English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   Salt Fiber Box (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/281274-salt-fiber-box.html)

simple_person 26.03.2018 14:38

Salt Fiber Box
 
Salt enters the fixed line internet business https://fiber.salt.ch/en/. It offers 10Gbps at CHF 49.95 and CHF 39.95 for existing mobile customers in more than 30 cities of Switzerland.
  • one off activation fee of CHF 99.95
  • 300 channels
  • Unlimited telephony in CH
  • Apple TV 4K as set top box
Read more here: https://www.salt.ch/media/press/file...Summary_EN.pdf

http://tinyimg.io/i/aTd7yRl.png

http://tinyimg.io/i/qIBxTYR.png

magic 26.03.2018 14:51

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Not available at my address in Geneva but they say "soon" .. would be interesting to see what the competition does?

Swisscom could only offer me 40 MB/s and UPC Cablecom up to 500 MB/s but worth the wait if it happens in the next year.

Wonder if the others will drop their prices :)

Jaceq 26.03.2018 16:47

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
wingo apparently dropped their prices for some combined package 30% 1-2 days after salt...

btw. anybody ordered salt fiber yet?

EdwinNL 26.03.2018 17:03

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
In some weeks/few months they will bring the new cable from the street into the homes, I absolutely will take this, unless the competition will come up with even greater things.

Rachel Moore 26.03.2018 17:35

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Looks an impressive package and offer, what a marked difference. I am with Net+ previously TRN, who are cheaper and better than your Swisscoms and Sunrises, but if something better is out there it is good for the consumer and push the others to be competitive.
I am a Salt customer...ex Orange...so I benefit with further discounts...and it is already available in Nyon, dead chuffed I am.

magic 26.03.2018 19:28

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaceq (Post 2927266)
wingo apparently dropped their prices for some combined package 30% 1-2 days after salt...

btw. anybody ordered salt fiber yet?

I tried it at two addresses here in Geneva and currently for both it says "coming soon" or available to you soon.

I just ordered UPC cablecom 200 MB/s but this offer makes this look like a joke. I am guessing it might take 6 months to be available but will sign-up ASAP.

Just tried another address and it is available immediately... ho-hum so wonder how long the "coming-soon" are ... no time soon I am guessing

robBob 26.03.2018 19:31

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
I going to write an if not then else letter to UPC.

Corbets 27.03.2018 05:19

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Probably should be merged with the original thread.

https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-inter...-internet.html

BaselLife 27.03.2018 08:41

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Hi

There are 2 potential problems. There is no way to change the router configuration but hopefully you can run it in bridge mode and use your own router. This is important if you are using smart dns or vpn. The other potential challenge is the apple TV box. Luckly you don't need to take this as the salt TV apps are available on Google Play store and the apple app store. However it means that salt.tv is unlikely to work with amazon fire stick or roku.


Have fun
Martin

lordzsolt 27.03.2018 09:58

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Interesting... Wonder when it will be available, as Swisscom quoted 50mb/s for my address with fiber optics "potentially" coming in a year. I live in a small af commune, so I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. So I had to take UPC Cablecom :(

The other potential issue is, I see no way of opting out of the TV option, meaning you'll be shafted by Billag.

simple_person 27.03.2018 10:35

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
In the beginning of 2019 system changes. Until now, owners of radio or TV sets paid billag. Now all households and businesses are subject to a tax deduction, regardless of whether they own a TV or a radio with a few exceptions.

https://telebasel.ch/2017/03/10/sera...nd-tv-abgaben/

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordzsolt (Post 2927571)
The other potential issue is, I see no way of opting out of the TV option, meaning you'll be shafted by Billag.


robBob 27.03.2018 10:39

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by simple_person (Post 2927588)
In the beginning of 2019 system changes. Until now, owners of radio or TV sets paid billag. Now all households and businesses are subject to a tax deduction, regardless of whether they own a TV or a radio with a few exceptions.

https://telebasel.ch/2017/03/10/sera...nd-tv-abgaben/

Might as well call it just another head tax! Or in this case its a household tax.

lordzsolt 27.03.2018 11:27

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by simple_person (Post 2927588)
In the beginning of 2019 system changes. Until now, owners of radio or TV sets paid billag. Now all households and businesses are subject to a tax deduction, regardless of whether they own a TV or a radio with a few exceptions.

https://telebasel.ch/2017/03/10/sera...nd-tv-abgaben/

Ah I see... So it'll be some additional amount deducted from your salary. I guess it makes sense since it will feel less as something "extra" you have to pay for.

