English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   Salt Fiber Box (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/281274-salt-fiber-box.html)

pfirsichaehnlich 10.03.2020 07:00

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
still can't edit, annoying....

here is the chart i wanted to share
https://www.englishforum.ch/attachme...1&d=1583819954

jhuerta 25.03.2020 22:39

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Hi,

I'm about to get one of those Salt Fiber Box.

In the entrance of my apartment there is the electrical box where I can find the fiber plugs and the switches to turn off the different electrical lines of the house.

I guess I need to insert/stick/glue the salt box inside there. There is a metallic net to screw the box, outlets and the fiber connectors.

I can imagine these sort of electrical boxes are standards, but still, the space seems tight for the Salt box.

My questions are:

1) What are the dimensions of the Salt box?
2) Is it supposed to let the box inside that metallic box?
3) Isn't the wifi that comes out of Salt Box greatly affected by the metallic door and the metallic box in general?

Thanks.

CHnuschti 25.03.2020 22:50

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhuerta (Post 3163410)
Hi,
1) What are the dimensions of the Salt box?
2) Is it supposed to let the box inside that metallic box?
3) Isn't the wifi that comes out of Salt Box greatly affected by the metallic door and the metallic box in general?


1) 245x245x52/65 millimeter WxLxH Height is variable 52 or 65 millimeter as there is one removable part that is used to hang it on a wall
2) I guess yes. Put in the open room (core?) temp is around 55-60 °C according to the menu. I don't think that anything lower than 80 °C (or probably more) will affect the function of the box
3) Probably it will be affected. As there were some statements also here that the Wifi of the box isn't that good / far reaching. You could attach an own WLAN box more far outside , it is a really cheap gadget nowadays.

franbasi 08.04.2020 16:15

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Salt fiber, fixed telephone, and TV review

I took a leap of faith in spite of the multitude of bad reviews. The reviews were so bad that I thought they must be "seeded" reviews by the competition.

My installation was a disaster. Nothing worked. Support told me all they could do was write up a ticket and I'd have to wait for a response.
Well, while I was waiting, I thought why not try plugging the fiber cable, (that is supposed to go in port #2 for Geneva), into port #1. (which is supposed to be for Central Switzerland). Well, it worked, although with unusual results; Upload speed is 3 times more than Download speeds. I'm getting an average of 250GB download and 700GB Upload.

Anyway, I have gigabyte speeds. Apple TV works, (although very difficult for me to get used to the piece of shit remote control). Fixed Telephone works great. In fact almost immediately I got my old telephone number back online, (Salt said it might take 20 days). It is important to note that the problem with fiber ports #1 and #2 has nothing to do with Salt. That could only have been the fault of the fiber cable installation in my apartment wall, probably by an independent electrician in Geneva during the construction of this apartment building not too long ago.

Previously I have used UPC Cablecom and I had a lot of exchanges with their support. I can honestly say Salt is no worse - no better. So, for gigabyte speeds, fixed ("free calls in Switzerland") telephone - and TV, all for 49 francs. I'm satisfied.

PitBull 08.04.2020 16:41

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by franbasi (Post 3169010)
Apple TV works, (although very difficult for me to get used to the piece of shit remote control)

If you have an iPhone/iPad (not sure if it's available on Android) there is an Apple Remote app - I think the functionality is exactly the same, but the form factor of you mobile phone plus a full touchscreen for control makes it a whole lot better to use.

kawasaki 12.04.2020 23:11

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Hope this helps people looking to order Salt Fiber. After I installed the new box, and did all the right things, Salt wrote back this email. Moral of the story - you get what you pay for. It was too good to be true for 49 chfs.

Thank you for contacting Salt Fiber,

In response to your request regarding connection speed, here is a non-exhaustive list of parameters to be controlled in order to optimize the speed of the fiber optic signal;

For your Fiber Box:

- As a reminder, only one Ethernet port of the Fiber Box gives a signal up to 10Gb/s.
(the other 4 Ethernet ports of the Fiber Box are 1Gb/s ports)
-Only 10Gb/s compatible Ethernet cables can be used to get close to this speed.

For your computer :

- A recent 10Gb/s compatible motherboard
- A fast processor
- A network card supporting 10Gb/s incoming and outgoing data rate
- All drivers and operating systems must be updated with the latest versions available.
- No Firewall / Antivirus (currently none of these programs can handle 10Gb/s traffic)
- No unnecessary programs or services consuming RAM, CPU or HDD resources.

