Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 15.12.2017, 11:39
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

If you leave the internet box in your wiring cupboard then you can connect the TV box direct from living room to a free lan port on the internet box!The access Point can go in some other roomQUOTE=expathere;2886181]Yeah that would be an option. I see some workarounds in the end:

-Bring the fiber optic to the living room (effort and costs)
-Set an additional switch in the wiring cupboard to distribute the internet from the LAN coming from the living room to the other rooms)

Is not the perfect setup, but good enough. I have to consider it twice, as I have the 3 months notice period with my current provider, therefore I will have to wait till March or so, when Swisscom won't have the 1 year TV for free offer anymore

Other option will be, the setup that another guy suggested above:
-Internet Box in the wiring cupboard: internet in all rooms
-Wifi router connected to a socket in the most convenient room: good wifi at home
-TV Box connected to the living room socket

PROS: No additional setup, no extra costs/effort (as I already have the wifi router)
CONS: TV-Box not connected directly to the internet box, via switch instead (theoretically works). Lack of Wifi via the swisscom internet box[/QUOTE]
__________________
This user would like to thank Omtatsat for this useful post:

President Donald Trump, Boris Johnson
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 15.12.2017, 11:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 52
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
expathere has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Good one, passing over the switch, right?

Quote:
View Post
If you leave the internet box in your wiring cupboard then you can connect the TV box direct from living room to a free lan port on the internet box!The access Point can go in some other roomQUOTE=expathere;2886181]Yeah that would be an option. I see some workarounds in the end:

-Bring the fiber optic to the living room (effort and costs)
-Set an additional switch in the wiring cupboard to distribute the internet from the LAN coming from the living room to the other rooms)

Is not the perfect setup, but good enough. I have to consider it twice, as I have the 3 months notice period with my current provider, therefore I will have to wait till March or so, when Swisscom won't have the 1 year TV for free offer anymore

Other option will be, the setup that another guy suggested above:
-Internet Box in the wiring cupboard: internet in all rooms
-Wifi router connected to a socket in the most convenient room: good wifi at home
-TV Box connected to the living room socket

PROS: No additional setup, no extra costs/effort (as I already have the wifi router)
CONS: TV-Box not connected directly to the internet box, via switch instead (theoretically works). Lack of Wifi via the swisscom internet box
[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 15.12.2017, 12:40
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,278
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
cons: Tv-box not connected directly to the internet box, via switch instead (theoretically works). Lack of wifi via the swisscom internet box
Not theoretically, it does work.
The Internet box in the cellar still provides sufficient wifi to the entire basement. It's maybe not full signal due to concrete walls etc, but it's fine for phones, tablets etc. My PC, PS4, TV, and printer in the basement office are all wired to the LAN via a switch.

"Another guy"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 15.12.2017, 12:41
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Right. Don't forget to cancel your UPC connection fees of 36.90 a month. With Swisscom you won't be needing the UPC connection
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 15.12.2017, 12:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 52
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
expathere has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Thanks PaddyG

Quote:
View Post
"Another guy"
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 15.12.2017, 14:16
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Why connect TV box over a switch when one does not have to.
Quote:
View Post
Not theoretically, it does work.
The Internet box in the cellar still provides sufficient wifi to the entire basement. It's maybe not full signal due to concrete walls etc, but it's fine for phones, tablets etc. My PC, PS4, TV, and printer in the basement office are all wired to the LAN via a switch.

"Another guy"
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 15.12.2017, 14:32
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,278
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
Why connect TV box over a switch when one does not have to.
Why run another cable when one does not have to?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 15.12.2017, 14:36
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Yes. Why run another cable when one MIGHT not have to?
Quote:
View Post
Why run another cable when one does not have to?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 15.12.2017, 14:39
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,278
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Why run another cable when one MIGHT not have to?
Because it works perfectly fine over the switch. Why are you confusing the issue?
Given the set-up I described above, what would YOU do differently which didn't involve drilling more holes or pulling more cables?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 15.12.2017, 14:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 52
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
expathere has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Hey guys, both approaches will work: Is possible to go straight to the internet box skipping the switch too (less exchange, right?). Will do that if the wire length in the distribution box permits

Quote:
View Post
Because it works perfectly fine over the switch. Why are you confusing the issue?
Given the set-up I described above, what would YOU do differently which didn't involve drilling more holes or pulling more cables?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:14
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Well his setup is different to yours. He has all his LAN cables for his rooms and Fibre optic connection in his wiring cupboard. The internet box has 4 free LAN ports so unless he needs more than 4 ports ( and most likely he does as he has 5 LAN cables in the pic ) then he can connect everything direct to the Internet Box. He does not even need a switch in this case. And yes TV does work over a switch.But in the Swisscom forum there are many posts dealing with the problems of Swisscom TV and switches.
Quote:
View Post
Because it works perfectly fine over the switch. Why are you confusing the issue?
Given the set-up I described above, what would YOU do differently which didn't involve drilling more holes or pulling more cables?
__________________
This user would like to thank Omtatsat for this useful post:

President Donald Trump, Boris Johnson

Last edited by omtatsat; 15.12.2017 at 16:01.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:22
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,481
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
Hey guys, both approaches will work: Is possible to go straight to the internet box skipping the switch too (less exchange, right?). Will do that if the wire length in the distribution box permits
You can use one of the Ethernet ports on the internet box to go straight to the TV box, and another one to feed the switch. Or you can connect the TV box to the switch.