Guess at that point I'll buy a TV to occasionally turn it on what I feel like listening to something in French. (And proceed to have PTSD for a month, since I assumed I made progress with learning the language, but then I still don't understand shit)

Rachel Moore 27.03.2018 12:19

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robBob (Post 2927591)
Might as well call it just another head tax! Or in this case its a household tax.

Poll tax...:mad:

BaselLife 27.03.2018 15:03

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Hi,

I think I prefer paying Billag that way. I never understood why it was not already done that way as really everyone should be paying. I don't watch much swiss tv or much radio but I know it is a useful service for a lot of people. It is less that my krankenkasse for one month and so it is not something I worry about. I would like to be able to pay a uk tv licence as I watch a lot of bbc programmes.

Have fun
Martin

lordzsolt 27.03.2018 15:22

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaselLife (Post 2927754)
Hi,

I think I prefer paying Billag that way. I never understood why it was not already done that way as really everyone should be paying. I don't watch much swiss tv or much radio but I know it is a useful service for a lot of people. It is less that my krankenkasse for one month and so it is not something I worry about. I would like to be able to pay a uk tv licence as I watch a lot of bbc programmes.

Have fun
Martin

I agree.

Though paying it this way is still not "perfect" for me.

Why not have the telephone/cable TV/ISP providers collect this fee?
Ex: When you get a phone subscription, add an extra 10,- CHF on it as "radio tax" (cause obviously you're not going to watch TV on your iPhone). If you want to have subscription at 2 providers, allow people to take the other contract or get a document from Billag stating that you're indeed paying the radio fee already, so you can get it cheaper. Same thing for when you get internet subscription.
When you get TV subscription, add an additional 30,- CHF as "television fee". This money then goes to Billag. (Not actually Billag, the other 4 letter acronym that's responsible for news, pardon my ignorance)

Maybe I'm too ignorant to see if there's a problem with this? I guess providers could say they don't want to do this.
And they would be force to separate TV and Internet packages? :msnsarcastic:

drkarthiks 28.03.2018 10:55

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
The one thing no one in Salt can answer about this - What happens if you leave the country? Does the termination fee apply? As they have a special provision in their mobile contracts of no fee if you leave the country.

Other than that, smashing great deal. If you take the mobile contract, you now have everything unlimited in switzerland for even lesser. I am seriously considering this.

blueturtle 28.03.2018 11:42

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
1 Attachment(s)
Very attractive. I would wait until my current 1 year contract with sunrise ends, perhaps they sweeten their deal soon to compete with Salt.

My apartment has fiber optic and Salt can provide..

Interesting ---
"Andreas Schönenberger, CEO Salt Mobile said: « Salt is the only Swiss operator which believes that design is a key element to ensuring that Swiss households’ broadband experience is enjoyable."

EdwinNL 28.03.2018 11:48

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkarthiks (Post 2928040)
The one thing no one in Salt can answer about this - What happens if you leave the country? Does the termination fee apply? As they have a special provision in their mobile contracts of no fee if you leave the country.

Other than that, smashing great deal. If you take the mobile contract, you now have everything unlimited in switzerland for even lesser. I am seriously considering this.

Maximum amount of CHF 198 in case of termination during the first month. Thereafter termination fee is decreasing by CHF 6 per month. No termination fees are due after 33 months.

Not really a financial disaster, is it?

BaselLife 28.03.2018 12:21

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Hi,

I am trying to get some important technical questions answered and this is proving very challenging. The Q&A section on the web is aimed at non technical people and the hotline is also not being helpful.

Does anyone know if the google salt.tv app supports chromecast?

Thanks
Martin

ksvalliappa 28.03.2018 12:47

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
I had checked the availability for my address 4 days ago and got the "coming soon" message. Tried again today morning and bingo! I have gone for it and even if I get only 10% of the promised upload/download speeds for CHF39.95 it is a super deal (even if I don't consider the other "freebies").

I will post an update (activation time of 10 days) as soon as the service starts at my place. At this point, I too have few technical concerns but guess they are for another day ;)

Greenhill 28.03.2018 12:51

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Excellent offer from Salt. Got the same message "Coming soon" in my area.

Wish our Krankenkasse's can give us offers like Telco companies.

robBob 28.03.2018 13:13

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Now I now why Sunrise is offering a free iPad.

EdwinNL 28.03.2018 14:48

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robBob (Post 2928111)
Now I now why Sunrise is offering a free iPad.

Sunrise:
130,-/month For up to 1Gbit/s & TV: 270+ channels, 80+ in HD & Unlimited free calling in CH and a free iPad.

