Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.02.2007, 22:08
APP APP is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
APP has no particular reputation at present
Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Great forum-just have a quick question regards Cablecom digital installation for those who have been there and done it!

I am moving into a new apartment in Lausanne having been in temp accommodation. Have looked through the various theads-Sky looks out of the question as I don't have a balcony. So left with cablecom subscription or going through 'telereseau lausannois' and purchasing their SWISSFUN decoder to pick up som extra English channels (BBC 1, 2)

Looks like cablecom digital is the best option as it also carries ITV 1 and 2 and they are running a promotion at the minute. I was wondering if there were any specific installation procedures for digital cablecom i.e. does a guy need to come into the apartment and install the receiver and cable or is it all done remotely with the box sent through the post? If so, would be interested to know people's experience in terms of time taken to get everything up and running from the time they registered.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.02.2007, 22:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,291
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Cablecom will send you the receiver. All you need to be sure of is that the apartment has a cable connection. I'd be surprised if it didn't, but you never know.

If the apartment does not have a cable connection, I don't know who you would have to contact to have one installed.

If the apartment does have cable and you would like to enjoy the payment free advantages that a satelite dish would have to offer, then I suggest doing some research into installing a Dreambox.

There is a lot of information on this forum regarding the advantages of a Dreambox installation (like being able to receive all cable channels for free).

It does require a few extra steps, in other words to do this you would have to go beyond 'out of the box', but not too far beyond.

If you are in any way technically inclined, then it would be equal to downloading and installing software.

Check out this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.02.2007, 08:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Quote:
Great forum-just have a quick question regards Cablecom digital installation for those who have been there and done it!

I am moving into a new apartment in Lausanne having been in temp accommodation. Have looked through the various theads-Sky looks out of the question as I don't have a balcony. So left with cablecom subscription or going through 'telereseau lausannois' and purchasing their SWISSFUN decoder to pick up som extra English channels (BBC 1, 2)

Looks like cablecom digital is the best option as it also carries ITV 1 and 2 and they are running a promotion at the minute. I was wondering if there were any specific installation procedures for digital cablecom i.e. does a guy need to come into the apartment and install the receiver and cable or is it all done remotely with the box sent through the post? If so, would be interested to know people's experience in terms of time taken to get everything up and running from the time they registered.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
IF you go on the Cablecom website you can give in the details of your apartment and it will tell you if you are connected and capable of receiving a digital quality signal. If you are then simply apply. If not then simply apply but ... In this case you will not simply receive the box, instead a process will start in the background to have your apartment block "upgraded". This will be transparent to you unless the owner of the apartment block refuses to accept the additional cost this will incur. If I am not mistaken it is something like SFr 2 per month and apartment so it is not a given although by far the majority of apartment owners see the advantage. In the latter case expect a delay of ca 2 months. Note also that in this case a dreambox will not work...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.02.2007, 22:32
APP APP is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
APP has no particular reputation at present
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Thanks for the info-checking out the Dreambox option although I'm worried about the risk of forking out 400 CHF and it not working. Do you know of any channel listings the Dreambox hacks into in Switz?

Cheers

APP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.02.2007, 22:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,291
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

First off, you shouldn't pay more than about 280-300 chf for a 500c. Unless of course you're buying with a Gemini image installed. Then the convenience is probably worth it if you're not confident enough to do DIY.

