Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.07.2008, 12:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
keandro has no particular reputation at present
More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Press release here:

http://www.swisscom.com/GHQ/content/...te.htm?lang=en

Key changes:

1) If you currently have DSL Standard for 49 CHF/month, your speed will be increased from 3,500/300 to 5,000/500 for the same price.

2) DSL Extra at 5,000kbps is renamed to DSL Standard and the price drops 10 CHF/month to 49CHF.

3) New 'DSL Start' Abo for those who would like Bluewin TV without paying for DSL access. No monthly fee, but 3CHF/hour for access at speeds of 300/100.

4) New lowest price flat-rate subscription is 'DSL Mini' at 1000/100 for 34CHF.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank keandro for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 25.07.2008, 12:08
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,027
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Good news indeed - you can never have enough bandwidth :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.07.2008, 12:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 73
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
keandro has no particular reputation at present
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Finally Swisscom is starting to plan and invest (8bn CHF) for fibre to the home (FTTH). Source (In German: http://www.weltwoche.ch/artikel/?Ass...&CategoryID=62)

This could have been started years ago (like S. Korea) with Swisscom's huge profits and in a country of this scale. We could already be enjoying blazing speeds and the economic benefits that come with -- increased productivity, attracting companies & investment, education & research, etc. But they took the wait and see approach and thought VDSL would be sufficient for years to come.

Maybe in another 10 years we'll see the benefits...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.07.2008, 12:57
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,941
Groaned at 337 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 11,189 Times in 3,878 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
Good news indeed - you can never have enough bandwidth :-)
I just have to wait for Cablecom's response...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.07.2008, 13:06
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,027
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
I just have to wait for Cablecom's response...

I've never used Cablecom, I was looking into changing from Swisscom as Cablecom were offering some pretty attractive deals but I heard nothing but bad news about customer support. I stuck with Swissy and after a few weeks they upped their bandwidth for free anyway. I'm on the CHF 49 fixed rate - just as well as I seem to use the Internet rather a lot these days
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.07.2008, 14:18
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
I just have to wait for Cablecom's response...
????

Swisscom upgrading their 3500/300 package to 5000/500 was Swisscom's response to Cablecom's upgrade to 5000/500 announced in February this year, and has been available from March. Cablecom is 45.- / month, with new subscribers getting 50% discount for the first 3 resp. 6 months.

Source.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.07.2008, 14:21
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

The distribution of new cable modems is almost certainly for a significant boost in speeds.

I'm guessing end of Q3 there will be an announcement and Cablecom will step forwards with a considerable increase in speed for the same money.

65 francs for 15Mbps connection is fine by me. 65 francs for 30Mbps or 50Mbps is also fine
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.08.2008, 07:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mies
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
medhi has no particular reputation at present
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

thanks,
But bluewin does not provide the speed it claims in many parts of Switzerland. e.g. For 49SF(standard DSL) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 1200, in many places one gets a maxmum of around 300.

With mini DSL(34SF) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 300, in many places one gets around 100!
In other words, with standard(49SF) one gets the maximum speed of around 300 !! which is equivalent of the minimum download speed of MINIDSL (34SF). And for mini DSL also one gets a maximum of 100-130 ( a third of the minimum and a tenth of the max.of claimed speed of dowload!!

Test your speed with Speed test.ch and see where you stand. You may get surprise how bluewin overcharges. Then you may wish to contact bluewin-of course you may not get a satisfactory answer!!
cheers

Quote:
View Post
Press release here:

http://www.swisscom.com/GHQ/content/...te.htm?lang=en

Key changes:

1) If you currently have DSL Standard for 49 CHF/month, your speed will be increased from 3,500/300 to 5,000/500 for the same price.

2) DSL Extra at 5,000kbps is renamed to DSL Standard and the price drops 10 CHF/month to 49CHF.

3) New 'DSL Start' Abo for those who would like Bluewin TV without paying for DSL access. No monthly fee, but 3CHF/hour for access at speeds of 300/100.

4) New lowest price flat-rate subscription is 'DSL Mini' at 1000/100 for 34CHF.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.08.2008, 13:53
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,373
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
Finally Swisscom is starting to plan and invest (8bn CHF) for fibre to the home (FTTH). Source (In German: http://www.weltwoche.ch/artikel/?Ass...&CategoryID=62)

This could have been started years ago (like S. Korea) with Swisscom's huge profits and in a country of this scale. We could already be enjoying blazing speeds and the economic benefits that come with -- increased productivity, attracting companies & investment, education & research, etc. But they took the wait and see approach and thought VDSL would be sufficient for years to come.

Maybe in another 10 years we'll see the benefits...
FTTN (and FTTB too) allready exists in many parts of CH. So fiber is in place. It's just a matter of running the "last-mile" (well, last few meters actually) connections into peoples apartments/houses that will take a long time. With current VDSL they use the existing copper-wire to your apartment up to the FO point, since it's quicker to roll it out like that.

