English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/29166-more-bandwidth-lower-prices-swisscom-dsl.html)

keandro 25.07.2008 11:04

More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Press release here:

http://www.swisscom.com/GHQ/content/...te.htm?lang=en

Key changes:

1) If you currently have DSL Standard for 49 CHF/month, your speed will be increased from 3,500/300 to 5,000/500 for the same price.

2) DSL Extra at 5,000kbps is renamed to DSL Standard and the price drops 10 CHF/month to 49CHF.

3) New 'DSL Start' Abo for those who would like Bluewin TV without paying for DSL access. No monthly fee, but 3CHF/hour for access at speeds of 300/100.

4) New lowest price flat-rate subscription is 'DSL Mini' at 1000/100 for 34CHF.

Louis Wu 25.07.2008 11:08

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Good news indeed - you can never have enough bandwidth :-)

keandro 25.07.2008 11:55

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Finally Swisscom is starting to plan and invest (8bn CHF) for fibre to the home (FTTH). Source (In German: http://www.weltwoche.ch/artikel/?Ass...&CategoryID=62)

This could have been started years ago (like S. Korea) with Swisscom's huge profits and in a country of this scale. We could already be enjoying blazing speeds and the economic benefits that come with -- increased productivity, attracting companies & investment, education & research, etc. But they took the wait and see approach and thought VDSL would be sufficient for years to come.

Maybe in another 10 years we'll see the benefits...

AbFab 25.07.2008 11:57

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Wu (Post 277306)
Good news indeed - you can never have enough bandwidth :-)

I just have to wait for Cablecom's response...

Louis Wu 25.07.2008 12:06

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 277376)
I just have to wait for Cablecom's response...


I've never used Cablecom, I was looking into changing from Swisscom as Cablecom were offering some pretty attractive deals but I heard nothing but bad news about customer support. I stuck with Swissy and after a few weeks they upped their bandwidth for free anyway. I'm on the CHF 49 fixed rate - just as well as I seem to use the Internet rather a lot these days :)

FriendlyKiwi 25.07.2008 13:18

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 277376)
I just have to wait for Cablecom's response...

????

Swisscom upgrading their 3500/300 package to 5000/500 was Swisscom's response to Cablecom's upgrade to 5000/500 announced in February this year, and has been available from March. Cablecom is 45.- / month, with new subscribers getting 50% discount for the first 3 resp. 6 months.

Source.


Lob 25.07.2008 13:21

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
The distribution of new cable modems is almost certainly for a significant boost in speeds.

I'm guessing end of Q3 there will be an announcement and Cablecom will step forwards with a considerable increase in speed for the same money.

65 francs for 15Mbps connection is fine by me. 65 francs for 30Mbps or 50Mbps is also fine ;)

medhi 30.08.2008 06:22

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
thanks,
But bluewin does not provide the speed it claims in many parts of Switzerland. e.g. For 49SF(standard DSL) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 1200, in many places one gets a maxmum of around 300.

With mini DSL(34SF) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 300, in many places one gets around 100!
In other words, with standard(49SF) one gets the maximum speed of around 300 !! which is equivalent of the minimum download speed of MINIDSL (34SF). And for mini DSL also one gets a maximum of 100-130 ( a third of the minimum and a tenth of the max.of claimed speed of dowload!!

Test your speed with Speed test.ch and see where you stand. You may get surprise how bluewin overcharges. Then you may wish to contact bluewin-of course you may not get a satisfactory answer!!
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by keandro (Post 277300)
Press release here:

http://www.swisscom.com/GHQ/content/...te.htm?lang=en

Key changes:

1) If you currently have DSL Standard for 49 CHF/month, your speed will be increased from 3,500/300 to 5,000/500 for the same price.

2) DSL Extra at 5,000kbps is renamed to DSL Standard and the price drops 10 CHF/month to 49CHF.

3) New 'DSL Start' Abo for those who would like Bluewin TV without paying for DSL access. No monthly fee, but 3CHF/hour for access at speeds of 300/100.

4) New lowest price flat-rate subscription is 'DSL Mini' at 1000/100 for 34CHF.


esto 30.08.2008 12:53

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keandro (Post 277372)
Finally Swisscom is starting to plan and invest (8bn CHF) for fibre to the home (FTTH). Source (In German: http://www.weltwoche.ch/artikel/?Ass...&CategoryID=62)

This could have been started years ago (like S. Korea) with Swisscom's huge profits and in a country of this scale. We could already be enjoying blazing speeds and the economic benefits that come with -- increased productivity, attracting companies & investment, education & research, etc. But they took the wait and see approach and thought VDSL would be sufficient for years to come.

