Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.03.2019, 11:47
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,948
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,042 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Amazon Alexa 3rd Gen Dot Power

I have a few 2nd gen Echo Dot's around the house, which connected with a usb charging cable to 9W, which I basically plugged into a Swiss Apple plug, with no problems.

I just received a 3rd gen Echo Dot, which has changed the system to a 15W UK plug (12v 1200A).

Aside from getting an adapter, which looks ugly, I thought it would be easy to get a simple power cable replacement but Migros and Interdiscount were not too helpful and only had a universal adapter thing for chf 40... more than my Alexa cost.

1) So, would something like this do, or any other cheaper solution?

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product...pplier=3013528

2) Alternatively, would this cable then allow me to once again just connect it to a typical Swiss apple wall plug?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DigitCont-C...sr=1-1-catcorr

Just asking on here in case anyone has already done this here or knows what they are talking about, unlike me!
__________________
krlock3.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.03.2019, 13:59
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,298
Groaned at 405 Times in 318 Posts
Thanked 18,256 Times in 7,603 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Alexa 3rd Gen Dot Power

Quote:
View Post
I have a few 2nd gen Echo Dot's around the house, which connected with a usb charging cable to 9W, which I basically plugged into a Swiss Apple plug, with no problems.

I just received a 3rd gen Echo Dot, which has changed the system to a 15W UK plug (12v 1200A).

Aside from getting an adapter, which looks ugly, I thought it would be easy to get a simple power cable replacement but Migros and Interdiscount were not too helpful and only had a universal adapter thing for chf 40... more than my Alexa cost.

1) So, would something like this do, or any other cheaper solution?

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product...pplier=3013528

2) Alternatively, would this cable then allow me to once again just connect it to a typical Swiss apple wall plug?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DigitCont-C...sr=1-1-catcorr

Just asking on here in case anyone has already done this here or knows what they are talking about, unlike me!
Both ideas will work. With the former, you need to ensure that the connector barrel outside and inside (hole) diameters are the same as that for the Echo dot.

The one from Digitec in your link is no good. It has an OD of 5.5mm and you need around 4mm OD.

It could be a Type C: 3.8 mm OD, 1.4 mm ID or a Type E: 3.4 mm OD, 1.3 mm ID.

Not sure. You'd have to google the exact spec to be sure. (or measure the diameter of the DC plug you have using some vernier calipers).

For the second, it's okay but, as you say, a bit messy.

Last edited by Tom1234; 20.03.2019 at 15:35. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.06.2019, 04:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LAXtoZRH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Amazon Alexa 3rd Gen Dot Power

Is an Amazon Alexa usable in Switzerland? I had read up on Amazon that they weren't in Switzerland. Does that mean they just aren't sold in CH or cannot be connected in a home wifi network? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.06.2019, 04:37
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,481
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Alexa 3rd Gen Dot Power

Quote:
View Post
Is an Amazon Alexa usable in Switzerland? I had read up on Amazon that they weren't in Switzerland. Does that mean they just aren't sold in CH or cannot be connected in a home wifi network? Thanks for any info.
It does work, but you have to download the app from a 3rd party source (Which is risky).

I don't do much with mine. I was disappointed to discover that nothing happens when I say "Alexa, please make dinner."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.06.2019, 09:50
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,298
Groaned at 405 Times in 318 Posts
Thanked 18,256 Times in 7,603 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Alexa 3rd Gen Dot Power

Quote:
View Post
It does work, but you have to download the app from a 3rd party source (Which is risky).
This isn't true.

You can download the app from a third-party source if you want some of the advanced functionality such as using 'routines' that is offered in the U.S., but not in Europe.

Otherwise, most things work fine. What you won't be able to do is any location-specific stuff such as checking local weather and shopping online will be a problem too.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.06.2019, 15:20
BaselLife's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,030
Groaned at 31 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 611 Times in 343 Posts
BaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeable
Re: Amazon Alexa 3rd Gen Dot Power

Hi

Alexa works in Swizerland as long as you have an Amazon account in the UK or Germany. You can download the Amazon app from Google play and from itunes. This is not a third party supplier. As normal you just need a google id or apple id that can used for the Uk,USA or German app stores. Also you will most likely need a smart dns or vpn. The same applies to Google Home, though I did read that Switzerland was finally being officially supported by Google.

Have fun

Martin
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon Echo / Alexa StirB TV/internet/telephone 280 12.01.2019 15:28
Amazon recalls fire risk power bank chargers Medea Fleecestealer TV/internet/telephone 0 14.03.2018 18:13
[FS] - White iPad 16GB 3rd Gen (Wifi and Cellular) - [ZH/Oerlikon] tigereyeali Items for sale 6 25.01.2017 12:49
Amazon.com or Amazon.de, etc import taxes equal to 0 seph TV/internet/telephone 27 24.02.2015 13:51
Amazon Boycott / Will you be shopping Amazon? havanah International affairs/politics 10 12.11.2010 10:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0