There's a good picture on page 3 (the rest of the presentation is also a good read)

http://www.swisscom.ch/NR/rdonlyres/...ldemann_en.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.08.2008, 18:40
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 115
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
nathan-rahl has no particular reputation at present
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
I've never used Cablecom, I was looking into changing from Swisscom as Cablecom were offering some pretty attractive deals but I heard nothing but bad news about customer support. I stuck with Swissy and after a few weeks they upped their bandwidth for free anyway. I'm on the CHF 49 fixed rate - just as well as I seem to use the Internet rather a lot these days
i wouldnt recommend cablecom either, they **** big time. i am trying to cut a connection of a friend who already left the country, and his connection is already more than a year, so no contract anymore, and they want 3 months more before they will cut it. and that is just a new policy of theirs, cause a month ago, a friend of mine cuts his cablecom internet and he did not experience the 3 months.

guess i'll have to look at this swisscom offer
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.08.2008, 18:59
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 969
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
i wouldnt recommend cablecom either, they **** big time. i am trying to cut a connection of a friend who already left the country, and his connection is already more than a year, so no contract anymore, and they want 3 months more before they will cut it. and that is just a new policy of theirs, cause a month ago, a friend of mine cuts his cablecom internet and he did not experience the 3 months.

guess i'll have to look at this swisscom offer
It's not a new policy - I had to give 3 months notice almost 2 years ago when I wanted to quit them, despite having had cablemodem for something like 3 or 4 years.

If you are deregistering from Switzerland I belive that you can cancel with immediate effect on production of your deregistration papers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31.08.2008, 11:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mies
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
medhi has no particular reputation at present
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Thanks
This is what their advertisement says!!. But you can get that upgrade only in certain places. In our village (10 KM from Geneva; 1.5Km from versioix) the maximum technically possible from STANDARD is about 310 and from DSLmini 134!!. The reason: we are fatr from telephone centre of versiox. But Swisscome still charges 49 SF for Standard which provides only about 30% of the minimum speed for MINI DSL!! Good business!!


Quote:
View Post
thanks,
But bluewin does not provide the speed it claims in many parts of Switzerland. e.g. For 49SF(standard DSL) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 1200, in many places one gets a maxmum of around 300.

With mini DSL(34SF) one is supposed to get a minimum download speed of 300, in many places one gets around 100!
In other words, with standard(49SF) one gets the maximum speed of around 300 !! which is equivalent of the minimum download speed of MINIDSL (34SF). And for mini DSL also one gets a maximum of 100-130 ( a third of the minimum and a tenth of the max.of claimed speed of dowload!!

Test your speed with Speed test.ch and see where you stand. You may get surprise how bluewin overcharges. Then you may wish to contact bluewin-of course you may not get a satisfactory answer!!
cheers
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.08.2008, 11:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mies
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
medhi has no particular reputation at present
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Please note that cablecom provides connection only in cities not in villages

Quote:
View Post
i wouldnt recommend cablecom either, they **** big time. i am trying to cut a connection of a friend who already left the country, and his connection is already more than a year, so no contract anymore, and they want 3 months more before they will cut it. and that is just a new policy of theirs, cause a month ago, a friend of mine cuts his cablecom internet and he did not experience the 3 months.

guess i'll have to look at this swisscom offer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.08.2008, 11:23
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,941
Groaned at 337 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 11,189 Times in 3,878 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
Please note that cablecom provides connection only in cities not in villages
You can never make 100% certain statements about Switzerland! I live in a village (we even have no church) and have Cablecom...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31.08.2008, 11:36
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,511
Groaned at 45 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,363 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
Please note that cablecom provides connection only in cities not in villages
If you wan't to find out if cablecom is available at your place, you can enter your address (street, house number, ZIP code) on the cablecom web site.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 31.08.2008, 12:13
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 969
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More bandwidth and lower prices from Swisscom DSL

Quote:
View Post
You can never make 100% certain statements about Switzerland! I live in a village (we even have no church) and have Cablecom...
No church????!!!

That means no damn churchbells - fantastic! I take it you want to keep the location a closely guarded secret lest you be overrun by people seeking refuge from the never-ending clanging of the bells.......

(And cablemodem internet too! The place sounds like paradise )
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adsl, bluewin, dsl, swisscom




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to live in Basel-area to lower taxes adam007 Housing in general 8 27.10.2009 22:24
(Insurance) five year contract (obligatory?) (lower premiums?) eireann Insurance 1 13.07.2007 22:13
3rd Party VOIP on Cable/DSL? bozothedeathmachine TV/internet/telephone 3 25.05.2007 09:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0