Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.01.2017, 16:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop has become a little unpopularstop has become a little unpopular
Mobile Phone : SALT

I took this subscription from la poste called "ABO" with an interesting price at 49 fr per month.
Since then every month I receive additional costs and fees on top of these 49 chf, justified by new rules that they are deciding.

then being travelling and paying with some days delay, they started to apply a 75 fr fee for any delay (even a few days),
finally, due to roaming at the french border, my phone downloaded an automatic application update, that they invoiced more that 550 chf.
This subscription cost me finally more in fees and options than the actual subscription and I decided to cancel my subscription as soon as it was possible.

If I can provide an advice, take any other company but avoid Salt or the bill will be difficult to digest...
Reply With Quote
This user groans at stop for this post:
  #2  
Old 30.01.2017, 16:54
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,704
Groaned at 357 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

You seem like a trustworthy individual without an axe to grind.
Thank you for your helpful and informative post.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 30.01.2017, 16:56
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,015
Groaned at 758 Times in 506 Posts
Thanked 7,164 Times in 3,420 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

I use them and have done for a while with no problems or surprises.

Maybe the "la poste" are taking a cut......
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:06
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,649
Groaned at 106 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,045 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

From a handful of mobile phone providers, one single person on the electric interweb says "don't use provider X"

To be constructive, who do you suggest should we use?

I used Salt for 6 years last time I was here with no problems. And I'm using them again this time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gbn for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: wallis
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Unusual has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Seems a bit naive of you to not pay your bills on time wherever you are (is there an excuse that you were travelling? Where in the world can you not pay an online bill?), and that you aren't paying attention to where your phone is connecting while near a border. I wouldn't blame Salt aside from perhaps their expensive penalty fees.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Unusual for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:24
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Buchs ZH
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 75 Times in 37 Posts
Lyndsay82 is considered knowledgeableLyndsay82 is considered knowledgeableLyndsay82 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

I have never had any problems with Salt.

If you travel often and cannot guarantee you will have access to pay the bill online, you can also use the direct debit option to pay. You do have some time to check the bill to make sure everything is ok before they automatically take the money from your account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lyndsay82 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop has become a little unpopularstop has become a little unpopular
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
Seems a bit naive of you to not pay your bills on time wherever you are (is there an excuse that you were travelling? Where in the world can you not pay an online bill?), and that you aren't paying attention to where your phone is connecting while near a border. I wouldn't blame Salt aside from perhaps their expensive penalty fees.
I'm just comparing with my previous provider (swisscom) : couple of day Delay = 0 fee, Salt 150 % of the actuel invoice. Download of 250 mb, never paid 550 chf with any other provider.

If you call it being naive, i don't have the same definition ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:32
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,478
Groaned at 274 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,035 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
I'm just comparing with my previous provider (swisscom) : couple of day Delay = 0 fee, Salt 150 % of the actuel invoice. Download of 250 mb, never paid 550 chf with any other provider.

If you call it being naive, i don't have the same definition ;-)
Iīd rather advise taking a course in how to use my smart phone....

For example check your apps and stop those from uploading/getting latest version automatically.

Didnīt you mention that you paid late several times? Did they add the 75 CHF already the first time or only after several late payments?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:32
gbn's Avatar
gbn gbn is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 2,649
Groaned at 106 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,045 Posts
gbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond reputegbn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

So, in summary...

- late payment
- no roaming package
- data on while roaming
- unable to understand "update on WiFi only"
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank gbn for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:41
arz arz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Zurich Witikon
Posts: 144
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 104 Times in 67 Posts
arz is considered a nuisancearz is considered a nuisancearz is considered a nuisance
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

While I agree with others telling to be careful with roaming and downloads, I can't understand high penalties on delayed payments. I consider this customer unfriendly, and would avoid such providers, too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank arz for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop has become a little unpopularstop has become a little unpopular
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
So, in summary...

- late payment
- no roaming package
- data on while roaming
- unable to understand "update on WiFi only"
I'm not arguing the fact that a provider will charge roaming or fees. I'm Just saying that some providers will charge "normal" fees and some are crooks.
75 fr for a delay on a 49 fr invoice is a scam in my opinion, but I let the readers make their own opinion, maybe I'm wrong
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:44
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,478
Groaned at 274 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,035 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
While I agree with others telling to be careful with roaming and downloads, I can't understand high penalties on delayed payments. I consider this customer unfriendly, and would avoid such providers, too.
Really? Wait until you have your own business and anyone does that to you. Why should a company have to wait for money for a service provided? Because you canīt be bothered to pay? Because they have enough money already?

Love that attitude.......
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:49
Radulle's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 67
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Radulle has earned some respectRadulle has earned some respect
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

I also use that Salt chf49 Das ABO

I never have fine for paying a bill couple of days later (Happened to me twice during traveling)
I call Germany, UK, USA... very often, and never had any extra costs (I have that countries in my abo like you)
When I traveling they charge me extra for roaming fees, but nothing serious.
I don't use internet out of CH so can't comment on that, but if you like you can change your abo to chf89/month you have 1gb 4g internet out of ch and no roaming fees for calling/texting.

