Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.12.2020, 14:56
CHnuschti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts
CHnuschti has earned some respectCHnuschti has earned some respect
Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

https://www.qoqa.ch/de/offers/32070

qoqa offer only today, 3% left (?) as displayed now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CHnuschti for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 03.12.2020, 17:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
Spaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeable
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

To be fair I'm paying 50 Chf for the same on an earlier offer and I'm really impressed so far since it was enabled a few weeks ago. Pre-activation was really well handled and it was activated 3 days after the they finally sorted the OTO ID availabity (management company mob had the BEP marked as in maintenance blocking it) which was 2 days earlier than forecast.

Speed wise its mental - maxes out my Gigabit dongle into my Macbook Pro solidly over ethernet and my UK mates are properly jealous about the upload speeds. I need to consider a 2.5Gbit or 10Gbit dongle (these are stupidly expensive) to really blast it even more.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.12.2020, 17:31
ZoeTheCat's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Somewhere in CH
Posts: 68
Groaned at 16 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
ZoeTheCat has made some interesting contributions
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

So whats the catch?

There's always a catch with Sunrise....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZoeTheCat for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 03.12.2020, 17:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,044
Groaned at 48 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,232 Times in 739 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Usually these deals come with "if you're already on our 99/month mobile plan" or something like that, or 200 CHF set-up fee.


I did try to get sunrise once and they 'lost' my order. After weeks and then months of following up with them where they said they're on it, in the end they just shrugged their shoulders.



The catch for me is that my old laptop is limited to 100Mbps via ethernet or I think 50Mbps wifi so I never bother with anything more, but I still pay 39 per month for 100Mbps which is more than the sunrise offer.


To be honest I'm completely satisfied when I go to my other house and have to use the 4G internet.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.12.2020, 17:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 74
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
HomesickAlready has made some interesting contributions
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Actually no catch, I took one of their earlier deals in 2019, and they have been solid. I moved apartments recently, and wasn't able to get a connection at the new place. They let me leave the contract with just a few grumbles.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.12.2020, 17:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,970
Groaned at 289 Times in 218 Posts
Thanked 17,918 Times in 6,290 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

I took the 2017 deal, which was originally 100 Mbit and later upgraded for free to 1 Gbit. Thanks to Sunrise combination discounts I pay 18.50 CHF per month
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.12.2020, 18:23
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,997
Groaned at 283 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 7,522 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
To be fair I'm paying 50 Chf for the same on an earlier offer and I'm really impressed so far since it was enabled a few weeks ago. Pre-activation was really well handled and it was activated 3 days after the they finally sorted the OTO ID availabity (management company mob had the BEP marked as in maintenance blocking it) which was 2 days earlier than forecast.

Speed wise its mental - maxes out my Gigabit dongle into my Macbook Pro solidly over ethernet and my UK mates are properly jealous about the upload speeds. I need to consider a 2.5Gbit or 10Gbit dongle (these are stupidly expensive) to really blast it even more.
I took an earlier deal too, at CHF 39/month, and only just activated it in October. I was surprised to see a "one-time activation fee" of CHF 79 on my first bill. I had understood that this would not apply to the QoQa deal. Did you have to pay an activation fee?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.12.2020, 18:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,970
Groaned at 289 Times in 218 Posts
Thanked 17,918 Times in 6,290 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
I took an earlier deal too, at CHF 39/month, and only just activated it in October. I was surprised to see a "one-time activation fee" of CHF 79 on my first bill. I had understood that this would not apply to the QoQa deal. Did you have to pay an activation fee?
There was always an activation fee. You can see it here for the previous offer: https://www.qoqa.ch/de/offers/27817
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.12.2020, 19:14
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,997
Groaned at 283 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 7,522 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
There was always an activation fee. You can see it here for the previous offer: https://www.qoqa.ch/de/offers/27817
I found the order confirmation from Sunrise, in my email inbox. From their email:

sunrise-10gbit-where-available-35-chf-mth-permanent-qoqa-sunrise.png

So I have answered my own query.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.12.2020, 21:36
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Vaud
Posts: 101
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Gravity has earned some respectGravity has earned some respect
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

https://www.qoqa.ch/de/offers/32070

qoqa offer only today, 3% left (?) as displayed now.

but what tech is it? I have tested Sunrise via my mobile phone, it has really poor reception at my appartment, 1 to 3 Mbps, even though in front of the building it's ~80Mbps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.12.2020, 23:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
Spaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeable
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
but what tech is it? I have tested Sunrise via my mobile phone, it has really poor reception at my appartment, 1 to 3 Mbps, even though in front of the building it's ~80Mbps.

