Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11.10.2010, 01:00
kslausanne's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 412
Groaned at 39 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 565 Times in 228 Posts
kslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
For Caz, my Amazon account is registered in the UK, the Kindle was purchased from there. I have no problems buying books here in CH. I think that if you get from from Amazon.fr, then as long as you have a UK credit card, then you can buy from the UK store. If you buy a US kindle, I understand that you get extra charges for global (i.e. outside US) delivery....
The other problem for my US kindle is that some books I'd like aren't available to European customers, on Amazon anyway. For example, there's nothing by the recent Nobel prize winner, Mario Vargas Llosa, or J Franzen's new book. I'll explore other ebook sources , thanks to the tips offered here.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11.10.2010, 01:51
peterg
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
The other problem for my US kindle is that some books I'd like aren't available to European customers, on Amazon anyway. For example, there's nothing by the recent Nobel prize winner, Mario Vargas Llosa, or J Franzen's new book. I'll explore other ebook sources , thanks to the tips offered here.
Are you sure you're searching the Kindle store, and not just your own items? It's an easy mistake to make, and one I've made before now.

The reason I suggest this is that I am in the UK at present, and yesterday, downloaded a sample of the Franzen book (Freedom). I don't know Mario Vargas Llosa, but I just checked, and there are 2 or 3 available in the Kindle store.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 11.10.2010, 01:54
Cybersuz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dottikon Aargau
Posts: 237
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 56 Posts
Cybersuz has earned the respect of manyCybersuz has earned the respect of manyCybersuz has earned the respect of many
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

I got my new 3rd gen Kindle a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have a bunch of ebooks in different formats that I want to read on my Kindle. All I did was to email them to myself @ my kindle address I got when I registered and they were converted and sent to my Kindle within about 10 mins.

A total of 15 books so far. It did not cost a cent!

I also ordered a genuine leather cover + skin + screen protector from ebay for arounf 30chf! All included! I wanted to buy from Amazon but they were expensive and most of them was not available to ship to Switzerland.

Have a look here - they have about 100 choices and it comes from US not Asia so that's good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4300wt_1151

Happy reading
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cybersuz for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 11.10.2010, 07:39
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
The other problem for my US kindle is that some books I'd like aren't available to European customers, on Amazon anyway. For example, there's nothing by the recent Nobel prize winner, Mario Vargas Llosa, or J Franzen's new book. I'll explore other ebook sources , thanks to the tips offered here.
Unfortunately, that's true - for example, Amazon USA won't sell Bill Bryson books to anyone outside the US. All of them are available on Amazon UK.

Simply changing your address and your billing info, however, won't permanently solve the problem. Amazon can tell where you download your books from and will cut you off if you constantly download content from a country other than where the device is registered.

Peter
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 11.10.2010, 08:55
kslausanne's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 412
Groaned at 39 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 565 Times in 228 Posts
kslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
Are you sure you're searching the Kindle store, and not just your own items? It's an easy mistake to make, and one I've made before now.

The reason I suggest this is that I am in the UK at present, and yesterday, downloaded a sample of the Franzen book (Freedom). I don't know Mario Vargas Llosa, but I just checked, and there are 2 or 3 available in the Kindle store.
Thanks, but I think the problem was I tried to get the Franzen as soon as it was published in the US, and it wasn't yet on the European market. But after reading your post, I tried again, and downloaded a sample. As for MVL, they don't have his novels
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11.10.2010, 09:00
kslausanne's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 412
Groaned at 39 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 565 Times in 228 Posts
kslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond reputekslausanne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately, that's true - for example, Amazon USA won't sell Bill Bryson books to anyone outside the US. All of them are available on Amazon UK.

Simply changing your address and your billing info, however, won't permanently solve the problem. Amazon can tell where you download your books from and will cut you off if you constantly download content from a country other than where the device is registered.

Peter
Is it possible to change the registration? Mine was a surprise gift and the (very nice) giver didn't know about this very important difference.

Anyway, it bothers me that I can't share my ebooks with friends, so I guess that's already a good reason to keep buying the paper books! And often they are less expensive...