Or.

Salt:
49,95/month For up to 10Gbit/s & TV: 250 Channels (German part) including HD and 4K & Unlimited free calling in CH and a free Apple TV.

Yeah, that iPad is really going to make the difference....

robBob 28.03.2018 17:11

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Exactly my point! :cool:

Just Sunrise made me the offer about a month ago and gave me one day to decide. Offers good til tomorrow, bla bla bla.

drkarthiks 28.03.2018 22:19

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 2928075)
Maximum amount of CHF 198 in case of termination during the first month. Thereafter termination fee is decreasing by CHF 6 per month. No termination fees are due after 33 months.

Not really a financial disaster, is it?

Not really, I was just comparing it to other companies that only have a 99 CHF cancellation fee etc. :) Always good to have complete information before signing anything.

ksvalliappa 29.03.2018 10:36

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
For those interested to know a little bit more about the latest Salt offering:

https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft...id8146835.html

lbedford 30.03.2018 20:48

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
For anyone interested, they were fairly quick setting it up for me. The box came in a few days, the network connection a few days later. The UI on the box is very limited in what it can do (no bridging that I found so far) and incoming port forwarding also does not appear to work (I believe Carrier Grade NAT is involved). It will give you an external IP address in the detail section, but that is not an IP you can connect to from outside. No IPv6 either. It does have dynamic DNS support, but that is a tad pointless when incoming connections don't work.

There has already been at least one firmware update, as after it got an internet connection, it started complaining about the password.

I find the comments about design particularly funny. The box is large, white, with white on white writing to tell you what the LEDs are showing.

Unfortunatley, nothing else in my house has the ability to talk faster than 1G, so getting a useful speedtest result is not happening. I have reliably measured 1G each way though so far.

Jaceq 31.03.2018 17:43

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbedford (Post 2929099)
For anyone interested, they were fairly quick setting it up for me. The box came in a few days, the network connection a few days later. The UI on the box is very limited in what it can do (no bridging that I found so far) and incoming port forwarding also does not appear to work (I believe Carrier Grade NAT is involved). It will give you an external IP address in the detail section, but that is not an IP you can connect to from outside. No IPv6 either. It does have dynamic DNS support, but that is a tad pointless when incoming connections don't work.

Thanks for update!! :)

Setting it into bridge mode would be a bit useless in terms that this would likely mean you have to do NATing on some other hardware and routers available today with Hardware nating can reach max 1gbps anyway.

It's really interesting whether there is a public IP on the box... if you can see it's public IP on the box and it's matching something from http://www.whatsmyip.org/ then most likely there is a public IP assigned to it... Otherwise it's a bit crap on that level... however offer is still very very good especially given that 99% of users don't even know what public IP is :)

btw. did you try to ping customer service with question about port forwarding etc?

Harrie Nak 03.04.2018 09:37

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaceq (Post 2929379)
Thanks for update!! :)

Setting it into bridge mode would be a bit useless in terms that this would likely mean you have to do NATing on some other hardware and routers available today with Hardware nating can reach max 1gbps anyway.

It's really interesting whether there is a public IP on the box... if you can see it's public IP on the box and it's matching something from http://www.whatsmyip.org/ then most likely there is a public IP assigned to it... Otherwise it's a bit crap on that level... however offer is still very very good especially given that 99% of users don't even know what public IP is :)

btw. did you try to ping customer service with question about port forwarding etc?

Not useless for users like myself that use e.g. the VPN client and policy based routing on a second router.

proksy 03.04.2018 10:59

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Thats a great news. Thanks OP :)
do you still have to pay billag when you have internet TV.

EdwinNL 03.04.2018 12:55

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by proksy (Post 2930067)
do you still have to pay billag when you have internet TV.

Yes.

Jaceq 05.04.2018 14:09

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrie Nak (Post 2930032)
Not useless for users like myself that use e.g. the VPN client and policy based routing on a second router.

VPN -> You can simply port forward (if that'd be possible and if box has public IP) while doing a NAT on more capable router. Routing is a different issue, true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by proksy (Post 2930067)
Thats a great news. Thanks OP :)
do you still have to pay billag when you have internet TV.

Yes and no, it depends :) You have to pay billag for TV if you have a IPTV account (even if it is free). This means that you can watch those various streaming and even SRF materials online (as well as youtube etc) that do NOT require a login. Also apparently billag goes away from next year on.

EdwinNL 05.04.2018 14:32

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaceq (Post 2930993)
Yes and no, it depends :) You have to pay billag for TV if you have a IPTV account (even if it is free). This means that you can watch those various streaming and even SRF materials online (as well as youtube etc) that do NOT require a login. Also apparently billag goes away from next year on.