It's via standard glass fibre into your flat/house etc. via the standard port - if you don't have fibre in your building you don't have a prayer of getting > 1 Gbit speeds.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Spaceghost for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 04.12.2020, 00:38
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,997
Groaned at 283 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 7,522 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
It's via standard glass fibre into your flat/house etc. via the standard port - if you don't have fibre in your building you don't have a prayer of getting > 1 Gbit speeds.
Correct, no fibre where I live, and I'm getting 112 Mbps download, 41 Mbps upload with Sunrise Unlimited -- just tested it two hours ago. That's probably the fastest I can expect from any carrier over copper. Even if you do have fibre, you still won't get near 1Gbps.

At least I finally sorted out the blank spots in my wifi (like zero reception below ground) by installing a mesh router and two satellites -- now we have exactly the same coverage and speed everywhere in the house, garden and driveway. Perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.12.2020, 07:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
Spaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeable
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
Even if you do have fibre, you still won't get near 1Gbps.
I constantly get well over 900MB/sec in both directions with Sunrise 10Gbit (i.e. pretty much Gigabit speeds) - I'm constrained by my Gigabit thunderbold to ethernet adaptor (which really needs to be upgraded to a higher one to get better speeds) not the Sunrise link . Even over Wifi (2019 MBP) I get top 700Mb/sec - each way again I'm constrained by the Wifi card in the machine. These are the kind of speeds which make my UK mates drool

Quick example today:


Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Spaceghost for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 04.12.2020, 12:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Speed tests as such could be misleading. Internet providers can apply traffic shaping algorithms when they see client is connecting to speed test sites. I am pretty sure you get good speed regularly, but need to keep in mind that Internet provider have magic hat

Since this promotion expired, I wonder what happens after 1 year contract? Do they start charging the regular price?

Quote:
View Post
I constantly get well over 900MB/sec in both directions with Sunrise 10Gbit (i.e. pretty much Gigabit speeds) - I'm constrained by my Gigabit thunderbold to ethernet adaptor (which really needs to be upgraded to a higher one to get better speeds) not the Sunrise link . Even over Wifi (2019 MBP) I get top 700Mb/sec - each way again I'm constrained by the Wifi card in the machine. These are the kind of speeds which make my UK mates drool

Quick example today:
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.12.2020, 16:06
CHnuschti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts
CHnuschti has earned some respectCHnuschti has earned some respect
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
Speed wise its mental - maxes out my Gigabit dongle into my Macbook Pro solidly over ethernet and my UK mates are properly jealous about the upload speeds. I need to consider a 2.5Gbit or 10Gbit dongle (these are stupidly expensive) to really blast it even more.

I'm wondering. So you did get the appropriate "10Gbit router" from sunrise?

That one as displayed in the qoqa offer of yesterday indeed has a maximum of 1Gbit in and out, so it gave me a chuckle about the inconsequence.

But sunrise also has a newer box:
https://www.sunrise.ch/de/privatkund...modem-kennen/1
that can deliver 10Gbit in AND out, unlike the actual Swisscom Fiber box coming along with their 10Gbit offer, just to mention.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CHnuschti for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 04.12.2020, 18:25
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,997
Groaned at 283 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 7,522 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
Since this promotion expired, I wonder what happens after 1 year contract? Do they start charging the regular price?
I don't know about that particular offer, but with my earlier QoQa/Sunrise deal, the cost is fixed for life (and the contract is for only one year). The latest offer is slightly cheaper than mine and I expect costs to keep coming down for a long time yet.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04.12.2020, 19:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 8 Posts
gizmondo has earned some respectgizmondo has earned some respect
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

This is purely a marketing ploy, right? IIRC almost all consumer devices have 1Gbit network cards at best, so this bandwidth is never utilized. And it's pretty hard to exhaust even 1Gbit regardless. Well, unless you try to run a video-streaming service from your home, I guess?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05.12.2020, 00:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,044
Groaned at 48 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,232 Times in 739 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
This is purely a marketing ploy, right? IIRC almost all consumer devices have 1Gbit network cards at best, so this bandwidth is never utilized. And it's pretty hard to exhaust even 1Gbit regardless. Well, unless you try to run a video-streaming service from your home, I guess?