So for chf49/month I got new iphone, calling/texting USA/EU/Switzerland unlimited and 1gb of 4g internet.

Sorry but for me it was a great deal.

p.s. I'm not working for Salt or Post or have any connection with them, I'm just a happy costumer here.

Last edited by Radulle; 30.01.2017 at 17:55. Reason: misstyped some info
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Radulle for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 30.01.2017, 17:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop has become a little unpopularstop has become a little unpopular
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
Really? Wait until you have your own business and anyone does that to you. Why should a company have to wait for money for a service provided? Because you canīt be bothered to pay? Because they have enough money already?

Love that attitude.......
No they can obviuosly charge a fee for a delay, but it has to be fair.

BTW Salt is owned by the French Billionaire Xavier Niel, who explained when he launched Free Mobile in France and the first subscription at 2 euros when the competitors were between 15 and 25 for the same service, that the french were screwed up by these companies. It seems that the business model doesn't apply to the Swiss...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.01.2017, 18:02
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,015
Groaned at 758 Times in 506 Posts
Thanked 7,164 Times in 3,420 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
No they can obviuosly charge a fee for a delay, but it has to be fair.

BTW Salt is owned by the French Billionaire Xavier Niel, who explained when he launched Free Mobile in France and the first subscription at 2 euros when the competitors were between 15 and 25 for the same service, that the french were screwed up by these companies. It seems that the business model doesn't apply to the Swiss...
No, it appears you don't understand the business model
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 30.01.2017, 18:03
pat's Avatar
pat pat is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Basel-ish
Posts: 718
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 808 Times in 341 Posts
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
No they can obviuosly charge a fee for a delay, but it has to be fair.

From the T&Cs (Part 3 of the English version):
https://www.salt.ch/media/filer_publ...es_soho_en.pdf
"Salt may charge you CHF 30.– for each payment reminder notice."

Seems ok to me. Of course ignoring more than one of these, then it will soon add up.

(Just noted how simple, well 1 page of text, the Salt T&Cs are... Wish more Mobile firms were the same..... )
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30.01.2017, 18:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop has become a little unpopularstop has become a little unpopular
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
From the T&Cs (Part 3 of the English version):
https://www.salt.ch/media/filer_publ...es_soho_en.pdf
"Salt may charge you CHF 30.– for each payment reminder notice."

Seems ok to me. Of course ignoring more than one of these, then it will soon add up.

(Just noted how simple, well 1 page of text, the Salt T&Cs are... Wish more Mobile firms were the same..... )
never paid 30 fr... but that recalls me that they charged 10 fr because someone left me a voice mail when I was travelling-> A caller from Switzerland to my Swiss mobile, cost me 10chf just because when the voice mail was recorded, I was abroad... not sure this clause is mentioned on the contract...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at stop for this post:
  #18  
Old 30.01.2017, 18:17
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,478
Groaned at 274 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,035 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
never paid 30 fr... but that recalls me that they charged 10 fr because someone left me a voice mail when I was travelling-> A caller from Switzerland to my Swiss mobile, cost me 10chf just because when the voice mail was recorded, I was abroad... not sure this clause is mentioned on the contract...
Do take that course? Itīs called roaming.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 30.01.2017, 18:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop has become a little unpopularstop has become a little unpopular
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
Do take that course? Itīs called roaming.
Are u sure ;-)
Roaming must only apply when you answer or give a call.
reminder: the caller is in Switzerland, the voicemail severs too, data are off, phone isn't used.
If you accept to pay 10chf in such situation due to "Roaming", that's your right ... BTW Salt accepted to cancel this fee when I asked for explanations (i have to be fair )
Reply With Quote
This user groans at stop for this post:
  #20  
Old 30.01.2017, 18:34
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,453
Groaned at 379 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 17,167 Times in 7,091 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone : Avoid SALT

Quote:
View Post
I took this subscription from la poste called "ABO" with an interesting price at 49 fr per month.
Since then every month I receive additional costs and fees on top of these 49 chf, justified by new rules that they are deciding.

then being travelling and paying with some days delay, they started to apply a 75 fr fee for any delay (even a few days),
finally, due to roaming at the french border, my phone downloaded an automatic application update, that they invoiced more that 550 chf.
This subscription cost me finally more in fees and options than the actual subscription and I decided to cancel my subscription as soon as it was possible.

If I can provide an advice, take any other company but avoid Salt or the bill will be difficult to digest...
Go pay-as-you-go.


You can't spend what you don't have.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
mobile, mobile contracts, salt, scam




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coop (Salt) Mobile User9 Complaints corner 9 27.03.2018 14:06
Salt Mobile World contract English Bloke Daily life 5 08.06.2017 13:27
Strange phone call from Salt lost_inbroad General off-topic 17 22.11.2016 17:05
Mobile SALT subscription (Zurich 8049) Glup1980 Items for sale 15 10.11.2016 10:01
Phone Home for Free using Mobile Phone crazysniper TV/internet/telephone 0 24.05.2010 17:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0