Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 14.01.2019, 15:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 571
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 221 Posts
dbucar has earned the respect of manydbucar has earned the respect of manydbucar has earned the respect of many
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
There seems no logic in this.
Got my bill today for January only. Should have been billed until end of July after the old system.
Can't be a name thing either as that would also put me in the middle of the year.
I just hope they don't send me a paper bill every blooming month. I'm gonna check if they joined ebill, just in case.
Read my post just above yours.

A) You've been billed now for January only because you will get another one for 12 months starting February (and as such for each coming year - or until they change something again ). Forget the "old system".
B) It's random apparently, not according to your surname, PLZ, or color of your hair.
C) Won't be every blooming month, but once per year starting from February (for you).

Again, leaflet attached with the bill explained it.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 14.01.2019, 16:24
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,392
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,760 Times in 6,683 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
Read my post just above yours.

A) You've been billed now for January only because you will get another one for 12 months starting February (and as such for each coming year - or until they change something again ). Forget the "old system".
B) It's random apparently, not according to your surname, PLZ, or color of your hair.
C) Won't be every blooming month, but once per year starting from February (for you).

Again, leaflet attached with the bill explained it.
Ahhh, you read attached leaflets?
You read manuals too, eih?

I put the bill where I can see it next time I log into the bank and the leaflet in the "to read some time"-pile, which usually works like this: Leave it lying around long enough until it's such old news that it can be disposed without needing detailed attention. The good thing about having only one pile of those is the lack of mess in the flat.

I know they will come for their money, so I'm not worried.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 14.01.2019, 16:59
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,147
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 365 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

I telephone and was told if the internet connection was not in my name I do not have to pay the fee as the person with the internet connect already paid a fee.

Not sure if this is bad advice but I can try to write it on the forms they are sending to me.

Anyone hear of this?
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 14.01.2019, 17:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
Ahhh, you read attached leaflets?
You read manuals too, eih?

I put the bill where I can see it next time I log into the bank and the leaflet in the "to read some time"-pile, which usually works like this: Leave it lying around long enough until it's such old news that it can be disposed without needing detailed attention. The good thing about having only one pile of those is the lack of mess in the flat.

I know they will come for their money, so I'm not worried.

Their is also a list of charges for late payment on the leaflet and reminder charges......
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 14.01.2019, 18:04
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,392
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,760 Times in 6,683 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
Their is also a list of charges for late payment on the leaflet and reminder charges......
Yep, that's why <<I put the bill where I can see it next time I log into the bank>>

My reputation is immaculate in that respect.
(Which might be the reason why no reading the added leaflets doesn't make much difference to me )
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 14.01.2019, 18:05
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,760
Groaned at 259 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 17,715 Times in 7,189 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
I telephone and was told if the internet connection was not in my name I do not have to pay the fee as the person with the internet connect already paid a fee.

Not sure if this is bad advice but I can try to write it on the forms they are sending to me.

Anyone hear of this?
It's really simple: there is one charge only from Serafe per household. CHF 365 per year, regardless of the number of people living in the household. If you live in the same household as the person whose internet connection you use, then someone in that household—you, your friend, or somebody else—will be invoiced and has to pay. Whoever is invoiced can try to get the other members of the household to repay him/her their share, if s/he wants.

If nobody in your household has any means to receive TV or radio transmissions (including in the car or while outside), then the household can apply for a temporary exemption from paying the fee. Genuine instances of such exempt households would be few and far between.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #187  
Old 14.01.2019, 18:10
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,760
Groaned at 259 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 17,715 Times in 7,189 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
There seems no logic in this.
Got my bill today for January only. Should have been billed until end of July after the old system.
Can't be a name thing either as that would also put me in the middle of the year.
I just hope they don't send me a paper bill every blooming month. I'm gonna check if they joined ebill, just in case.
But... I gave you a detailed, personalised explanation of exactly how the billing works!!!

Once again: you just got a bill for one month. In future, your bills will arrive annually in February.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #188  
Old 14.01.2019, 18:51
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Empty dwellings and holiday homes are also not charged. And people who live in CH but who are not legally resident don't have to pay either, even if they are the only person living in the dwelling.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 14.01.2019, 21:55
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,392
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,760 Times in 6,683 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
It's really simple: there is one charge only from Serafe per household. CHF 365 per year, regardless of the number of people living in the household. If you live in the same household as the person whose internet connection you use, then someone in that household—you, your friend, or somebody else—will be invoiced and has to pay. Whoever is invoiced can try to get the other members of the household to repay him/her their share, if s/he wants.

If nobody in your household has any means to receive TV or radio transmissions (including in the car or while outside), then the household can apply for a temporary exemption from paying the fee. Genuine instances of such exempt households would be few and far between.
Now that you put that so clearly, that's actually unfair.

Freedom is so darn expensive.
But worth it still.