Also if you want the 3D version of Bryson's new book, let me know. I have it and can lend or sell it to you.

Last edited by kslausanne; 11.10.2010 at 09:13. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11.10.2010, 13:06
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,333
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 517 Posts
kiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
I got my new 3rd gen Kindle a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have a bunch of ebooks in different formats that I want to read on my Kindle. All I did was to email them to myself @ my kindle address I got when I registered and they were converted and sent to my Kindle within about 10 mins.

A total of 15 books so far. It did not cost a cent!

I also ordered a genuine leather cover + skin + screen protector from ebay for arounf 30chf! All included! I wanted to buy from Amazon but they were expensive and most of them was not available to ship to Switzerland.

Have a look here - they have about 100 choices and it comes from US not Asia so that's good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4300wt_1151

Happy reading

Actually all the book covers can be ordered from Amazon US and they ship to Switzerland. If purchased alone, the shipping is expensive, but with a kindle its about 5$ extra.

Also that seller charges $39 dollars (with shipping included)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11.10.2010, 19:42
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
Is it possible to change the registration? Mine was a surprise gift and the (very nice) giver didn't know about this very important difference.

Anyway, it bothers me that I can't share my ebooks with friends, so I guess that's already a good reason to keep buying the paper books! And often they are less expensive...

Also if you want the 3D version of Bryson's new book, let me know. I have it and can lend or sell it to you.
Yeah, you can change the registration in your online Kindle account - all you need is an address in the country you want your Kindle to be registered. However, they do know where you're at when you download books. If you download a couple books onto a UK Kindle while you're in Switzerland, they'll send you a warning that you have to change the registration country to Switzerland. If you continue downloading, they'll suspend the service until you've changed the registration.

Thanks for your offer - but I only read electronically these days. Not because I don't like physical books but because I do all my reading on my lengthy commute to work and I simply can't carry around books in addition to my notebook and the work material. Is "At Home" any good, though? :-)

Peter

ps: I contacted Random House US and asked them to make Bryson's book available to Swiss customers again. They told me they don't have the distribution rights for Mr. Bryson's ebooks - I then sent the same request to Doubleday UK who apparently are in charge of those rights. I guess my chances for success are slim.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11.10.2010, 19:46
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,696
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,125 Times in 5,434 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
just ordered a latest-gen 3G one myself - for an early Christmas present to myself :-)
Unfortunately, they don't have them in stock. Delivery time is 1-2 weeks

Peter
You're uncharacteristically late to the party??
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11.10.2010, 19:51
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
You're uncharacteristically late to the party??


I was mainly reading on the notebook but have now grown tired of the eye-strain and the neck-pain, so I figured it was time to hop on the Kindle-train again. Also, the fact that Amazon will now let you use the browser here in Europe helped me make up my mind...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11.10.2010, 20:34
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz
Posts: 177
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 81 Times in 46 Posts
Find the time has made some interesting contributions
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, you can change the registration in your online Kindle account - all you need is an address in the country you want your Kindle to be registered. However, they do know where you're at when you download books. If you download a couple books onto a UK Kindle while you're in Switzerland, they'll send you a warning that you have to change the registration country to Switzerland. If you continue downloading, they'll suspend the service until you've changed the registration.
Sorry, I am confused about this registration thing. If I buy a kindle from the amazon.com site and then register it in Switzerland, do I then buy books from the Amazon.com site? Does that then mean I won't have access to all the Kindle Amazon.com books?

Or can I switch between buying from .com and co.uk?

I have tried to look this up online, but it isn't very clear (or I am just a lug head!).
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11.10.2010, 20:41
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, I am confused about this registration thing. If I buy a kindle from the amazon.com site and then register it in Switzerland, do I then buy books from the Amazon.com site? Does that then mean I won't have access to all the Kindle Amazon.com books?
If you buy from Amazon.com and have the device shipped to Switzerland, it comes pre-registered to Switzerland. That means you can buy books directly from Amazon.com - but only those that Amazon is allowed to sell to Swiss customers. I'd say that's about a third less than what US customers are able to purchase. Most titles are available but some are missing (like the whole Bryson range).

