English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   Cheaper Sports Package on the way......???? (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/72466-cheaper-sports-package-way.html)

Raaaabert 18.01.2010 12:00

Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...edia-ofcom-sky

UK regulator to mandate sharing open access to SkySports in the UK.

Does this have any potential impact on the pricing of Teleclub sports package in Switzerland, in particular if the EPL television rights get cheaper. At the moment I find the cost economically unacceptable. If it goes down 20+% later in the year then I might consider it. They could at least enable Pay-Per-View Enlgish Premier League for crying out loud!

Thoughts?

baboon 18.01.2010 12:12

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raaaabert (Post 672217)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...edia-ofcom-sky

UK regulator to mandate sharing open access to SkySports in the UK.

Does this have any potential impact on the pricing of Teleclub sports package in Switzerland, in particular if the EPL television rights get cheaper. At the moment I find the cost economically unacceptable. If it goes down 20+% later in the year then I might consider it. They could at least enable Pay-Per-View Enlgish Premier League for crying out loud!

Thoughts?

None whatsoever. This comes from OFCOM and only affects the UK market. Teleclub get their coverage via Sky Germany and this is an unregulated deal which leaves both free to charge what they want (or what the market will bear). Just pi55es me off that Teleclub use this to charge twice as much in Switzerland than Sky Germany customers pay in Germany.

Raaaabert 18.01.2010 12:21

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Rats!

Cheers for the insight.

I heard that Germany also has cheaper Internet access... guess it comes back to the ages old debate on Swiss cost of living versus income. Not all of us are on bankers wages :p

axman 19.01.2010 10:48

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
One reason I moved from cabelcom to satelite is the sport package:

- via satelite, you can subscribe to sports only without having to pay for the basic package.
- teleclub sports = 3 channels only. So if they decide to show the local Zurich derby you don't get the EPL. Via satellite, you can have all 13 (?) channels. Although, I understand bluewin TV is also not limited to 3 channels.

Treverus 19.01.2010 10:57

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raaaabert (Post 672251)
Rats!

Cheers for the insight.

I heard that Germany also has cheaper Internet access... guess it comes back to the ages old debate on Swiss cost of living versus income. Not all of us are on bankers wages :p

Yes. The secret is called "competition". The Swiss providers are great at pretending they are having it, but play very nicely with each other and prefer to keep their average revenue high instead of fighting for more market share.

Raaaabert 19.01.2010 11:01

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 673184)
Yes. The secret is called "competition". The Swiss providers are great at pretending they are having it, but play very nicely with each other and prefer to keep their average revenue high instead of fighting for more market share.

Isnt collusion illegal?

Treverus 19.01.2010 11:13

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raaaabert (Post 673186)
Isnt collusion illegal?

Sure. How do you want to prove it?

Collusion would need a meeting of the CEOs to fix prices, right? Internet connections fees have dropped a lot over the last years in the EU as always the most aggressive player has dropped the price and the others followed. Here, simply nobody is driving this anymore after cablecom has changed its strategy from attacking to "lame" and Sunrise bought Tele2 (the other aggressive one). Now Sunrise is busy with its merger and Swisscom has not reason whatsoever to do something for obvious reasons... it is pretty similar to the Migros/Coop "competition" (at least before Aldi and Lidl joined the market).

Raaaabert 19.01.2010 11:37

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 673199)
Sure. How do you want to prove it?

Collusion would need a meeting of the CEOs to fix prices, right? Internet connections fees have dropped a lot over the last years in the EU as always the most aggressive player has dropped the price and the others followed. Here, simply nobody is driving this anymore after cablecom has changed its strategy from attacking to "lame" and Sunrise bought Tele2 (the other aggressive one). Now Sunrise is busy with its merger and Swisscom has not reason whatsoever to do something for obvious reasons... it is pretty similar to the Migros/Coop "competition" (at least before Aldi and Lidl joined the market).

Im guessing proving collusion/cartel behaviour is pretty difficult at the best of times, let alone here. Enough said. On a similar note, the cost of mobile communications is exorbitant here.

LaneyG 20.01.2010 21:14

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axman (Post 673177)
One reason I moved from cabelcom to satelite is the sport package:

- via satelite, you can subscribe to sports only without having to pay for the basic package.
- teleclub sports = 3 channels only. So if they decide to show the local Zurich derby you don't get the EPL. Via satellite, you can have all 13 (?) channels. Although, I understand bluewin TV is also not limited to 3 channels.


How much is the satellite football?

Alan_Zurich 20.01.2010 21:25

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=∂=sports&discipline= football

You're welcome

Raaaabert 20.01.2010 21:47

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_Zurich (Post 675452)

Yeah been using this for a while now, especially the YES channel, the resolution is a bit lacking though. Still prefer the crispness that only tv can give (not just pluggin the lappy into the LCD)....

axman 21.01.2010 14:58

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneyG (Post 675436)
How much is the satellite football?


Fr.29.90 per month. (via cablecom it would be close to Fr.50, and this is in addition to cablecom digital TV cost)

I should have mentioned one more thing - unlike cablecom, you need to invest in the satellite box which will cost you at least a couple of hundred.

http://www.teleclub.ch/Satellit/PreisePakete.aspx

beansontoast 21.01.2015 13:59

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
It's been a while since the last post on this thread and I wanted to know if there's been any change (i.e. better provider, service or costing) in how best to get the Premier League games at home?

Appreciate the guidance.

P.s. for the record - I have not signed up to an internet or TV package yet, so I can be as flexible as need be to get the best deal

Raaaabert 21.01.2015 14:44

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Wow 4 years old thread comes alive!!

I have a swisscom package, Fibreoptic 20MB/s down, 2MB/s up. It's not the cheapest (110 CHF/m) but I get one inclusive Pay Per View sports per month. All European leagues including EPL.

I watch the best game of the month in HD for free and then if I really need to in the same month pay 4CHF to watch a non-HD game.

IT depends how many games you want to watch per month. If its 2-3 then Pay-per-view is worth it.

EDIT - I've just checked the Swisscom site and the packages have all changed to TV2.0 so I'm not sure if they still offer the "inclusive unit" per month...

baboon 21.01.2015 15:35

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_Zurich (Post 675452)

Sadly now deceased, at least in any meaningful sense. Streaming has become a world more difficult now, particularly as the best HD stream now charges.

Raaaabert 21.01.2015 15:37

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
http://footballstreaming.info/stream...nks/index.html

baboon 21.01.2015 16:46

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raaaabert (Post 2324120)

Thanks - had already found but so far didn't find it as reliable or comprehensive....

baboon 21.01.2015 23:16

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
Actually looking at this evening's performance livetv.sx/en/allupcomingsports/1/ seems to have become interesting.

Apparently those behind myp2p are supplying info

pcman 03.04.2015 20:17

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
@beansontoast: I usually watch BPL via NBC Sports in the US - they broadcast all the games incl. 3pm ones. Send me a pm if you Need help.

FCBarca 29.08.2016 10:48

Re: Cheaper Sports Package on the way......????
 
I watch Primera Liga predominantly and for the past year I paid an extra 20 CHF per month to have Teleclub Sports which got me all the matches in HD. I was quite happy to pay it. But, they were unable to negotiate the fees with the Primera coverage for this season so I just dropped it.


Now looking for ideas otherwise it's crappy streams


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0