About Wi-Fi speed :

-2.4GHz network > from 20MBit/s to 120MBit/s max / average ~ 50MBit/s
-5GHz network > 80MBit/s to 990MBit/s max / medium ~ 300MBit/s

Please note that the speed of Wi-Fi is never constant, it can be irregular, which is often influenced by the following points:

-Software (antivirus, firewall, adblock, other tools)
-Hardware (wrong device configuration, updates must be installed)
-Other (thick walls, microwave, electronic devices, confined room)

We did some tests on your Fiber Box and were able to measure a good LAN speed: this means that the fiber signal reaches the router correctly. The only way to improve the speed is to check the settings of your devices and your installation.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards
Salt Fiber

BostonToZurich 12.04.2020 23:21

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kawasaki (Post 3170764)
Moral of the story - you get what you pay for. It was too good to be true for 49 chfs.

I'm sorry, but what about this is "too good be true"?

They offer you 10gb/s. Now, I don't have a 10GE device in my home either, but I can pull about 650Mbs with my wifi, my AppleTV is pulling in 4K streaming directly connected, and my office VPN is directly connected serving up HD video calls.

I also get Internet TV via the Salt App.

So, please - what about this is too good to be true? If you don't understand that you can't do 10Gb Wifi or you need a 10GE adapter, then that's on you...

I will continue to say the Salt offer is AMAZING!! Now, I haven't had to request help, or tech support - but I hear that is where you can fault them. Not on delivering 10Gb internet to your house for 50 francs... this is the ONLY thing in Switzerland that I think is cheap!

EdwinNL 13.04.2020 00:39

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kawasaki (Post 3170764)
Hope this helps people looking to order Salt Fiber. After I installed the new box, and did all the right things, Salt wrote back this email. Moral of the story - you get what you pay for. It was too good to be true for 49 chfs.

Thank you for contacting Salt Fiber,

In response to your request regarding connection speed, here is a non-exhaustive list of parameters to be controlled in order to optimize the speed of the fiber optic signal;

For your Fiber Box:

- As a reminder, only one Ethernet port of the Fiber Box gives a signal up to 10Gb/s.
(the other 4 Ethernet ports of the Fiber Box are 1Gb/s ports)
-Only 10Gb/s compatible Ethernet cables can be used to get close to this speed.

For your computer :

- A recent 10Gb/s compatible motherboard
- A fast processor
- A network card supporting 10Gb/s incoming and outgoing data rate
- All drivers and operating systems must be updated with the latest versions available.
- No Firewall / Antivirus (currently none of these programs can handle 10Gb/s traffic)
- No unnecessary programs or services consuming RAM, CPU or HDD resources.

About Wi-Fi speed :

-2.4GHz network > from 20MBit/s to 120MBit/s max / average ~ 50MBit/s
-5GHz network > 80MBit/s to 990MBit/s max / medium ~ 300MBit/s

Please note that the speed of Wi-Fi is never constant, it can be irregular, which is often influenced by the following points:

-Software (antivirus, firewall, adblock, other tools)
-Hardware (wrong device configuration, updates must be installed)
-Other (thick walls, microwave, electronic devices, confined room)

We did some tests on your Fiber Box and were able to measure a good LAN speed: this means that the fiber signal reaches the router correctly. The only way to improve the speed is to check the settings of your devices and your installation.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards
Salt Fiber

Nice email, could have been send by every provider in the world in response to people who ask dumb questions.

wilsong25 23.04.2020 00:49

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
I ordered salt fiber that hardware arrived 2 days early the line was activated to it 2 days early the speeds are 1GB download and upload speeds are 1GB so no complaints the TV channels are great, Apple TV is good so it's an incredible deal for 40 bucks per month.

In short, everything worked perfectly.

Mind. Blown.

user137 02.05.2020 14:49

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
I'm contemplating switching to Salt Fiber as my current fiber provider gives me a lot of trouble with no real customer service.

Most of the comments here are positive, so I hope there's not gonna be a problem in downtown Oerlikon with the service.

- Should I be not happy with the service, can I cancel my subscription within a set date (30, 60 days, like "try before you buy" as Zürinet has it)?
- Does the Salt line run on the same physical fiber as EWZ Zürinet (in Zürich)?
- Does Salt support Auto charging (eBill)?

dox 02.05.2020 17:22

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by user137 (Post 3178102)
I'm contemplating switching to Salt Fiber as my current fiber provider gives me a lot of trouble with no real customer service.