Peter
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 11.10.2010, 22:23
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,696
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,125 Times in 5,434 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Your Kindle doesn't have to be wedded to the Amazon store, there are numerous online stores that sell ebooks in DRM protected mobi format that will work on your Kindle, you just need the PID serial number off your Kindle. Alternatively you can also read almost any non-DRM ebook by converting to mobi format using the excellent Calibre program (Mac and PC).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12.10.2010, 14:07
Cybersuz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dottikon Aargau
Posts: 237
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 56 Posts
Cybersuz has earned the respect of manyCybersuz has earned the respect of manyCybersuz has earned the respect of many
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
I got my new 3rd gen Kindle a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have a bunch of ebooks in different formats that I want to read on my Kindle. All I did was to email them to myself @ my kindle address I got when I registered and they were converted and sent to my Kindle within about 10 mins.

A total of 15 books so far. It did not cost a cent!

I also ordered a genuine leather cover + skin + screen protector from ebay for arounf 30chf! All included! I wanted to buy from Amazon but they were expensive and most of them was not available to ship to Switzerland.

Have a look here - they have about 100 choices and it comes from US not Asia so that's good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4300wt_1151

Happy reading
Just received my Kindle cover and I am very, very happy with it!

I got a red genuine leather cover with a funky skin and screen protector. Total cost $39(37chf) and to top it all it only took 4 days to arrive!

A similar cover on Amazon costs $56.13 incl shipping and does not include a skin or screen protector.

I can really recommend the ebay seller.

I am a happy kindler!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_4300wt_1151

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 15.10.2010, 17:31
casiopea's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
casiopea has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

I've just got the new kindle and I love it! it is free 3G and it works great. It is so practical.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15.10.2010, 17:42
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,333
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 517 Posts
kiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

After 3 weeks my Kindle screen is frozen.....One morning i tried to turn it on from the standby and the picture started to dissapear but suddenly froze. I dont know what to do, anyone have this problem?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 17.10.2010, 14:21
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
After 3 weeks my Kindle screen is frozen.....One morning i tried to turn it on from the standby and the picture started to dissapear but suddenly froze. I dont know what to do, anyone have this problem?
It does that when the battery is totally drained. Have you tried charging it? It may take 10-20 minutes until the battery holds enough charge again to power up the screen.
I'd use the charger that came with it, NOT a USB port on your computer.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 17.10.2010, 14:40
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,696
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,125 Times in 5,434 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

If it still does this after a full re-charge, try hard resetting it. Just slide the power switch and hold for 15 seconds. The light should then blink and the unit will reboot.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 20.10.2010, 17:49
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,333
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 517 Posts
kiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Well no dice....the battery was not empty when it happened. I did charge it for hours anyways to see if anything would change but nothing did.

I also tried to hard reset it....I could see it resetting in the background (faint shape) but it has not solved the problem and the top half of my screen is that e-ink screensaver and the bottom half is just blank. I hope I have not damaged the thing
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 25.10.2010, 09:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
wilsong25 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kindle and it's free 3G

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, I am confused about this registration thing. If I buy a kindle from the amazon.com site and then register it in Switzerland, do I then buy books from the Amazon.com site? Does that then mean I won't have access to all the Kindle Amazon.com books?

Or can I switch between buying from .com and co.uk?

I have tried to look this up online, but it isn't very clear (or I am just a lug head!).
Well from what I understand, IF you buy a kindle from the US store, then you will be charged extra for "delivery" electronically to your kindle e.g. if you are in Switzerland.However if you buy you Kindle outside the US (the so-called "international" edition) then you are not charged. I got mine in the UK, then had it posted across to CH - I have been able to access the internet (for free) and purchase from the UK amazon store, was able to do the same during a recent trip to Singapore! Hope that this helps!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank wilsong25 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kindle gsach TV/internet/telephone 41 11.03.2013 00:01
Amazon Kindle now available internationally (in Switzerland, too) dawiz Other/general 94 27.02.2012 08:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0