Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.01.2018, 23:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Grand Saconnex
Posts: 13
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
jaguarj has no particular reputation at present
Netflix?

Anybody can recommend Netflix? If we sign up in Switzerland, do we get to see content in English / subtitled?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at jaguarj for this post:
  #2  
Old 09.01.2018, 23:53
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 153
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 140 Times in 72 Posts
erchegyia has slipped a little
Re: Netflix?

Yes & yes. Why don't you try the trial month?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.01.2018, 09:28
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,339
Groaned at 354 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 12,282 Times in 4,208 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Netflix content varies from country to country. 99% of Swiss Netflix is in original English - mainly US.

If you can sign up in another country you will save on the high Swiss subscription rate. Search Netflix on here for more info...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.01.2018, 10:36
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,609
Groaned at 120 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 16,808 Times in 5,339 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

As AbFab noted, the content does vary from country to country. Programs like Peep Show for example pop up when I'm in the UK but disappear from the Netflix library when I return home to Switzerland.

I thought downloading them to my iPad whilst in the UK would allow me to watch them here but it doesn't work. As soon as you try and play them you get an error message to say its not licensed in this country (unless of course you keep your iPad in flight mode so it doesn't know where it is )
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.01.2018, 11:03
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,339
Groaned at 354 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 12,282 Times in 4,208 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
As AbFab noted, the content does vary from country to country. Programs like Peep Show for example pop up when I'm in the UK but disappear from the Netflix library when I return home to Switzerland.

I thought downloading them to my iPad whilst in the UK would allow me to watch them here but it doesn't work. As soon as you try and play them you get an error message to say its not licensed in this country (unless of course you keep your iPad in flight mode so it doesn't know where it is )
Yes, I discovered this when I downloaded a couple of films for flights to and from the UK. I was 3/4 way through the first one and I thought I'd watch the rest going back. I was unavailable until I was back in Switzerland. Now I use flight/airplane mode to preserve downloaded content...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.01.2018, 11:30
Stew's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 90
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Stew is considered knowledgeableStew is considered knowledgeableStew is considered knowledgeable
Re: Netflix?

Interesting, I've been trying to find out what Netflix CH offers but can't find a list.

Based on your experience Castro & Abfab, it seems like you can subscribe to Netflix in any country but the accessible content is determined by which country Netflix thinks you are in at the time?

e.g. if I had a US subscription but accessed Netflix in CH, I just see CH content. Or if I had a CH subscription but was physically or "virtually" traveling to the US, I could see US content...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.01.2018, 11:47
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,333
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
Based on your experience Castro & Abfab, it seems like you can subscribe to Netflix in any country but the accessible content is determined by which country Netflix thinks you are in at the time?

e.g. if I had a US subscription but accessed Netflix in CH, I just see CH content. Or if I had a CH subscription but was physically or "virtually" traveling to the US, I could see US content...
Correct. I've used it in several countries and always get respective local content based on my Swiss subscription.

It used to be possible to access US Netflix via VPN even if in Switzerland. It seems to have been blocked a while ago or at least I would yet to have to find a provider that still works.

What Netflix offers in Switzerland is okay, but obviously nowhere near as extensive as in the US. It's slooowly getting better though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 10.01.2018, 11:48
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winti
Posts: 1,919
Groaned at 57 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,179 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
As AbFab noted, the content does vary from country to country. Programs like Peep Show for example pop up when I'm in the UK but disappear from the Netflix library when I return home to Switzerland.

I thought downloading them to my iPad whilst in the UK would allow me to watch them here but it doesn't work. As soon as you try and play them you get an error message to say its not licensed in this country (unless of course you keep your iPad in flight mode so it doesn't know where it is )
This is exactly what happened to me, Peep Show!.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.05.2019, 09:21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
BrendanH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I discovered this when I downloaded a couple of films for flights to and from the UK. I was 3/4 way through the first one and I thought I'd watch the rest going back. I was unavailable until I was back in Switzerland. Now I use flight/airplane mode to preserve downloaded content...
I was enjoying watching 'The Americans' on Netflix on my Kindle when in Zurich and looked forward to watching the rest of the series on my return to London but not only is it not available here in London but there is no record of my ever having watched it. I thought I was going mad or must have dreamt it all until I read the above post.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.05.2019, 11:01
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,031
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,384 Times in 552 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

I'm on my 2nd go of Netflix. I gave up on the 1st go when I couldn't get the latest House of Cards Series (A Netflix series!) months after it was released!

I'm actually really enjoying it on my 2nd go for the following reasons:

There is a lot of really great Netflix produced content, both movies, series and documentaries. (Dirty Money, which is a fantastic documentary series. Birdbox, Icarus, another fascinating documentary. Sour Grapes, probably the best wine documentary I have seen. Actually we should start a Netflix recommendation thread!)

The platform is much improved and finding stuff, plus the recommendations, based on your usage is pretty great.

There is still a lot of stuff not on there, but for my needs and based on the cost (I think I pay CHF16/month for the middle subscription) it's perfect.

