Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 22.07.2019, 13:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,814
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,088 Times in 3,854 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt Fiber Box

We just set up our salt fiber over the weekend. Haven’t run any speed tests but it seems to work well, and work faster than our Swisscom. It was really easy to do, too.

We have a long apartment - four bedrooms past the living room, all concrete walls (typical brutalist rectangle). I kept the repeater we used for Swisscom, and it seems to work well - iPads and iPhones connect to the network in the farthest bedroom.

We have to get used to the new TV interface and figure out/customize the Apple TV remote. Right now i’m Using a combination of Apple TV/tv remote and it is a bit clumsy.

One feature that I really like is that I set up the tv account so it defaults to English. If there is an English track, it plays.

I also have to link our new sky account to the salt account....thatseems a bit weird.

All in all, it seems like a good choice, plus we save a bunch of money.
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 22.07.2019, 20:34
dox dox is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CH
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
dox has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
One feature that I really like is that I set up the tv account so it defaults to English. If there is an English track, it plays.

I also have to link our new sky account to the salt account....thatseems a bit weird.
Does Sky (Sports in particular) offer English-language commentary for events?
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 22.07.2019, 22:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,814
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,088 Times in 3,854 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
Does Sky (Sports in particular) offer English-language commentary for events?
I don’t know. I subscribe only to sky show. If the original broadcast language is English, and if the Program carries dual language tracks, then you get English. For sports, I imagine English commentary might be available only if the original broadcast is in English.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 12.08.2019, 08:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sladen has no particular reputation at present
My recordings have disappeared.

We returned from vacation and now all my recordings are gone.

Anybody know what to do?
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 12.08.2019, 16:26
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 1,667
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 446 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
My recordings have disappeared.

We returned from vacation and now all my recordings are gone.

Anybody know what to do?
Call up Salt support. Or, if you know the staff at your local Salt store and think they'd be better than somebody in the call centre, drop in to speak to them.
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 23.08.2019, 15:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sladen has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
Call up Salt support. Or, if you know the staff at your local Salt store and think they'd be better than somebody in the call centre, drop in to speak to them.
I did call them. Salt support has been able to fix things before. Some things they just did not have knowledge of. This time I received an email two days after making the call, saying :

"Due to a configuration of the platform your registrations were deleted. However, they should be visible and available again next week.
If you still cannot see your registrations by the end of next week, please contact us."

So here we are almost two weeks later and still no recordings. This used to happen with UPC (when a machine died and I lost my recordings).

So, UPC level performance, then...

I have phoned customer service and they re-opened the ticket, which had been closed for some odd reason. I had received no further correspondence.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sladen for this useful post:
  #527  
Old 23.08.2019, 17:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
CHnuschti has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
My recordings have disappeared.

Can confirm this, recordings which disappeard. Did look into yesterday. However, for me, not all are gone, just some 20 or so.
Interestingly, in the list it is still written 64/500 used, while only 40 are indeed present.
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 23.08.2019, 17:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sladen has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

In my case it just says 0/500.

I've held off recording anything new while they fix the problem. Perhaps I shouldn't bother, though...
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 29.08.2019, 16:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sladen has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

So this arrived today:

"You have reported us that your recordings are still not visible.
Can you tell us if this is still the case?
If so we would like you to go on our website https://tv.salt.ch/login, try to log yourself in and check if you can see your recordings via Webbrowser. "

I confirmed that both the Apple TV and the website online showed no recordings.

Then they sent this hours later:

"We thank you for your quick feedback.
Your TV issue has been transferred to the department in charge which will have a look at this.
We will inform you as soon as we have more informations and a solution was found for this."

So pretty much what they should have done in the first place. I have not recorded anything new since I noticed the problem.

Let's hope they don't just give up on the second try as well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sladen for this useful post:
  #530  
Old 05.09.2019, 10:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shortyhouse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone had a such terrible experience with Salt.