Your TVbox will work fine either way, unless it's a faulty or incredibly old switch.

Conrad has (or had) short patch cables, 60cm long.

Wlan might not be fantastic with the internet box in the (steel) box, but it's usually not so bad.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:27
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Who wants WLAN anyhow. It's criminal to use WLAN especially if you have small children in the house!
Quote:
View Post
You can use one of the Ethernet ports on the internet box to go straight to the TV box, and another one to feed the switch. Or you can connect the TV box to the switch.

Your TVbox will work fine either way, unless it's a faulty or incredibly old switch.

Conrad has (or had) short patch cables, 60cm long.

Wlan might not be fantastic with the internet box in the (steel) box, but it's usually not so bad.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:29
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,481
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
Who wants WLAN anyhow. It's criminal to use WLAN especially if you have small children in the house!
Right. And you can persuade your neighbours to switch their WLAN off too.

(And I thought I had issues.)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:34
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

What the neighbours do is their business. But I can at least choose to have or have no WLAN in my apartment.
Quote:
View Post
Right. And you can persuade your neighbours to switch their WLAN off too.

(And I thought I had issues.)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:44
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,481
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
What the neighbours do is their business. But I can at least choose to have or have no WLAN in my apartment.
Sort of. What you can't choose is to not have their WLAN. I guess you could find a barium putz (or tinfoil) to cover the walls, ceilings and floors.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15.12.2017, 15:46
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Some people in Switzerland actually live a real house separated by land from the other.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 15.12.2017, 16:40
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

You might also consider getting a plastic WLAN door for your wiring cupboard if you are intent on WLAN


https://www.homeway.de/system/homeway-zentrale/
Quote:
View Post
Hey guys, both approaches will work: Is possible to go straight to the internet box skipping the switch too (less exchange, right?). Will do that if the wire length in the distribution box permits
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 15.12.2017, 18:27
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,962
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,051 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Quote:
View Post
What if you just leave the internet box where the fibre connection is,
- switch off the wifi but connect it via LAN to all the LAN connections you have
- and from one of the LAN connections in one of your rooms (preferably the most centrally located one), connect to a wifi router for your wifi. A wifi router can be had for less than Fr.100.
This is basically what I do.

hey.. and I thought I was "another guy"

I have an airport express (apples official name for it's router) in my living room. The TV box connected to the airport express by ethernet. The airport express connected to my wall by ethernet. This goes to he cupboard below with my "server cupboard" which has a switch. Switch with ethernet to my internet box. I use the airport express to create a wifi network and leave the swisscom internet box wifi switched off.

Although that seems complicated, it's not actually. I get no glitches with my TV at all. No drilling required.
__________________
krlock3.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 16.12.2017, 09:12
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,200
Groaned at 1,551 Times in 845 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 2,297 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Swisscom TV and Internet with Fibre Optic

Well taking the free Swisscom TV L package (inOne) you would be saving in a year 420 CHF. Which is probably the amount that you give out to another provider in 3 months ( notice ) for a 3 in 1 offer. So in theory you are getting this money back if one takes Swisscom.As a new customer they give you 4 UHD boxes free! Which you can later sell. The going price is 119 CHF for a UHD box= 476CHF theoretically


https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/audio-...v/an954475326/

To pay 2 Abos at once in the first 3 months is a bit extreme but one gets the half of it back anyhow.

https://natelprofi.ch/2017/12/05/pro...-tv-geschenkt/

Quote:
View Post
Yeah that would be an option. I see some workarounds in the end:

-Bring the fiber optic to the living room (effort and costs)
-Set an additional switch in the wiring cupboard to distribute the internet from the LAN coming from the living room to the other rooms)

Is not the perfect setup, but good enough. I have to consider it twice, as I have the 3 months notice period with my current provider, therefore I will have to wait till March or so, when Swisscom won't have the 1 year TV for free offer anymore

Other option will be, the setup that another guy suggested above:
-Internet Box in the wiring cupboard: internet in all rooms
-Wifi router connected to a socket in the most convenient room: good wifi at home
-TV Box connected to the living room socket

PROS: No additional setup, no extra costs/effort (as I already have the wifi router)
CONS: TV-Box not connected directly to the internet box, via switch instead (theoretically works). Lack of Wifi via the swisscom internet box
__________________
This user would like to thank Omtatsat for this useful post:

President Donald Trump, Boris Johnson

Last edited by omtatsat; 16.12.2017 at 11:24.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
box, fibre, internet-box, swisscom, tv-box




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Green.ch for fibre-optic provider tormund TV/internet/telephone 0 13.05.2015 10:31
Swisscom TV and internet together mecita TV/internet/telephone 2 05.12.2014 19:35
Swisscom Fibre Optic DFH TV/internet/telephone 9 04.09.2013 13:17
FTTH - FLASH Line (Fibre Optic Connection) chrisIDS TV/internet/telephone 1 28.08.2012 12:03
Fibre optic LNBs the future? szhjcn TV/internet/telephone 0 15.08.2008 09:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0