Most of the comments here are positive, so I hope there's not gonna be a problem in downtown Oerlikon with the service.

- Should I be not happy with the service, can I cancel my subscription within a set date (30, 60 days, like "try before you buy" as Zürinet has it)?
- Does the Salt line run on the same physical fiber as EWZ Zürinet (in Zürich)?
- Does Salt support Auto charging (eBill)?

You can cancel any time, but you have to pay something back. I don't recall the details, it is X CHF/month * (36 - <number of months you had the service>). I believe X = 6, so if you cancel after 1 month you'd end up paying some 210 CHF (6 x 35), but don't quote me on that. The best source for this is Salt customer support.
As far as I know, they use the physical fibers already laid out by the local utility companies, so probably EWZ in your case; this means - no new fiber has to be laid out if you already have it.
They don't support eBill for fiber (funny enough, they do so for mobile). They'll send you a PDF bill by email once a month and you can pay it via e-banking (or several other means, see https://fiber.salt.ch/en/help/fiber-support/payment).

user137 02.05.2020 19:52

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dox (Post 3178168)
You can cancel any time, but you have to pay something back. I don't recall the details, it is X CHF/month * (36 - <number of months you had the service>). I believe X = 6, so if you cancel after 1 month you'd end up paying some 210 CHF (6 x 35), but don't quote me on that. The best source for this is Salt customer support.
As far as I know, they use the physical fibers already laid out by the local utility companies, so probably EWZ in your case; this means - no new fiber has to be laid out if you already have it.
They don't support eBill for fiber (funny enough, they do so for mobile). They'll send you a PDF bill by email once a month and you can pay it via e-banking (or several other means, see https://fiber.salt.ch/en/help/fiber-support/payment).

Thanks that sounds like a double no-go, init7 it is then.

EdwinNL 02.05.2020 20:12

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by user137 (Post 3178215)
Thanks that sounds like a double no-go, init7 it is then.

Cancellation within the first 33 months costs 6, per month that you cancel earlier.
Cancellation within 12 months forces you to return the Apple TV or pay 99,- for it.
Cancellation period is 60 days.
Currently no installation costs.

And yes in Zürich they use Zürinet.

Even if you would cancel after a few months it is still so much cheaper for what they offer that it should not be a problem to pay some extra for the cancellation. I'm using Salt over Zürinet and am a very happy customer.

user137 02.05.2020 21:36

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3178218)
Cancellation within the first 33 months costs 6, per month that you cancel earlier.
Cancellation within 12 months forces you to return the Apple TV or pay 99,- for it.
Cancellation period is 60 days.
Currently no installation costs.

And yes in Zürich they use Zürinet.

Even if you would cancel after a few months it is still so much cheaper for what they offer that it should not be a problem to pay some extra for the cancellation. I'm using Salt over Zürinet and am a very happy customer.

Well as I don't have a Salt mobile their offer is 50 francs for me. I don't need TV or the AppleTV device really. I'm happy to pay 10-15 CHF extra per month for proper billing and the flexibility to cancel anytime. A 3 years contract is way outdated nowadays.

CHnuschti 03.05.2020 10:33

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by user137 (Post 3178231)
I'm happy to pay 10-15 CHF extra per month for proper billing and the flexibility to cancel anytime. A 3 years contract is way outdated nowadays.

I think you got it wrong. The flexibility to "cancel anytime" is given at both salt and init7, both with cancellation period 60 days. The difference is that at init7 you have a 12 month minimum contract duration, that salt does NOT have. Instead, the said mechanism above, resulting in a cancellation fee of 198CHF at worst. So if you want to cancel within the first say 8 months, init7 will cost much more.
https://fiber.salt.ch/sites/default/...rochure_en.pdf

The set up costs are higher at init7, a point to consider, specially if you don't have the equipment yet. And Salt offers direct debit.

Zürinet/EWZ, yes, salt will run over it. Zürinet offers a 1-month-test, free to step down without charges, well thats what they say at least.
https://www.ewz.ch/de/private/glasfa...er-finden.html

EdwinNL 03.05.2020 11:11

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHnuschti (Post 3178304)
I think you got it wrong. The flexibility to "cancel anytime" is given at both salt and init7, both with cancellation period 60 days. The difference is that at init7 you have a 12 month minimum contract duration, that salt does NOT have. Instead, the said mechanism above, resulting in a cancellation fee of 198CHF at worst. So if you want to cancel within the first say 8 months, init7 will cost much more.
https://fiber.salt.ch/sites/default/...rochure_en.pdf

The set up costs are higher at init7, a point to consider, specially if you don't have the equipment yet. And Salt offers direct debit.