I received my Salt Fiber account activation email last Tuesday morning and until now (more than 48h later), it still doesn't work. The Fiber LED has never turned on. We did all the tests, reset router, disconnect/reconnect cables, changed fiber cable and nothing.
When I call them and constantly tell me to wait... it takes time. They have an awful customer service without precise answers and cannot tell me what can be wrong.
With 10+ years of experience with fiber in different countries, this is by far the worst one I ever had. For now, I can't really recommend Salt to any of my worst enemies...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at shortyhouse for this post:
  #531  
Old 05.09.2019, 19:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: zurich
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Skrelz has become a little unpopularSkrelz has become a little unpopular
Re: Salt Fiber Box

I have the opposite experience. I have had two activations, one at my old house and one in the new house, and both went perfectly. When I rang up to tell them I was moving they couldn't have been more helpful. The customer service lady who helped me was an absolute pleasure to deal with.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Skrelz for this useful post:
  #532  
Old 05.09.2019, 20:39
fatih.erol's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 368
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 183 Times in 99 Posts
fatih.erol has made some interesting contributions
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone had a such terrible experience with Salt.

I received my Salt Fiber account activation email last Tuesday morning and until now (more than 48h later), it still doesn't work. The Fiber LED has never turned on. We did all the tests, reset router, disconnect/reconnect cables, changed fiber cable and nothing.
When I call them and constantly tell me to wait... it takes time. They have an awful customer service without precise answers and cannot tell me what can be wrong.
With 10+ years of experience with fiber in different countries, this is by far the worst one I ever had. For now, I can't really recommend Salt to any of my worst enemies...

i am guessing, it is connected to the correct port, right? for mine, port 2 was open from previous owner, so, i connected there. and it did not work. then after checking the activation email, and the salt box manual, i switched to port 1, an it worked fine. different ports in different parts of ch.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 06.09.2019, 08:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shortyhouse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
i am guessing, it is connected to the correct port, right? for mine, port 2 was open from previous owner, so, i connected there. and it did not work. then after checking the activation email, and the salt box manual, i switched to port 1, an it worked fine. different ports in different parts of ch.
Yes it is on port 2 as it was specified in the activation email and like with my previous provider.
Despite that and just to make sure, I also tried with port 1 and still doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 06.09.2019, 22:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
CHnuschti has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
such terrible experience with Salt.

more than 48h later), it still doesn't work.



With 10+ years of experience with fiber in different countries, this is by far the worst one I ever had. For now, I can't really recommend Salt to any of my worst enemies...
Guess this must be first world problems, if 48 hrs delay for an internet line is a such "terrible", "dramatic" experience.

Instead of changing cables etc. you should reboot the salt fiber box regularly, this is what will trigger the activation (if set so), I guess, while trying alternatively port 1 and 2, I wouldn't bet that they told it you right.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 06.09.2019, 23:28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shortyhouse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
Guess this must be first world problems, if 48 hrs delay for an internet line is a such "terrible", "dramatic" experience.

Instead of changing cables etc. you should reboot the salt fiber box regularly, this is what will trigger the activation (if set so), I guess, while trying alternatively port 1 and 2, I wouldn't bet that they told it you right.
Tried both possible ports for me (1 or 2) and rebooted, reseted and hard reseted at least twice a day at least.
I will have a technicien coming to my place next Monday, but I start thinking they sold me the Fiber when they don't have coverage in my area...
And btw, apparently Salt don't have their own technicians and will send a Swisscom one with who they partner...
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 07.09.2019, 09:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sladen has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salt Fiber Box

Quote:
View Post
I will have a technicien coming to my place next Monday, but I start thinking they sold me the Fiber when they don't have coverage in my area...
And btw, apparently Salt don't have their own technicians and will send a Swisscom one with who they partner...
My tech was from EWZ. I had switched cables and rebooted like I had never rebooted before. He sorted it all out, though. They'll fix it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sladen for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
fiber, internet, salt, salt mobile, upc




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glass fiber internet dpacassi TV/internet/telephone 11 23.01.2018 14:57
[ZH] Internet plug and play! AVM FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE with Salt Internet maxiii Items for sale 2 28.04.2017 18:33
Swisscom internet box fiber cable Dest.Swiss TV/internet/telephone 4 14.05.2014 05:42
Fiber Optics tapazoh TV/internet/telephone 2 23.11.2010 12:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0