You can also cancel anytime, so not much risk.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.05.2019, 11:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,486 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Amma tad dissapointed with Netflix, I humbly admit that I got it to watch Startrek Discovery (which was briliant in my opinion) but apart from one or two other mildly interesting series and movies, I can´t say that it moves my world.
Most series that I was following via some of the Internets more flexible websites... (don´t Judge, we have all been there) on Malta are not available or only one or two Seasons.
The Orville... Not going to happen.
GOT... ditto
Vikings... yawn.
Das Boot, the new one.. nope!
Got a load of Content, some intresting documentaries mind you, but I am watching in Germany so it´s mainly shallow and politically correct US and UK crap. I´d rather watch cat-videos on YouTube.
Some of the Korean stuff is interesting for one or two episodes but then they start to get silly. The same with some Chinese Content. Wandering Earth was a great promise but it was painfull to watch to the bitter end.
__________________
Back in Bavaria, god´s own belly button.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.05.2019, 11:45
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
Amma tad dissapointed with Netflix, I humbly admit that I got it to watch Startrek Discovery (which was briliant in my opinion) but apart from one or two other mildly interesting series and movies, I can´t say that it moves my world.
Most series that I was following via some of the Internets more flexible websites... (don´t Judge, we have all been there) on Malta are not available or only one or two Seasons.
The Orville... Not going to happen.
GOT... ditto
Vikings... yawn.
Das Boot, the new one.. nope!
Got a load of Content, some intresting documentaries mind you, but I am watching in Germany so it´s mainly shallow and politically correct US and UK crap. I´d rather watch cat-videos on YouTube.
Some of the Korean stuff is interesting for one or two episodes but then they start to get silly. The same with some Chinese Content. Wandering Earth was a great promise but it was painfull to watch to the bitter end.
Literally all the shows you’ve just mentioned are in Sky.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.05.2019, 11:57
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,486 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
Literally all the shows you’ve just mentioned are in Sky.
I know, that is what is annoyning me, I urinated up the wrong tree.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.05.2019, 13:27
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

I find "Netflix Original" content extremely unpredictable. Umbrella Academy, Titans, and Stranger Things, for example, are excellent shows, whereas some stuff I've been "recommended" are utter dross (The Order, Santa Clarita Diet anyone?).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.05.2019, 13:42
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,671
Groaned at 237 Times in 208 Posts
Thanked 20,088 Times in 8,161 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

We watch mainly Netflix nowadays. I find most of the original content rather gratuitously rude/sexual/violent for my taste, though Black Earth Rising was very good (shown on the BBC first), as was A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Content has definitely improved tremendously over the last couple of years. As has the share price.

So far we've not run out of things to watch.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 22.05.2019, 14:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,125
Groaned at 343 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 5,765 Times in 2,643 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

As far as I know, streaming from sites like https://www.moviesjoy.net/ is not illegal in CH
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.05.2019, 15:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
I find "Netflix Original" content extremely unpredictable. Umbrella Academy, Titans, and Stranger Things, for example, are excellent shows, whereas some stuff I've been "recommended" are utter dross (The Order, Santa Clarita Diet anyone?).
Netflix is producing/buying enormous amounts of content, and it shows. They have some great shows, but if you look at the whole list one can only conclude that a lot is simply cheap rubbish.

Also I find that a lot of the documentary's start of great, but after 1 or 2 episodes already have become rubbish. "One strange rock" for example, and who on earth thought it be a good idea to have Will Smith and his dumb jokes host such documentary.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22.05.2019, 15:11
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,486 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know, streaming from sites like https://www.moviesjoy.net/ is not illegal in CH
Looks good, but it would seem that here in D it is pretty much Verboten
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22.05.2019, 15:17
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,339
Groaned at 354 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 12,282 Times in 4,208 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Pulled out from among the NETFLIX dross:

Ricky Gervais - After Life series
Ricky Gervais - Special Correspondents - film
Michael Douglas - The Kominsky Method - series
Always worth watching again and again - The IT Crowd - series
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.05.2019, 16:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,486 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Netflix?

Quote:
View Post
Pulled out from among the NETFLIX dross:

Ricky Gervais - After Life series
Ricky Gervais - Special Correspondents - film
Michael Douglas - The Kominsky Method - series
Always worth watching again and again - The IT Crowd - series
1, tried it got bored with it.
2. same here
facit: Don´t like Ricky Gervais
3. will take a look.
4. I live the IT crowd, don´t have to watch it.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netflix limited options Sandeepm1980 TV/internet/telephone 7 16.11.2016 10:08
Netflix.ch Papa Goose TV/internet/telephone 32 15.09.2016 08:19
Samsung Netflix App njusta83 TV/internet/telephone 2 31.12.2015 10:58
Netflix - Lovefilm kokopolka TV/internet/telephone 31 30.08.2012 13:18
Netflix equivalent? glennsche TV/internet/telephone 10 07.05.2010 07:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0