Zürinet/EWZ, yes, salt will run over it. Zürinet offers a 1-month-test, free to step down without charges, well thats what they say at least.
https://www.ewz.ch/de/private/glasfa...er-finden.html

Init7 charges 170,- for set-up. (155,- + 15,- pp).
Init7 has to be paid annually 777,- (64.75 month) or every 3 months 222,- (74.- month)
Init 7 Only refunds under specific conditions when cancelling.

Salt Fiber free set-up currently.
Salt fiber 49,95 a month.
Cancellation whenever you want.
Apple TV free after a year or 99,- when cancelling within a year.

Since he seems to prefer init7 here's the math.

Minimum duration a year at init7, so let's take that for both.

Init7 = 777,- yr + 170,- set-up = 947,-
Salt = 126,- cancellation fee, + 599,40 = 725,40

And Salt has better speeds, includes a phone line, includes a free AppleTV and has more TV channels.

How can anybody think Init7 is the better deal?

user137 03.05.2020 21:17

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHnuschti (Post 3178304)
I think you got it wrong. The flexibility to "cancel anytime" is given at both salt and init7, both with cancellation period 60 days.

sorry I'm also not too focused on init7 (especially after reading about the setup fee), just looking at their price point of 777 CHF (for years now, actually. It should be cheaper now).

Wingo currently costs 69 CHF without any sale on 500Mbps (sale is usually 45CHF), no commitment.

Sunrise 90CHF for an "up to 1G" line, used to be 45 in a sale.

Zürinet participants offer 100M packages for 45 a month (which is actually plenty enough).


Quote:

The difference is that at init7 you have a 12 month minimum contract duration, that salt does NOT have. Instead, the said mechanism above, resulting in a cancellation fee of 198CHF at worst.
I'm happier to live with a 12-months commitment than with a 36-months one. Not too happy to cancel a 50CHF product for 200, though. :confused:

Quote:

And Salt offers direct debit.
Do they now? Someone just wrote they don't. I had a Salt mobile offer once and they used a nasty habit of charging you 30 CHF late fee on a 19CHF mobile bill if you were late by a day. Also it was "no direct debit possible". They also returned to 59CHF 1 day after the 2 years was up without any commercial follow-up. I swore I'm not using Salt ever again as I hate these tricks.

Quote:

Zürinet/EWZ, yes, salt will run over it. Zürinet offers a 1-month-test, free to step down without charges, well thats what they say at least.
https://www.ewz.ch/de/private/glasfa...er-finden.html
I know, I'm trying to migrate off of one of their providers as the service is a bit lousy and support is not really helping to fix issues.

EdwinNL 03.05.2020 21:44

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by user137 (Post 3178463)
I'm happier to live with a 12-months commitment than with a 36-months one. Not too happy to cancel a 50CHF product for 200, though. :confused:

Do you even have the slightest clue what you want? Or do you just not read anything we write?

I calculated for you that the 33months commitment is 222,- cheaper than when cancelling after 12 months than the 12 months commitment one. Yet you are happier with the 12 months one...

First it is "init7 is it then", now you're not to focused on them.

I'm lost, just read what they offer, make your choice and please don't post it here.

CHnuschti 03.05.2020 21:58

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by user137 (Post 3178463)
I swore I'm not using Salt ever again as I hate these tricks.

Why ask for salt then? What a waste of time on people who generally don't read offers, manuals, advices, have no directions but still have many questions ... :rolleyes:

user137 03.05.2020 22:51

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHnuschti (Post 3178474)
Why ask for salt then? What a waste of time on people who generally don't read offers, manuals, advices, have no directions but still have many questions ... :rolleyes:

I said I'm contemplating. :confused:

I asked specifically if they still are flexible enough to do eBill or direct debit like most other utility providers. I just checked on their website and they do LSV/direct debit, which is good enough for me (set and forget).

I asked if they use Zürinet, got it answered, thank you!

I asked if I can cancel, which you guys both answered, thanks. I still don't like that concept too much, though, so I guess I'll keep looking (or hitting the current provider to solve my problems with my current link).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0