Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.08.2020, 14:28
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 128
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

I have been a UPC customer for a long time. Currently I have a 300 Mbps internet subscription from UPC (79 CHF/month). Recently, they have updated their offerings and now have 3 options for 100, 600 and 1000 Mbps.

I noticed that the price that I'm paying for my current subscription is the same as the new 600 Mbps. So I tried to change my subscription on their website. It did not work. A popup came and told me to talk to the customer service.

I called the customer service, asking about switching to 600. I mentioned that I am not asking for any promotional price they might currently have as I'm happy to pay the full price. The customer service lady answered that there is no way for existing customers to get this subscription and I can only upgrade to the highest tier, i.e. the 1000 Mbps.

I posted about this on UPC forum, and guess what, they gave me the same answer and specifically confirmed that the 600 option is NOT available to the existing clients.

It seems to me that basically, UPC is suggesting that I should cancel my subscription and then join again as a new customer! Huh, I bet this way I would even qualify for the promotional 50% discount!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.08.2020, 14:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,470
Groaned at 299 Times in 228 Posts
Thanked 19,498 Times in 6,789 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

79 CHF per month for 300 Mbit (+ the connection fee of course) is too much money. For example, Sunrise now has an offer for 45 CHF for a 1 Gbit as a 2 year discount. After 2 years you change again of course.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:01
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,661
Groaned at 586 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,719 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
I have been a UPC customer for a long time. Currently I have a 300 Mbps internet subscription from UPC (79 CHF/month). Recently, they have updated their offerings and now have 3 options for 100, 600 and 1000 Mbps.

I noticed that the price that I'm paying for my current subscription is the same as the new 600 Mbps. So I tried to change my subscription on their website. It did not work. A popup came and told me to talk to the customer service.

I called the customer service, asking about switching to 600. I mentioned that I am not asking for any promotional price they might currently have as I'm happy to pay the full price. The customer service lady answered that there is no way for existing customers to get this subscription and I can only upgrade to the highest tier, i.e. the 1000 Mbps.

I posted about this on UPC forum, and guess what, they gave me the same answer and specifically confirmed that the 600 option is NOT available to the existing clients.

It seems to me that basically, UPC is suggesting that I should cancel my subscription and then join again as a new customer! Huh, I bet this way I would even qualify for the promotional 50% discount!
They're "programmed" to say no at the first request. Don't accept it and then they'll eventually give you a better offer. Worse case you threaten to cancel your contract and go to another provider. I go through this little charade every year and it never fails to work!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:08
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,371
Groaned at 356 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 12,354 Times in 4,224 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

I'm an existing customer on 600 Mbps.

Been with them since they were called Redifusion, and then as dialup. I have never asked to go faster, they have bumped it up over the years. The last upgrade they forced on me with the new TV box and modem.

Not sure you will notice any difference with 600....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:16
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

I am om 1000 Mbps + land line + TV stuff for CHF118 per month. Is that a bad deal?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:20
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,614
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,460 Times in 7,743 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
I am om 1000 Mbps + land line + TV stuff for CHF118 per month. Is that a bad deal?
yes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:27
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
yes
Hmm but the cheapest I see on Sunrise for same 1Gbit/s deal is CHF125?

My CHF 118 with UPC incluses the CHF39 socket fee or whatever it is called!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:36
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Just call again and ask to cancel subscription (if you have no more contract left) because you are switching to sunrise.

I got to keep my subscription that I was paying 79 CHF and they matched the sunrise offer which was 29 CHF (no time limit)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:39
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 128
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
79 CHF per month for 300 Mbit (+ the connection fee of course) is too much money. For example, Sunrise now has an offer for 45 CHF for a 1 Gbit as a 2 year discount. After 2 years you change again of course.
Well, you see, at my place we do not have FTTH yet so my only options are VDSL or cable. So, yep...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:42
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 128
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
I'm an existing customer on 600 Mbps.

Been with them since they were called Redifusion, and then as dialup. I have never asked to go faster, they have bumped it up over the years. The last upgrade they forced on me with the new TV box and modem.

Not sure you will notice any difference with 600....
That was my experience in the past as well. I started with 50 Mbps and got upgraded automatically each time they changed their service offerings to the current 300.


You are right that 600 vs 300 might not be a big deal. However, to know that I'm paying the same price for half the speed is kinda painful.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:54
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,391
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,364 Times in 597 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

It still surprises me how people aren't on salt... 40-50CHF for 10gig internet, TV and an (albeit crappy) apple TV...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 714
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 295 Posts
gipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputation
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

I am pretty much doomed to UPC, as my old building doesn't get fiber nor Sunrise's higher speeds (apparently according to them).
And those 4/5G "plug-and-go" modems are not an option, due to instability/signal within the building.