Additional:

And billag for radio has to be paid if the computer is connected to the internet.

xipher 08.04.2018 14:53

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbedford (Post 2929099)
For anyone interested, they were fairly quick setting it up for me. The box came in a few days, the network connection a few days later. The UI on the box is very limited in what it can do (no bridging that I found so far) and incoming port forwarding also does not appear to work (I believe Carrier Grade NAT is involved). It will give you an external IP address in the detail section, but that is not an IP you can connect to from outside. No IPv6 either. It does have dynamic DNS support, but that is a tad pointless when incoming connections don't work.

There has already been at least one firmware update, as after it got an internet connection, it started complaining about the password.

I find the comments about design particularly funny. The box is large, white, with white on white writing to tell you what the LEDs are showing.

Unfortunatley, nothing else in my house has the ability to talk faster than 1G, so getting a useful speedtest result is not happening. I have reliably measured 1G each way though so far.

Thanks for the review! That’s very disappointing. They have this on their FAQs:

Will I be assigned a fixed IP address?
Yes, Salt will provide you with a fixed IP address which cannot be changed or modified.


I guess they are not lying even if all the customers get assigned the same shared IP.

Can someone confirm that they use CG-NAT? That’s a deal breaker for me.

omtatsat 08.04.2018 19:26

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Marketing hype for an inferior product
Quote:

Originally Posted by simple_person (Post 2927165)
Salt enters the fixed line internet business https://fiber.salt.ch/en/. It offers 10Gbps at CHF 49.95 and CHF 39.95 for existing mobile customers in more than 30 cities of Switzerland.
  • one off activation fee of CHF 99.95
  • 300 channels
  • Unlimited telephony in CH
  • Apple TV 4K as set top box
Read more here: https://www.salt.ch/media/press/file...Summary_EN.pdf

http://tinyimg.io/i/aTd7yRl.png

http://tinyimg.io/i/qIBxTYR.png


EdwinNL 08.04.2018 22:35

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2932092)
Marketing hype for an inferior product

Why would you call it inferior if you yourself have zero experience with it?

Mr, nag, nag, nag, nag,....

omtatsat 09.04.2018 07:46

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
1 Attachment(s)
Their earth shattering TV offer. ( German Channels ). 70 Channels! And the half of them are not even HD! And you dont need 10Gbps to watch TV.

Supposed to be 250 included German sender. Where????



Speed ​​is overrated.



There is 1GB max of most router switch.

But there are also the network cards of Engeräte usually "only" 1GB support.

There are the (mechanical) hard disks that can not write so fast.




Attachment 132763

xipher 09.04.2018 08:48

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2932235)
Speed ​​is overrated.

There is 1GB max of most router switch.

But there are also the network cards of Engeräte usually "only" 1GB support.

There are the (mechanical) hard disks that can not write so fast.

The reason they give 10Gbps is just marketing, for most of us is like if they say "unlimited speed", the limit is in our devices. But for that price (50 CHF), you can't even get 50 Mbps in other companies.

If your issue is that they give too much speed, you can pay 110 CHF in UPC and get 200 Mbps. :)

EdwinNL 09.04.2018 12:46

Re: Salt Fiber Box
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2932235)
Their earth shattering TV offer. ( German Channels ). 70 Channels! And the half of them are not even HD! And you dont need 10Gbps to watch TV.

Supposed to be 250 included German sender. Where????

Do your research next time: It shows very clearly on their site: https://fiber.salt.ch/en/channels-en/
Quote:


Speed ​​is overrated.

No it is not, tell this to countries or regions where a normal speed cannot be achieved. There is a point above which faster speeds make no difference anymore, this point is not at 1gb/ps.
Quote:



There is 1GB max of most router switch.

They give you a new one which is capable of much higher speeds.
Quote:


But there are also the network cards of Engeräte usually "only" 1GB support.

Get rid of your ancient machine.
Quote:


There are the (mechanical) hard disks that can not write so fast.
As said before, get rid of your ancient equipment and step in the modern world, and stop nagging about things on which you lack knowledge and clearly are either trolling or just want to nag. Me and my wife have normal new laptops that are very easily capable of speeds far above 1gb/ps, My SSD writes above 3gb/ps and my wife has two of those in hers.

And as said before this higher maximum speed is much much cheaper than the slower connection as advertised by the competition, but hey if speed is overrated, just pay double for only a tenth of the speed if that makes you happy.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0