English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   TV - which socket and adapter? (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/287374-tv-socket-adapter.html)

madchester 19.10.2018 09:34

TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help me figure out how to get my TV working in Geneva. My landlady says the subscription is included in the rent but she never bought an adapter when there was some kind of switchover? Apparently it was just a cheapie thing you could have got from Migros back in the day. I went into a MaxiDiscount electrical store to ask about this and they tried to sell me a decoder. I have three plug points in the wall: one coax, one phone (maybe?) and one that looks like a close cousin of an F connector. I'm going to try and post a picture below and hope that the forum rules allow it. Right now the TV is hooked up to the coax with no reception of any kind and my landlady is too technophobic to help further. Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...012_193300.jpg

curley 19.10.2018 09:38

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madchester (Post 3004138)
Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help me figure out how to get my TV working in Geneva. My landlady says the subscription is included in the rent but she never bought an adapter when there was some kind of switchover? Apparently it was just a cheapie thing you could have got from Migros back in the day. I went into a MaxiDiscount electrical store to ask about this and they tried to sell me a decoder. I have three plug points in the wall: one coax, one phone (maybe?) and one that looks like a close cousin of an F connector. I'm going to try and post a picture below and hope that the forum rules allow it. Right now the TV is hooked up to the coax with no reception of any kind and my landlady is too technophobic to help further. Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...012_193300.jpg

Cablecom free channels. TV antenna cable top right socket.
If you want more channels than the basic, you have to get an additional cablecom contract = pay more.

LuganoPirate 19.10.2018 14:59

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
I'm sure others have packages, but Swisscom will put fibre in for free if you sign a one year contract. All fixed lines are now VOIP so need fibre in any case.

st2lemans 19.10.2018 15:05

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
TV should be hooked up to the antenna connector.

Tom

aSwissInTheUS 19.10.2018 16:49

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
The left (hole in the middle) is for FM Radio 87 - 108 MHz.
The right (pin in the middle) is for classic and DVB-C TV in the 57 to 860 MHz range
The middle one is for broad band connection up to 2Ghz.

Not sure if UPC still broadcasts FM Radio.
Not sure if UPC still has classic TV or if all is digital this days.
If it is digital your TV will need a DVB-C tuner.
For all/more channels you may have to order the UPC Digicard, and your TV should have a CI+ card slot.

If your TV does not have a CI+ slot, or you wisch VOD, and record any channel, you have to get the UPC TV Set-Top-Box, that one has to be connected to the middle outlet.

omtatsat 19.10.2018 17:23

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madchester (Post 3004138)
Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help me figure out how to get my TV working in Geneva. My landlady says the subscription is included in the rent but she never bought an adapter when there was some kind of switchover? Apparently it was just a cheapie thing you could have got from Migros back in the day. I went into a MaxiDiscount electrical store to ask about this and they tried to sell me a decoder. I have three plug points in the wall: one coax, one phone (maybe?) and one that looks like a close cousin of an F connector. I'm going to try and post a picture below and hope that the forum rules allow it. Right now the TV is hooked up to the coax with no reception of any kind and my landlady is too technophobic to help further. Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...012_193300.jpg

If your TV has an DVB-C connection then you dont need any adaptor.

https://www.upc.ch/de/support/richtig-verkabelt/#3-hole
Sorry its in German. Could not find in English. Explains how to set up if you have UPC. You will need one device of the 4 shown to set it up.
The subscription that your landlady refers to is is only for the use of the 3 point plug. Not sure if you get free TV without a UPC contract. Check here if you have a fibre connection
.
https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residenti...-regions.html#!
Put in your address in the field

st2lemans 19.10.2018 19:31

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3004334)
Not sure if UPC still has classic TV or if all is digital this days.

Some analog, some digital.

We have a decoderbox in the livingroom, with a splitter to the bedroom.

Bedroom TV gets analog and un-encoded digital.

Tom

Mrs. Doolittle 20.10.2018 08:32

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
We got a Smart Card from UPC for 10 francs a month. You need a TV which is compatible with it and has a slot. You must connect a cable from the wall socket to the TV.

Phil_MCR 15.06.2020 22:58

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3004334)
The left (hole in the middle) is for FM Radio 87 - 108 MHz.
The right (pin in the middle) is for classic and DVB-C TV in the 57 to 860 MHz range
The middle one is for broad band connection up to 2Ghz.

Not sure if UPC still broadcasts FM Radio.
Not sure if UPC still has classic TV or if all is digital this days.
If it is digital your TV will need a DVB-C tuner.
For all/more channels you may have to order the UPC Digicard, and your TV should have a CI+ card slot.

If your TV does not have a CI+ slot, or you wisch VOD, and record any channel, you have to get the UPC TV Set-Top-Box, that one has to be connected to the middle outlet.

Does anyone know what the internals of the box is?

I understand a single coax cable goes into it, so is it just a direct physical connection to split it into 3 different connectors? Or is there something more advanced going on inside which maybe filters the signal going to the different outputs?

bowlie 16.06.2020 07:26

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 3191332)
Does anyone know what the internals of the box is?

I understand a single coax cable goes into it, so is it just a direct physical connection to split it into 3 different connectors? Or is there something more advanced going on inside which maybe filters the signal going to the different outputs?

The third (off centre) plug is relatively new. Originally there were only the TV and FM plugs. I think they squeezed in the third one where every they could find space.

There is no longer any analog TV being broadcast in Switzerland, but neighbouring France broadcasts can still be found in the Geneva area. FM radio is also history, in Switzerland, but again France will still use it. These two depend on an antenna on the roof. New buildings aren’t using them. Your two may not be connected to anything.

The third plug is for cable. Our Net Plus service comes here via a box in the garage. Internally it’s connected to a Net+ box which outputs the internet connection via ethernet and I have a router connected to that. It also connects to another Net+ box with the signal to the TV and their own wifi.

Ask one of your neighbours how they have theirs setup but likely you are going to need some type of subscription and yes you will need some type of box.

venetian 16.06.2020 11:44

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3191353)
These two depend on an antenna on the roof. New buildings aren’t using them. Your two may not be connected to anything.

Assuming the socket is internally the same, UPC uses the two rightmost connectors to connect the router and the TV, separately.
See last page of https://www.upc.ch/pdf/support/TV/Qu...lay_TV-Box.pdf
Maybe this depends on how the building is wired?

st2lemans 16.06.2020 13:50

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3191353)
FM radio is also history, in Switzerland.

No, it isn't. Still works fine in our cars.

Tom

venetian 16.06.2020 14:07

Re: TV - which socket and adapter?
 
The FM switchoff should happen in August 2022 for the SRG-SSR, end of year for the private broadcasters.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0