Seeing as the price is similar to what you have to pay for 50Mbps, not getting 10Gbps doesn't really matter as long as you're getting maximum your devices can cope with, which for me is 100Mbps, which still costs me 39.90 per month. Having said that, I'm sure there are lots of people who don't realise they won't get anywhere near the 10Gbps without having to make upgrades. I'm o 100Mbps and never think I need anything faster. Maybe if there were 100 other people in my household...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 05.12.2020, 09:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
Spaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeable
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
I'm wondering. So you did get the appropriate "10Gbit router" from sunrise?

That one as displayed in the qoqa offer of yesterday indeed has a maximum of 1Gbit in and out, so it gave me a chuckle about the inconsequence.

But sunrise also has a newer box:
https://www.sunrise.ch/de/privatkund...modem-kennen/1
that can deliver 10Gbit in AND out, unlike the actual Swisscom Fiber box coming along with their 10Gbit offer, just to mention.
Yes - I can confirm that I received the later router with a single 10Gbit LAN port on the back (there are other 1Gbit ones as well for PS4 etc). I ordered maybe 6 weeks ago on the earlier 50CHF a month deal.


Quote:
View Post
Seeing as the price is similar to what you have to pay for 50Mbps, not getting 10Gbps doesn't really matter as long as you're getting maximum your devices can cope with, which for me is 100Mbps, which still costs me 39.90 per month. Having said that, I'm sure there are lots of people who don't realise they won't get anywhere near the 10Gbps without having to make upgrades. I'm o 100Mbps and never think I need anything faster. Maybe if there were 100 other people in my household...
It's the difference in waiting 30 mins to download a massive (say 25GB) 4k movie vs 3 mins. If you're happy waiting 30 minutes then you don't need any faster. I managed with a Sunrise 4G box for the earlier 6 months or so which went between 20-100mbit depending on the time of day (I'm about 30m from the mast), so having something more stable for ony 10 CHF a month more (the 4G box was 39.99/month) was a no brainer.

I think for the price like you mention I'd much rather have 10Gbit than 100Mbit (which some providers would like to give you for your 50chf a month). Most modern devices support Gigabit (assuming you have the correct ethernet cable and havent used an old Cat 5 one).

Quote:
View Post
Speed tests as such could be misleading. Internet providers can apply traffic shaping algorithms when they see client is connecting to speed test sites. I am pretty sure you get good speed regularly, but need to keep in mind that Internet provider have magic hat

I regularly download large files from usenet via SSL - it constantly maxes out the connection to my laptops Gigabit card at around 105-1088MB/sec on the downloads so for me at least I don't see any major shaping going on compared to say Virgin media in UK who are well known for it especially at peak times. Even if I consistently get Gigabit speeds that's great for the cash.

Last edited by Spaceghost; 05.12.2020 at 09:15.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Spaceghost for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 05.12.2020, 10:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 130
Groaned at 50 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 87 Posts
BoredToDeath has become a little unpopularBoredToDeath has become a little unpopular
Re: Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

Quote:
View Post
Sunrise 10Gbit (where available) for 35 CHF/mth permanent

https://www.qoqa.ch/de/offers/32070

qoqa offer only today, 3% left (?) as displayed now.
With no one traveling and people sitting at home within WiFi range Sunrise comes out with 'Largess' plan.....
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permanent to Contracting HappyCreature Employment 21 04.08.2017 16:05
Sunrise -> Sunrise Business portability MajorGrubert TV/internet/telephone 1 20.03.2015 14:04
Interning while looking for a permanent job PhillyMaria Employment 5 21.06.2011 17:18
Contract Vs Permanent? Mowvich Employment 18 29.12.2010 01:25
L for permanent contract??? finesse Permits/visas/government 5 22.05.2008 17:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0