Then check out this thread on i-have-a-dreambox.com. A mate of mine gets his Swiss channel listings through a Greek channel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.03.2007, 13:04
MrWhereItsAt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 122
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MrWhereItsAt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Quote:
IF you go on the Cablecom website you can give in the details of your apartment and it will tell you if you are connected and capable of receiving a digital quality signal. If you are then simply apply. If not then simply apply but ... In this case you will not simply receive the box, instead a process will start in the background to have your apartment block "upgraded". This will be transparent to you unless the owner of the apartment block refuses to accept the additional cost this will incur. If I am not mistaken it is something like SFr 2 per month and apartment so it is not a given although by far the majority of apartment owners see the advantage. In the latter case expect a delay of ca 2 months. Note also that in this case a dreambox will not work...
Is this something that a foreigner who doesn't know how the systems works really wants to do? According to cablecom.ch the apartment I will move to in just over a month's time does not have hi-speed net or digital phone services, but DOES have digital TV. I'm not quite sure how that works, since I was led to believe that, in order to get cable net access, one only needed to have the cable already installed. And how else is the digital TV accessible than through the cable...? Or perhaps, since digital TV implies the cable is already installed, the lack of hi-speed net access means that getting cablecom to put this in place will require less time/work than otherwise (i.e. a hardware install outside of the apartment block only)..? Any thoughts on that idea?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.09.2008, 15:54
Swissaholic's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 123
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Swissaholic has made some interesting contributions
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Quote:
View Post
According to cablecom.ch the apartment I will move to in just over a month's time does not have hi-speed net or digital phone services, but DOES have digital TV.
I had the same problem so I was forced to sign up with Citycable and they dont have all the British Channels I wanted, so now looking for an alternative. For the moment I am using Online Streaming on my laptop which is ok.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.09.2008, 17:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 806
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 659 Times in 273 Posts
HeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Quote:
View Post
I had the same problem so I was forced to sign up with Citycable and they dont have all the British Channels I wanted, so now looking for an alternative. For the moment I am using Online Streaming on my laptop which is ok.
Hey Swissaholic,

Have you considered Bluewin TV from Swisscom? They have BBC 1–4 and ITV 1–4, plus a few other English channels and all the local ones, too. We have our TV, phone and internet in a bundle package, and it's actually not a bad deal. The TV costs I think 19 CHF a month for 120 channels. We also managed to save a few chuffs by cancelling our cable connection completely. We ordered everything online, our stuff arrived in the mail, and we did the installation ourselves. Easy peasy. (Or so says she whose husband actually did all the work.)

Anywho.

Heather
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HeatherM for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 05.09.2008, 16:08
Swissaholic's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 123
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Swissaholic has made some interesting contributions
Re: Installation of Cablecom Digital (Lausanne)

Quote:
View Post
Hey Swissaholic,

Have you considered Bluewin TV from Swisscom? They have BBC 14 and ITV 14, plus a few other English channels and all the local ones, too. We have our TV, phone and internet in a bundle package, and it's actually not a bad deal. The TV costs I think 19 CHF a month for 120 channels. We also managed to save a few chuffs by cancelling our cable connection completely. We ordered everything online, our stuff arrived in the mail, and we did the installation ourselves. Easy peasy. (Or so says she whose husband actually did all the work.)

Anywho.

Heather
Unfortunately, out of fear or not having an internet connection (is there an Internetic Anonymous?) I signed up to Citycable for a year as the apartment i moved into already had a connection with them. I did check what they had to offer and noticed that they did have quite a few British Channels but as the website is all French I didn't realise that I needed a special decoder (Swissfun) to watch all the British Channels - the HD receiver in my TV isnt good enough. So I'll be off hunting for this Swissfun Decoder this weekend (not much on the net about it actually so I hope I don't end up with a lemon for the 200Chf. From what I gather Nokia makes it but Im not able to find out any specs from their website.. hmm).
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using your DVR with a cablecom digital decoder citybird TV/internet/telephone 10 11.02.2010 19:19
English language TV with Cablecom Digital TV jordinas TV/internet/telephone 10 25.02.2007 10:55
Cablecom Digital TV Dual Language Problem AbFab TV/internet/telephone 24 10.02.2007 11:34
Newbie - Cablecom Digital TV Connection DUTCH TV/internet/telephone 1 30.01.2007 08:27
Cablecom Digital racquelle TV/internet/telephone 11 06.07.2006 14:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0