Quote:
View Post
But... I gave you a detailed, personalised explanation of exactly how the billing works!!!

Once again: you just got a bill for one month. In future, your bills will arrive annually in February.
Yes, dear, I know.
Stay calm, shhhhh, stay calm.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 14.01.2019, 22:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

wow, 10 pages of this crap to explain something so simple !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #191  
Old 14.01.2019, 22:36
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,392
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,760 Times in 6,683 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
wow, 10 pages of this crap to explain something so simple !
Still a µ better than the weather?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #192  
Old 15.01.2019, 01:56
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,760
Groaned at 259 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 17,715 Times in 7,189 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
wow, 10 pages of this crap to explain something so simple !
Did you ever read the "Do I have to pay Billag?" thread? Now that was a simple concept on an endless loop...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #193  
Old 15.01.2019, 07:37
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
Did you ever read the "Do I have to pay Billag?" thread? Now that was a simple concept on an endless loop...
yes which could have been avoided as you simply didn't pay it and nothing happened in the vast majority of cases...

Seems that even the new 'company' dealing with the totally unnecessary billing system for this 'tax' is already in utter chaos:

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtsch...story/16820393
https://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/st...Chaos-26142769
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 15.01.2019, 09:39
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,019
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,004 Times in 413 Posts
ipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputationipoddle has an excellent reputation
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

I got a bill for January - 30chfs - I've used that to set up a standing order.. for the same amount each month.. Of course that's going to be just a few franks less for some months, so they'll have to send me a 'settlement' amount at some point.

Let the gods of chaos reign !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ipoddle for this useful post:
  #195  
Old 15.01.2019, 10:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,997
Groaned at 336 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 10,352 Times in 5,464 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
Seems that even the new 'company' dealing with the totally unnecessary billing system for this 'tax' is already in utter chaos:

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtsch...story/16820393
https://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/st...Chaos-26142769
Actually an error ratio of one in ten thousand, or even less, is extremely low.

However, it can't be the recipient's problem to correct the address data, that is Serafe's problem.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 15.01.2019, 11:23
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,072
Groaned at 91 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 18,378 Times in 8,173 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
Seems that even the new 'company' dealing with the totally unnecessary billing system for this 'tax' is already in utter chaos:

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtsch...story/16820393
https://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/st...Chaos-26142769
If actually read the article and not just the headline you would see that the utterly chaos is in the communes databases.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #197  
Old 15.01.2019, 13:20
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
If actually read the article and not just the headline you would see that the utterly chaos is in the communes databases.
Fully aware that the problem originated in the town halls' data, as I did read the complete article. The invoices are wrong though and will have to be corrected as well.
Of course the errors are going to be a plus for some people as they may never receive a bill if for some reason they have been included on someone else's who doesn't know/notice it. Pathetic really that correct data can't even be produced by town halls.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #198  
Old 15.01.2019, 14:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 935
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 536 Times in 326 Posts
ChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

At least on my first bill they advertised that, should I want my bill by email in the future, I should

Quote:
send an email to info@serafe.ch RE: "Rechnungsstellung per E-Mail"
No further details, and it's most specifically NOT a form on their website which should be used, but "just" said email.

Now I´m not an extreme expert in the field, just rather experienced. I´m not guessing, I know that sending this message to 3.7m households will cause organisational havoc.

Who comes up with something like that? Let's see how that goes
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 15.01.2019, 16:01
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,750
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 300 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Seems the only problem is with apartment blocks (from what I have read). This obviously stems from the fact that in the majority (if not all) of cases, apartments are not numbered, which is something that is common in many other countries. So the address is the name plus the block (street and number).

Not sure why people are complaining, surely they can simply go to the neighbour and split the bill :-) and Serafe would be non the wiser.

Unfortunately we live in an individual family house, therefore no issue.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 15.01.2019, 20:51
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,392
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,760 Times in 6,683 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
If actually read the article and not just the headline you would see that the utterly chaos is in the communes databases.
Hmmm, next we read will be some guy moved out of the house and is summoned to pay alimony for the neighbour's kids, as the single mother was registered as his wife all the while?

Considering we have to report if we even move two houses down the same street, this is rather strange. Not too bad it came out now though, chance to get it right .... until everybody moves house again. LOL.

I do wonder how tax issues were handled in these cases?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fee, fernsehabgabe, serafe, tax, tv and radio




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drivers Licence address change: do I need to send in my old credit card licence? Auburn Transportation/driving 9 08.10.2019 09:03
Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag? fundoovish TV/internet/telephone 1663 06.06.2019 13:41
Billag Radio Licence refund Cider Woman TV/internet/telephone 19 23.07.2015 12:22
Australian's licence to Swiss driving licence. Piyanee Transportation/driving 10 18.03.2014 17:30
Q:Handed in my QLD Australian licence to get Swiss Licence bravoawan Transportation/driving 5 15.02.2014 00:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0