Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.06.2010, 01:54
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Hi,

Today I am going to buy a laptop. Just let you know that I am craze of new games. Therefore, I saw a laptop in interdiscount (samsung p580) it cost 1149 CHF. Although my budget is only of 1000 CHF, somehow I managed the amount to buy that PC. However, I am not sure that I should buy that or I can also find other better PC's in lower price... once again the configuration of pc is:

Ram-4GB (DDR3)
CPU- core 2 duo
graphic- nvidia GT330M
HDD-500GB
LCD-15'6"
OS-windows 7 genuine

for DETAIL http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/p...ype=prd_detail


need help please

Last edited by Sam,; 22.06.2010 at 02:06.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.06.2010, 01:56
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,149
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: buying a new PC

PC = Desktop, not a laptop. So which is it ?

Giving the brand and model number helps us to help you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:03
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: buying a new PC

Quote:
View Post
PC = Desktop, not a laptop. So which is it ?
While not being a techie like most on this forum, I disagree - to me a PC is a laptop or a desktop that's "IBM compatible" i.e not a Mac.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:04
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: buying a new PC

Quote:
View Post
PC = Desktop, not a laptop. So which is it ?

Giving the brand and model number helps us to help you.
For ur kind information PC=Personal computer, and it can be both dekstop and laptop. Anyway I am going to buy a laptop
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sam, for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:07
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: buying a new PC

If you're really looking to play the latest games, I'd get a desktop not a laptop, as you can get more power for your money and a nice big screen to see what's going on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:08
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: buying a new PC

Quote:
View Post
For ur kind information PC=Personal computer, and it can be both dekstop and laptop. Anyway I am going to buy a laptop
I have re-edited .. there you can see a website...you can view it from there
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:08
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,149
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: buying a new PC

Interesting laptop. I like the fact that it has 1GB of video RAM.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:10
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: buying a new PC

Quote:
View Post
If you're really looking to play the latest games, I'd get a desktop not a laptop, as you can get more power for your money and a nice big screen to see what's going on.
The problem is, I have to keep on moving every 3 or 6 month so buying a dekstop is not a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:14
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,149
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Specs are here. It says 1GB Memory for Graphics which is useful for modern games.

Quote:
GeForce GT 330M (1GB GDDR3) graphics
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:15
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
View Post
Specs are here. It says 1GB Memory for Graphics which is useful for modern games.
So is that okay if I go with this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:17
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,149
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

I am not an avid gamer. Give it a couple of hours and wait for some hard core gamers on the forum to comment on both the specs as well as the price.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:19
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
View Post
I am not an avid gamer. Give it a couple of hours and wait for some hard core gamers on the forum to comment on both the specs as well as the price.
allright mate and thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:28
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,149
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

No worries.

Were I to buy a laptop for gaming, I'd try to future proof it by getting 8GB of system RAM ( your spec is currently 4GB ) if the machine is capable.

I'd also avoid using the internal keyboard / mouse and ask the salesman to throw in a decent comfortable external keyboard and game controller / mouse.

Sleep well - good night folks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:31
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
View Post
No worries.

Were I to buy a laptop for gaming, I'd try to future proof it by getting 8GB of system RAM ( your spec is currently 4GB ) if the machine is capable.

I'd also avoid using the internal keyboard / mouse and ask the salesman to throw in a decent comfortable external keyboard and game controller / mouse.

Sleep well - good night folks.
Have already planned for keyboard and mouse but RAM is not important thing to consider. Anyway goodnight and sleep well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.06.2010, 02:53
crazysniper's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: schaffhausen
Posts: 187
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
crazysniper has slipped a little
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
Just let you know that I am craze of new games.
If you like gaming on the PC (in general terms) and likes to play new games... forget about laptop. Seriously. Go for a Desktop instead. Unless of course you want to spend like £2500 equivalent or more for a descent gaming laptop.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22.06.2010, 03:11
crazysniper's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: schaffhausen
Posts: 187
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
crazysniper has slipped a little
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
View Post
No worries.

Were I to buy a laptop for gaming, I'd try to future proof it by getting 8GB of system RAM ( your spec is currently 4GB ) if the machine is capable.

I'd also avoid using the internal keyboard / mouse and ask the salesman to throw in a decent comfortable external keyboard and game controller / mouse.

Sleep well - good night folks.
In gaming it doesn't mean you have more memory you can run faster games. Ofcourse it does help but It really all depends on the Graphics Card as this is the one's doing the rendering.

And it doesn't mean you have 1GHz of RAM on the Graphics Card, you can play faster games. Because its all depends on the chipset and the number of stream processing units there is on that graphics card.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.06.2010, 03:52
Sam,'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Killwangen-spreitenbach
Posts: 197
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Sam, has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
View Post
In gaming it doesn't mean you have more memory you can run faster games. Ofcourse it does help but It really all depends on the Graphics Card as this is the one's doing the rendering.

And it doesn't mean you have 1GHz of RAM on the Graphics Card, you can play faster games. Because its all depends on the chipset and the number of stream processing units there is on that graphics card.
CRAZY SNIPER hmm...I think i've heard this name somewhere...do you play DOTA?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22.06.2010, 08:21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 105
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 97 Times in 41 Posts
pwiese has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Toquickly answer your question: stay far far away from that "gamer" laptop!

Why? The CPU is ancient and the gpu is mediocre at best. Sure you will be able to play your occasional game, but this is not even close to a powerful graphics solution. Check www.notebookcheck.com for an overview of mobile graphics cards.

The 1 gb of video ram is a sales trick, the card itself cannot use these for anything except at very high resolutions - why do you think apple sells this card with only 512 mb video memory?

If you really want a gaming laptop, I am afraid that your budget will be a challenge.

Oh and a second note. I love the notion of future proofing pcs by adding 4gb of memory. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.03.2011, 08:27
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 499
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 175 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

Quote:
View Post
Toquickly answer your question: stay far far away from that "gamer" laptop!

Why? The CPU is ancient and the gpu is mediocre at best. Sure you will be able to play your occasional game, but this is not even close to a powerful graphics solution. Check www.notebookcheck.com for an overview of mobile graphics cards.

The 1 gb of video ram is a sales trick, the card itself cannot use these for anything except at very high resolutions - why do you think apple sells this card with only 512 mb video memory?

If you really want a gaming laptop, I am afraid that your budget will be a challenge.

Oh and a second note. I love the notion of future proofing pcs by adding 4gb of memory. Good luck with that.
best advice on this thread...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.03.2011, 20:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aargau
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bea_tea has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice required about buying a Samsung P580 Gamer Laptop

That one isn't so bad, but if you have 1000 CHF budget, you should buy a laptop in East Europe, like Poland or Germany, because it's going to be much cheaper. But on this laptop most of the games should go on high details at +30 FPS
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on Buying a new Laptop Sagar_KD Other/general 40 19.11.2009 17:46
Buying new Laptop - Windows Language mail2rajs TV/internet/telephone 35 15.02.2007 13:10
buying a laptop - new to zurich yanmelb Other/general 24 14.06.2006 14:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0