English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL ) (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/52759-intermittent-internet-access-sunrise-adsl.html)

ipoddle 07.06.2009 11:45

Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
Hi

My Sunrise internet connection works fine during the day.. but come the evening it continually drops the connection..

..anybody else experiencing anything similar ?

esto 07.06.2009 12:03

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Are you referring to fixed-line ADSL or wireless HSDPA connection?

crimson 07.06.2009 12:23

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
we had sunrise at our previous place and never had a problem. since we moved in our new appartment (10 mins walking from the old one) we have big problems with our connection (especially me). i get disconnected all the time and sometimes it takes a few attempts until i am able to connect again. some times nothing else works but restarting the modem. it's quite annoying and i cannot explain why it happens much more to me than my boyfriend? hmmm..

ipoddle 07.06.2009 16:07

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
I'm referring to the ADSL link.. my LAN stays up, and, as I said, it's nothing in my config as it's working fine during the day.. it's really annoying.. I'm just wondering if it's a 'peak demand' type of issue..

Slaphead 07.06.2009 16:20

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipoddle (Post 470917)
I'm referring to the ADSL link.. my LAN stays up, and, as I said, it's nothing in my config as it's working fine during the day.. it's really annoying.. I'm just wondering if it's a 'peak demand' type of issue..

Sounds like it's a peak demand type of thing. You could have a high contention ratio where you live (lots of people using the same ADSL circut), and if you're quite far from the exchange, lots of other users could degrade the signal your getting causing the router/modem to drop the connection.

I'd have a word with sunrise about this.

esto 07.06.2009 20:03

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaphead (Post 470918)
Sounds like it's a peak demand type of thing. You could have a high contention ratio where you live (lots of people using the same ADSL circut), and if you're quite far from the exchange, lots of other users could degrade the signal your getting causing the router/modem to drop the connection.

Actually, cable (ex: Cablecom) is a shared medium where other users will reduce your speeds at peak times. xDSL (ex: Swisscom, Sunrise) the connection between you and the nearest switch is a dedicated bandwidth, so other users downloading won't affect your bandwidth. Altho, I agree in this case it sounds like some type of congestion, and could be that some other part of the network is underdimensioned.

Chuff 10.06.2009 18:42

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by esto (Post 471008)
Actually, cable (ex: Cablecom) is a shared medium where other users will reduce your speeds at peak times. xDSL (ex: Swisscom, Sunrise) the connection between you and the nearest switch is a dedicated bandwidth, so other users downloading won't affect your bandwidth. Altho, I agree in this case it sounds like some type of congestion, and could be that some other part of the network is underdimensioned.

ADSL+/2+ is also a shared connection, to get your "own" pipe space you need a business connection with no contention ratio, which costs a fortune.

andrewF 10.06.2009 19:12

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
No problem with connection dropping here but I am paying for 15Mb/s connection but 99% of the time I am getting 7Mb/s. Can I ask for some discount?

CH_Me 10.06.2009 19:49

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipoddle (Post 470820)
Hi

My Sunrise internet connection works fine during the day.. but come the evening it continually drops the connection..

..anybody else experiencing anything similar ?

Do you have an adsl filter (little grey plug) plugged into the telephone socket where your modem is plugged into? Do all your phone extentions have adsl filters connected? If not, incomming calls can cause the adsl to disconnect. Buy them for all telephone sockets that you have a phone plugged into.

ipoddle 10.06.2009 20:12

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Thanks for the responses.. it's all wired in correctly.. I'm now starting to wonder if they're throttling traffic as I'm moving quite a lot of data around ;).. anyone seen anything similar ?

esto 11.06.2009 10:27

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewF (Post 473234)
No problem with connection dropping here but I am paying for 15Mb/s connection but 99% of the time I am getting 7Mb/s. Can I ask for some discount?

I have Swisscom VDSL and always get my promised 16Mbps. I have a feeling Sunrise either horribly underdimensions their network, or doesn't have Fiber to the Neighbourhood (FTTN) like Swisscom does (altho, isn't Sunrise ADSL using the Swisscom network at some point?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 473221)
ADSL+/2+ is also a shared connection, to get your "own" pipe space you need a business connection with no contention ratio, which costs a fortune.

Yea, to some degree...but why am I thinking it's somehow worse with cable ...:confused:

Chuff 11.06.2009 10:29

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by esto (Post 473522)
I have Swisscom VDSL and always get my promised 16Mbps. I have a feeling Sunrise either horribly underdimensions their network, or doesn't have Fiber to the Neighbourhood (FTTN) like Swisscom does (altho, isn't Sunrise ADSL using the Swisscom network at some point?)


Yea, to some degree...but why am I thinking it's somehow worse with cable ...:confused:

Not to some degree, normal ratio is 50:1, and causes big slowdowns during heavy periods.

In comparison cable gives a more stable and steady speed.

markalex 11.06.2009 10:50

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
I have a similar problem, dropping connections- but I think it is related to wireless and cordless phones. I lose my wireless connection if I use the cordless phone...
A shot in the dark, but if you are using wireless then you may be picking up somebody elses connection... by accident..

AbelF 28.07.2009 21:11

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
Same thing here, but I get the disconetions over the morning and in the evening everything goes fine. I would love to know what the heck is going on, it just started a few days ago and the internet conection is lost every 2-5 minutes after rebooting the modem.

28.07.2009 22:47

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipoddle (Post 473265)
Thanks for the responses.. it's all wired in correctly.. I'm now starting to wonder if they're throttling traffic as I'm moving quite a lot of data around ;).. anyone seen anything similar ?

Are you experiencing this with wireless or direct cabled connection?

chris_l 28.07.2009 23:09

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
If you are using wifi, you may have some interference from some other device (wifi modem, wireless phone etc), try to enter into the configuration and change the channel. I had this problem and this worked to me.

cheers,

Christian

AbelF 29.07.2009 06:11

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
In my case is a wired conection.

They've been doing constructions in the neighbourhood to install some optic fiber cables for Swisscom, could this have anything to do with it?

ChristianK 29.07.2009 07:50

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson (Post 470833)
we had sunrise at our previous place and never had a problem. since we moved in our new appartment (10 mins walking from the old one) we have big problems with our connection (especially me). i get disconnected all the time and sometimes it takes a few attempts until i am able to connect again. some times nothing else works but restarting the modem. it's quite annoying and i cannot explain why it happens much more to me than my boyfriend? hmmm..

I am experiencing the exact same problem on my connection. 5 calls to Sunrise support has not been fruitful.

markalex 29.07.2009 08:37

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
Are you running MS Vista ...

ChristianK 29.07.2009 09:02

Re: Intermittent Internet Access with Sunrise ( ADSL )
 
Yes, I am using Vista.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:24.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0