Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
View Poll Results: Are you going to be purchasing the new iPhone 7?
OMG OMG! I couldn't sleep last night! YES YES YES! 17 18.09%
Puh, Apple? They've not been innovative since Steve Jobs went west. I'll be sticking to my... 17 18.09%
Apple are a bunch of tax avoiding bastards, they won't be seeing a penny from me! 3 3.19%
Apple are a bunch of tax avoiding bastards, but I'm a shameless hypocrite. I want one! 10 10.64%
What's an Apple? 3 3.19%
I. Don't. Care. 44 46.81%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12.09.2016, 18:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Truplic has become a little unpopularTruplic has become a little unpopular
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
All you need to know about the latest great thing from Apple.

Thank you! Very informative!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12.09.2016, 21:36
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,341
Groaned at 108 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 15,777 Times in 5,054 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
I checked and Bose's NC BT headphones are 419 CHF.

AFAIK, the AirPods are pretty unique, from the feature-set (e.g. Siri access).
You are right, you won't get the full feature set with ordinary bluetooth headphones.
However the good news is that certain new Beats headphones will also incorporate the W1 wireless chip e.g. Solo3 Wireless, Powerbeats 3 Wireless and the more affordable line of Beats X neckbuds. They may out-licence to other manufacturers too.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12.09.2016, 21:38
Kosti's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oranje County
Posts: 488
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 871 Times in 364 Posts
Kosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today




Last edited by Kosti; 12.09.2016 at 21:55.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kosti for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 12.09.2016, 21:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stäfa , Switzerland
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bluewavelength has no particular reputation at present
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Is it really waterproof ... I see an IP rating of 68 which means no water ingress after 10 minutes of being submerged for a one time event, and one test immediately after. Waterpoof implies repeated exposure over a period of time, and I have yet to see evidence in support.



Quote:
View Post
I really like the new innovations on the iPhone 7. For example, it is the first innovative waterproof phone (there were others before but they were just waterproof, not innovative).
Also, it is the first phone that is available in black. I really wonder why no other manufacturer ever did that.
Finally, they got rid of this dreadful, old-fashioned headphones plug. I was waiting for that for years!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12.09.2016, 21:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
void has no particular reputation at present
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
Is it really waterproof ... I see an IP rating of 68 which means no water ingress after 10 minutes of being submerged for a one time event, and one test immediately after. Waterpoof implies repeated exposure over a period of time, and I have yet to see evidence in support.
Iirc it's IP67, not 68. IP67 is indeed not "waterproof", more like "water resistant" for short exposure and within a certain depth (I believe it's less than 1 meter).
Samsung did this on their Galaxy S4 active and their S5 years ago already. I tested it on my S5 when it was new (took and underwater photo in a swimming pool) and it still works now. Others have broken it by holding it under faucets, because IP67 does not mean it can withstand water pressure.
So no, iPhones are not waterproof now and I doubt they claim it - it's just interpreted this way.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12.09.2016, 22:06
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,249
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,425 Times in 2,262 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

This might help.

http://www.2mcctv.com/blog/2011_10_11-ip-rating-chart/

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 12.09.2016, 22:29
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Head Phones tend to get a hard beating and are quickly broken
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 14.09.2016, 11:27
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 127
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 52 Posts
Overflow has earned the respect of manyOverflow has earned the respect of manyOverflow has earned the respect of many
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
How do dual-SIM phones work these days?
Back when I had one, you had to log out of (basically: restart) your phone. But that was 15 years ago. I almost never used the 2nd SIM (phone was company provided).

Can the two SIMs be active at the same time, i.e. can you receive calls on both SIMs at the same time?

Apple already has a Software-only SIM on GSM-enabled iPads:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...s-stranglehold

If they could, they'd do that on iPhones, too. But obviously, carriers do not want this.


As for Android vs. iOS. Android does not work without giving all your data to Google, which in turn is selling out that data to the highest bidder for advertising. AFAIK, they allow advertisers to narrow down very, very close to individual users.
As an aside: in addition, cheap phones from China have been caught either siphoning data from users directly and sending it back to mainland-China or containing serious backdoors.

Apple does not do this. They keep all the data to themselves and actively anonymize most your activity and try to move as much processing back to the phone from the cloud.
And while you need to have an Apple-ID to activate the phone, you don't need to enable iCloud or iCloud Backups.
You can actually still sync most stuff via iTunes, if you want (calendar entries, contacts) and of course you can do manual, local, encrypted backups.
Which is not possible with Android, because while people are easy to come up with criticism on iTunes, nobody has come up with something better in Android-land either.