Currently on 300mpbs, paying too much (65), and encountered the 600 offer just as you did, but through a promo website where it costs something like 22CHF.
So if they will not be willing to update my package, I am happy to cancel my contract (with a month or 2 notice), and reregister as a "new" customer under this 3x cheaper setup.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gipfelisturmer for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 21.08.2020, 00:17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 156
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 79 Posts
spark is considered knowledgeablespark is considered knowledgeablespark is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Amateurs. I pay 49 CHF p.m. for 1Gbit with Cablecom


Quote:
They're "programmed" to say no at the first request. Don't accept it and then they'll eventually give you a better offer
Can confirm. Customer rep I had to call at first to discuss cancellation/abo change was less than useless. Sent them a cancellation letter and got promptly a callback from a man in charge and suddenly no problem whatsoever getting any promotional offer i want and it didn't matter new or old customer
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank spark for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 21.08.2020, 12:35
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,135
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
They're "programmed" to say no at the first request. Don't accept it and then they'll eventually give you a better offer. Worse case you threaten to cancel your contract and go to another provider. I go through this little charade every year and it never fails to work!
That's what I did. Well, I didn't threaten, I just cancelled. And they came running, going out of their way to make me a totally special, custom designed offer.
Had that for a few years but left, when we got connected to fibre-optic network.

It sure is a whole new world for us oldies, that's a fact. In them ol' days promoting customer loyalty was the thing. Now it's gaining new customers - even if that means "aus alt mach neu" (changing old ones into new ones).
smile.ch works the same.

Quote:
View Post
I am pretty much doomed to UPC, as my old building doesn't get fiber nor Sunrise's higher speeds (apparently according to them).....
That's true, we have the same situation. The only way out was the fiber that came last year.
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 22.08.2020, 01:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,378
Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,471 Times in 6,471 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
I am pretty much doomed to UPC, as my old building doesn't get fiber nor Sunrise's higher speeds (apparently according to them).
And those 4/5G "plug-and-go" modems are not an option, due to instability/signal within the building.
Sunrise is being taken over by UPC's owner company Liberty Media (LM), so Sunrise may probably not be an option for you at the moment anyways.

Salt is affected by the takeover as well because their joint venture with Sunrise to lay 1-2mln FTTH has been put on hold.

Speculative comments say that LM may plan to sell the resulting company UPC+Sunrise, but if that's the case it'll take quite some time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22.08.2020, 08:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,037
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,108 Times in 8,066 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

Quote:
View Post
It sure is a whole new world for us oldies, that's a fact. In them ol' days promoting customer loyalty was the thing. Now it's gaining new customers - even if that means "aus alt mach neu" (changing old ones into new ones).
Indeed.

I've slowly come to realise that it no longer makes sense to be a loyal customer. I probably paid well over the odds for years by clinging to that outdated notion.

Nowadays I just cancel most contracts on the first possible date - and then wait for the 'new customer' offers to roll in. Save a fortune that way.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 31.08.2020, 16:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 714
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 295 Posts
gipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputation
Re: Is UPC interested in keeping exisiting customers?

To quote myself...
Quote:
View Post
Currently on 300mpbs, paying too much (65), and encountered the 600 offer just as you did, but through a promo website where it costs something like 22CHF.
So if they will not be willing to update my package, I am happy to cancel my contract (with a month or 2 notice), and reregister as a "new" customer under this 3x cheaper setup.
And there we go:
I sent in the request that I want to cancel my contract.
They called me and asked why.
I told them about the deal (i.e. there is a newcomer promotion - 600mbps for 39CHF).
They said they will activate that same promotion on my old account, active immediately.

That script works pretty much every time IME.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gipfelisturmer for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
internet access, upc




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to find new customers??? – Help Needed cangarooo Business & entrepreneur 8 10.07.2017 17:24
Phishing attack on PostFinance customers jrspet Finance/banking/taxation 3 07.09.2015 18:36
3 customers for establishing a company? Y'sul Business & entrepreneur 10 19.10.2014 07:53
Raiffeisen to terminate all US customers Dual US/Swiss Citizen Finance/banking/taxation 172 01.09.2012 18:20
collecting TVA from non-Swiss customers for Sarl Mark GMAS Business & entrepreneur 7 28.01.2008 17:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0