Maybe in another 10 years we'll see the benefits...

FTTN (and FTTB too) allready exists in many parts of CH. So fiber is in place. It's just a matter of running the "last-mile" (well, last few meters actually) connections into peoples apartments/houses that will take a long time. With current VDSL they use the existing copper-wire to your apartment up to the FO point, since it's quicker to roll it out like that.

There's a good picture on page 3 (the rest of the presentation is also a good read)

http://www.swisscom.ch/NR/rdonlyres/...ldemann_en.pdf

nathan-rahl 30.08.2008 17:40

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Wu (Post 277393)
I've never used Cablecom, I was looking into changing from Swisscom as Cablecom were offering some pretty attractive deals but I heard nothing but bad news about customer support. I stuck with Swissy and after a few weeks they upped their bandwidth for free anyway. I'm on the CHF 49 fixed rate - just as well as I seem to use the Internet rather a lot these days :)

i wouldnt recommend cablecom either, they **** big time. i am trying to cut a connection of a friend who already left the country, and his connection is already more than a year, so no contract anymore, and they want 3 months more before they will cut it. and that is just a new policy of theirs, cause a month ago, a friend of mine cuts his cablecom internet and he did not experience the 3 months.

guess i'll have to look at this swisscom offer

Gav 30.08.2008 17:59

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan-rahl (Post 303614)
i wouldnt recommend cablecom either, they **** big time. i am trying to cut a connection of a friend who already left the country, and his connection is already more than a year, so no contract anymore, and they want 3 months more before they will cut it. and that is just a new policy of theirs, cause a month ago, a friend of mine cuts his cablecom internet and he did not experience the 3 months.

guess i'll have to look at this swisscom offer

It's not a new policy - I had to give 3 months notice almost 2 years ago when I wanted to quit them, despite having had cablemodem for something like 3 or 4 years.

If you are deregistering from Switzerland I belive that you can cancel with immediate effect on production of your deregistration papers.

medhi 31.08.2008 10:13

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Thanks
This is what their advertisement says!!. But you can get that upgrade only in certain places. In our village (10 KM from Geneva; 1.5Km from versioix) the maximum technically possible from STANDARD is about 310 and from DSLmini 134!!. The reason: we are fatr from telephone centre of versiox. But Swisscome still charges 49 SF for Standard which provides only about 30% of the minimum speed for MINI DSL!! Good business!!


Quote:

Originally Posted by medhi (Post 303488)
thanks,
But bluewin does not provide the speed it claims in many parts of Switzerland. e.g. For 49SF(standard DSL) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 1200, in many places one gets a maxmum of around 300.

With mini DSL(34SF) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 300, in many places one gets around 100!
In other words, with standard(49SF) one gets the maximum speed of around 300 !! which is equivalent of the minimum download speed of MINIDSL (34SF). And for mini DSL also one gets a maximum of 100-130 ( a third of the minimum and a tenth of the max.of claimed speed of dowload!!

Test your speed with Speed test.ch and see where you stand. You may get surprise how bluewin overcharges. Then you may wish to contact bluewin-of course you may not get a satisfactory answer!!
cheers


medhi 31.08.2008 10:18

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Please note that cablecom provides connection only in cities not in villages

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan-rahl (Post 303614)
i wouldnt recommend cablecom either, they **** big time. i am trying to cut a connection of a friend who already left the country, and his connection is already more than a year, so no contract anymore, and they want 3 months more before they will cut it. and that is just a new policy of theirs, cause a month ago, a friend of mine cuts his cablecom internet and he did not experience the 3 months.

guess i'll have to look at this swisscom offer


AbFab 31.08.2008 10:23

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by medhi (Post 303779)
Please note that cablecom provides connection only in cities not in villages

You can never make 100% certain statements about Switzerland! I live in a village (we even have no church) and have Cablecom...

Mark75 31.08.2008 10:36

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by medhi (Post 303779)
Please note that cablecom provides connection only in cities not in villages

If you wan't to find out if cablecom is available at your place, you can enter your address (street, house number, ZIP code) on the cablecom web site.

Gav 31.08.2008 11:13

Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 303783)
You can never make 100% certain statements about Switzerland! I live in a village (we even have no church) and have Cablecom...

No church????!!!

That means no damn churchbells - fantastic! I take it you want to keep the location a closely guarded secret lest you be overrun by people seeking refuge from the never-ending clanging of the bells.......

(And cablemodem internet too! The place sounds like paradise :D )


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0