Android phones might be "cheaper" and the google-services are "free" - but that is a very skewed perception. The real price people pay is much, much higher.
I don't know why people worry so much with "the data that is being collected" nowadays.

Windows 10, credit cards, google searches, Facebook, Spotify, Instagram and most of the things that we have been using nowadays do similar things.

I switched from iPhone to Android 3 years ago and that "price that I'm paying" is far from being high.

Personally, I don't care if they find out that I listen to Spotify every morning at 08:30 when I'm in the train or that I play Pokemon Go.

It was the same thing with the privacy changes on Windows 10. Lots of people getting super worried that now their information will be collected. That feeling that somehow makes them think they are more important than the others. The truth is, nobody really cares for what you do on your phone. You are just a small and tiny number in a universe of numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 14.09.2016, 12:06
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,108
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,894 Times in 2,214 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Interesting take on the 3.5 elimination.


Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 14.09.2016, 12:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,505
Groaned at 65 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,981 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
I don't know why people worry so much with "the data that is being collected" nowadays.

Windows 10, credit cards, google searches, Facebook, Spotify, Instagram and most of the things that we have been using nowadays do similar things.
I don't use:
- Windows 10
- credit cards (I pay cash most of the time and I don't collect bonus points)
- FB, Spotify, Instagram (because you need a FB account)
- I do use Google, but I'm not logged into it

Quote:
View Post
I switched from iPhone to Android 3 years ago and that "price that I'm paying" is far from being high.

Personally, I don't care if they find out that I listen to Spotify every morning at 08:30 when I'm in the train or that I play Pokemon Go.

It was the same thing with the privacy changes on Windows 10. Lots of people getting super worried that now their information will be collected. That feeling that somehow makes them think they are more important than the others. The truth is, nobody really cares for what you do on your phone. You are just a small and tiny number in a universe of numbers.
Advertisers care.
And the government obviously cares, too.
Or why would they spend so much money on infrastructure for LE?

Also, just as Apple tries harder year after year to squeeze more money out of their customers, Google will make it harder and harder to avoid their customers' ads - because those are their real customers and you are just the product they sell.
It's easy to imagine a "Minority Report"-type future where ads literally "jump" at you as you walk down the street.
BT-beacons are a thing already - and Google constantly tracks your location via the Play Store app (you can't disable this, unless you disable GPS completely for all apps: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...ill_track_you/) and it's easy to imagine what advertisers could do with that kind of data.

You already have ads that follow you "around" on websites you visit. Now imagine ads following you around as you walk in a mall or through a shopping-street...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 14.09.2016, 12:36
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
I don't use:
- Windows 10
- credit cards (I pay cash most of the time and I don't collect bonus points)
- FB, Spotify, Instagram (because you need a FB account)
- I do use Google, but I'm not logged into it



Advertisers care.
And the government obviously cares, too.
Or why would they spend so much money on infrastructure for LE?

Also, just as Apple tries harder year after year to squeeze more money out of their customers, Google will make it harder and harder to avoid their customers' ads - because those are their real customers and you are just the product they sell.
It's easy to imagine a "Minority Report"-type future where ads literally "jump" at you as you walk down the street.
BT-beacons are a thing already - and Google constantly tracks your location via the Play Store app (you can't disable this, unless you disable GPS completely for all apps: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...ill_track_you/) and it's easy to imagine what advertisers could do with that kind of data.

You already have ads that follow you "around" on websites you visit. Now imagine ads following you around as you walk in a mall or through a shopping-street...
Actually, I'm with Overflow on this one. So ads are going to be more targeted towards things I might actually want? Ok, where's the loss for me? I believe myself capable of choosing not to buy a product nonetheless.

Sure, Google and the others get a benefit from having access to that data, but that's not the same as there being a loss for me in them using the data.

But we're getting off on a tangent here; I'm not sure this is about the i7 anymore.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 14.09.2016, 12:48
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,341
Groaned at 108 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 15,777 Times in 5,054 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
Actually, I'm with Overflow on this one. So ads are going to be more targeted towards things I might actually want? Ok, where's the loss for me? I believe myself capable of choosing not to buy a product nonetheless.

Sure, Google and the others get a benefit from having access to that data, but that's not the same as there being a loss for me in them using the data.

But we're getting off on a tangent here; I'm not sure this is about the i7 anymore.
For me the point is that we should have a robust method of opt-out. Some people are perfectly happy to live their lives with their living room curtains wide open, but others are not and and I am firmly in the 'not' camp.

