:
  • get subscription with unlimited data
  • get subscription with no data, but use wifi to get your emails


there are also many other possibilities how you can get emails and Internet to your phone; and it need not be very expensive.



You would probably need to go to someone (or read online) how does it all work, because it seems that your knowledge of smartphones is limited.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meeyat for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 08.04.2016, 21:27
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,191
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,600 Times in 2,296 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
So, even though it's a PHONE - something for making PHONECALLS - they can charge me for using the internet without any agreement?

And continuing along that path, when I am using wifi they can still charge me because, well, because they can?
You will not be charged for WIFI. And you should have asked Lebara first about what is included and what not.Let the buyer beware!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.04.2016, 22:11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 197
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 76 Posts
jain has earned some respectjain has earned some respect
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Most of the data plans are activated once with the option of auto renewal (lyca has this for sure) or manual renewal. But I would assume that renewal is automatic by default. They also have a rather cheap promotion right now 120mb data for 30 days for 1.25 CHF. Most smartphone will have a setting option for mobile data on or off which you should do as soon as you know you have wifi.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jain for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 08.04.2016, 23:00
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
You will not be charged for WIFI. And you should have asked Lebara first about what is included and what not.Let the buyer beware!
Well, ok I guess, but since I had used internet with them for years by subscribing by an sms to turn it on and had cancelled this service months earlier, why should I have any idea that they are suddenly going to start charging me without my requesting it?! I'm still rather confused by the legality of this, though I've given up worrying about it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.04.2016, 00:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 251
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 102 Posts
Silvestre has a reputation beyond reputeSilvestre has a reputation beyond reputeSilvestre has a reputation beyond reputeSilvestre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
I'm still rather confused by the legality of this, though I've given up worrying about it.
How much have you accidentally spent on data? Given it is prepaid, I am guessing less than CHF 20. If so, I would suggest put it down as cost of learning how to use a smartphone. If not, and even if you spent say CHF 1,000, there is nothing you can do about it unless your prepaid option had data disabled.

I am guessing your prepaid option always had data enabled. Unlike your Blackberry, your Nokia did not use data in the background but only used data when you browsed/checked your email. Going forward, the only way not to incur extortionate data costs is to 1) buy data packs/bundles or 2) turn off data. You should be able to turn off data in one of two ways: 1) call Lebara customer service and disable data. If you do this then you will only be able to get emails / use the internet on wifi or after you re-enable it. 2) turn data off on your phone. If you post your Blackberry model number, I/someone can try to help you turn off the mobile data and roaming feature.

As for wifi, as other members have already said wifi has nothing to do with Lebara unless you use wifi (hotspots) provided by Lebara. As far as I know, Lebara does not provide wifi hotspots but don't take my word for it as I am not a Lebara customer. Your phone will typically only auto connect to wifi networks that you manually connect to and when you first connect you will know what wifi network requires you to pay for it. This payment is typically independent of Lebara.

HTH
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09.04.2016, 09:00
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,191
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,600 Times in 2,296 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Yes you are right. Thats why I say get rid of Lebara.You can change to another provider and keep your number. Compare the rates of Lebara prepaid with Sunrise and you will see that Sunrise has a much better offer .If you are under 30 then there are special offers.Go and speak to Sunrise. They will help you to change over to them.Lebara is maybe good if you call internationally alot. That would be the only reason to use Lebara. Thats why people have two Sim Cards-with one being from Lebara to call internationally.

Lebara has now two price plans for prepaid. Lebara Simply or Lebara Classic.With both price plans you pay around 25 Ruppen for each MB of Data you use on Mobile Internet. And that can cost alot if you surf alot. Thats why you have their Surf Option of 120 MB for 5 CHF. As soon as you stop the surf option then it reverts back to the normal price.

Did you get a new Sim Card when you got your new phone ?




Quote:
View Post
Well, ok I guess, but since I had used internet with them for years by subscribing by an sms to turn it on and had cancelled this service months earlier, why should I have any idea that they are suddenly going to start charging me without my requesting it?! I'm still rather confused by the legality of this, though I've given up worrying about it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.04.2016, 21:18
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,191
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,600 Times in 2,296 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

I advise you to change to Sunrise prepaid airbag with surf option of 7.50 for 250 MB data. Lebara charges you 4.50 for only 120 MB. Lebara is the worst of them all. 120 MB is used quickly if you access 4G. So one has to use some control for your usage.There is a small app called "Mein Datamanager "( my Data Manager ). There you can set it up according to your needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ia.android.mdm

I made the same mistake as you when I bought a new Smartphone and got a replacement Sim Card. The surf option was not included and I was hit for 50 CHF in a couple of days. Of course I had to pay but I got pretty angry in the shop.Now I have Sunrise Prepaid with Surf option of 7.50 CHF. One should always ask about such things-because these people just want to sell a product. They have no interest in you.

http://www1.sunrise.ch/Sunrise-Prepa...#Sunrise_surf_

http://www1.sunrise.ch/Sunrise-Prepa...udget-optionen

WIFI is usually free ( hotspot )

Last edited by omtatsat; 08.04.2016 at 21:34.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 08.04.2016, 23:04
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
I advise you to change to Sunrise prepaid airbag with surf option of 7.50 for 250 MB data. Lebara charges you 4.50 for only 120 MB. Lebara is the worst of them all. 120 MB is used quickly if you access 4G. So one has to use some control for your usage.There is a small app called "Mein Datamanager "( my Data Manager ). There you can set it up according to your needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ia.android.mdm

I made the same mistake as you when I bought a new Smartphone and got a replacement Sim Card. The surf option was not included and I was hit for 50 CHF in a couple of days. Of course I had to pay but I got pretty angry in the shop.Now I have Sunrise Prepaid with Surf option of 7.50 CHF. One should always ask about such things-because these people just want to sell a product. They have no interest in you.

http://www1.sunrise.ch/Sunrise-Prepa...#Sunrise_surf_

http://www1.sunrise.ch/Sunrise-Prepa...udget-optionen

WIFI is usually free ( hotspot )
Thank you, I'm looking through their options.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.04.2016, 23:34
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,950
Groaned at 81 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,434 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

We may be missing the point here.. Using the data or not using the data is not relevant if auto renew is enabled.. As somebody mentioned.

If you have auto renew enabled on a 500mb per month plan, even if you throw away the phone and use zero data, you will be charged each month for 500mb of data, regardless of any settings?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08.04.2016, 23:42
Salad Days's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 381
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 286 Times in 126 Posts
Salad Days has made some interesting contributions
Re: Has Lebara illegally charged me or am I just stupid?

Quote:
View Post
We may be missing the point here.. Using the data or not using the data is not relevant if auto renew is enabled.. As somebody mentioned.

If you have auto renew enabled on a 500mb per month plan, even if you throw away the phone and use zero data, you will be charged each month for 500mb of data, regardless of any settings?
Yes, I guess so. But although I had auto renewal of my Lebara surf, I'd cancelled it long ago as my phone started dying and the first sign was not coping with the internet. Definitely Lebara knew that and had stopped charging me.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else or just me? igapik Employment 2 28.02.2012 12:38
Am I being cynical or just plain mean? ka pai Daily life 28 12.12.2010 12:38
Easyjet - website down or just me? cazzamia General off-topic 21 03.12.2010 13:44
Disappointment or Am I just Really Ungrateful? Clarejane Complaints corner 48 24.10.2010 15:24
Irony or maybe it's just me? HAT Daily life 54 23.07.2008 07:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0