My data and privacy is important to me, not because I have anything to hide but because I then don't know who wants it, has it and more importantly what they intend to do with it. Advertising is pretty harmless, but what about salespeople incessantly calling you at work and hounding you to sell you some crap because you expressed a vague interest in an email to a friend the night before.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 14.09.2016, 13:39
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
For me the point is that we should have a robust method of opt-out. Some people are perfectly happy to live their lives with their living room curtains wide open, but others are not and and I am firmly in the 'not' camp.

My data and privacy is important to me, not because I have anything to hide but because I then don't know who wants it, has it and more importantly what they intend to do with it. Advertising is pretty harmless, but what about salespeople incessantly calling you at work and hounding you to sell you some crap because you expressed a vague interest in an email to a friend the night before.
Oh, I agree with that - but the privacy policies in place are fairly robust, and so far, at least, neither Google nor Apple has gone that far.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 15.09.2016, 16:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 127
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 52 Posts
Overflow has earned the respect of manyOverflow has earned the respect of manyOverflow has earned the respect of many
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
I don't use:
- Windows 10
- credit cards (I pay cash most of the time and I don't collect bonus points)
- FB, Spotify, Instagram (because you need a FB account)
- I do use Google, but I'm not logged into it



Advertisers care.
And the government obviously cares, too.
Or why would they spend so much money on infrastructure for LE?

Also, just as Apple tries harder year after year to squeeze more money out of their customers, Google will make it harder and harder to avoid their customers' ads - because those are their real customers and you are just the product they sell.
It's easy to imagine a "Minority Report"-type future where ads literally "jump" at you as you walk down the street.
BT-beacons are a thing already - and Google constantly tracks your location via the Play Store app (you can't disable this, unless you disable GPS completely for all apps: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...ill_track_you/) and it's easy to imagine what advertisers could do with that kind of data.

You already have ads that follow you "around" on websites you visit. Now imagine ads following you around as you walk in a mall or through a shopping-street...
I don't have ads following me on the websites. I use ad-block . And I'm pretty sure if it ever comes to a level that is disturbing on "real life" like you are saying, there will be plenty options to get rid of all of that (like we have now with web and mobile using adblocks for example).
Also, despite all your caution, you also have tons of ads appearing to you when you surf on the internet. It's out of your control. Is not only Google doing that. It's basically the majority of services that you use, from send your CV to a HR agency to buy a new car and write your e-mail on the paper forms.

I'm not saying is 100% fine to sell our private information. Of course I would be happy to have an option on my phone/web that I can disable sharing of usage/information, but I will never private myself of new technologies and start to live inside a bubble because of what might/might not happen.

The technology out there is amazing and each day more surprising. I believe is a very risky concept to private yourself of all those cool things because of hypothetical fear.

But again, that's only my opinion, and what works for me might not work for you.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 15.09.2016, 16:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Apple also do ear piercing so you can attach the bud to your ear!
Quote:
View Post
I'd lose them air buds within an hour of getting them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 16.09.2016, 21:21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Snatx has no particular reputation at present
Re: iPhone 7 released today

It's a lot more than just your searches that google keeps track. Having ads flashing cars coz I google used audis doesn't bother me. But also location. They know where you live, where you work, where you go shopping, when you went out for dinner. They even do it through cellular network when GPS not available. They use all that info, they sell all that info. Googles major revenue it's them ads. This you all may be aware. But it's not all they use. They keep your voice searches too to improve your google voice search. If you use it. But it does t stop there. They also listen when you not using your phones. All that is gooogles business. Sure it's easy to manage all this history but if you don't know about this they been monitoring almost everything about your life for years.

https://youtu.be/TtmR9L0ITlM
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 16.09.2016, 21:29
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: iPhone 7 released today

I think they should build a Google church where you can go and pray to Google and confess your sins
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 16.09.2016, 23:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,505
Groaned at 65 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,981 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
I think they should build a Google church where you can go and pray to Google and confess your sins
It's called the "Drafts" folder in Gmail....
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 17.09.2016, 08:35
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Never owned an iphone yet why waste so much money on an over priced gimmick
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 17.09.2016, 09:54
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,836
Groaned at 330 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 10,921 Times in 3,796 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: iPhone 7 released today

Quote:
View Post
Never owned an iphone yet why waste so much money on an over priced gimmick
I bet you still use a typewriter...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apple, iphone, iphone 7, release, tax avoiding bastards




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you own an Iphone 4S...Apple released an important update cdcdoc TV/internet/telephone 3 12.02.2013 09:51
Apple iOS 5.1.x Jailbreak to be released today Castro General off-topic 3 25.05.2012 14:02
Firefox 4 Beta 9 released RetiredInNH General off-topic 13 24.05.2011 13:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0