Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.08.2010, 10:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 83
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Apple&Oranges has made some interesting contributions
LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

I have normal CRT type old school TV. I want to move to the modern era and buy a LCD TV. After a bit of research I seem to homing in on Samsung UE46C6000, 46" FullHD LED, 100Hz, UltraSlim, LAN

It appears to be good bang for the CHF and costs CHF1500 at digitec.ch. Does anyone here have this TV? Would you recommend it? Any thing better in the CHF1000-1500 price range?
How do I get HD TV on it? Do I have to sign up for some extra service with my ISP? With Sunrise I see this. Is it something in addition to my current internet deal that I have to sign up for? What exactly is the Lan connection for? Can one surf internet using a browser on these TVs?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.08.2010, 10:18
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,285
Groaned at 46 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 5,478 Times in 2,103 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Quote:
View Post
I have normal CRT type old school TV. I want to move to the modern era and buy a LCD TV. After a bit of research I seem to homing in on Samsung UE46C6000, 46" FullHD LED, 100Hz, UltraSlim, LAN

It appears to be good bang for the CHF and costs CHF1500 at digitec.ch. Does anyone here have this TV? Would you recommend it? Any thing better in the CHF1000-1500 price range?
How do I get HD TV on it? Do I have to sign up for some extra service with my ISP? With Sunrise I see this. Is it something in addition to my current internet deal that I have to sign up for? What exactly is the Lan connection for? Can one surf internet using a browser on these TVs?

wooa woooa wooa
, lots of questions there. You might want to rethink the UltraSlim, as it gives you the markup on your tv. It looks really cool but it doesn't do that much. Also, I believe that it's a grid LED which means that dark scenes bleed light from the sides.

You can't really go wrong with Samsung/Sony (Except those damn Sony Wega that had problems with the buttons on the CRT tv)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.09.2010, 08:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 83
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Apple&Oranges has made some interesting contributions
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Quote:
View Post
wooa woooa wooa
, lots of questions there. You might want to rethink the UltraSlim, as it gives you the markup on your tv. It looks really cool but it doesn't do that much. Also, I believe that it's a grid LED which means that dark scenes bleed light from the sides.

You can't really go wrong with Samsung/Sony (Except those damn Sony Wega that had problems with the buttons on the CRT tv)
Ouch thanks for the post. Could you answer some more of my questions? Can I leech you bit more? I have been spending some time on this youtube channel. Where does one stop? Technology is amazing and like a drug. Now I am thinking should I go for 3d TV too

This slim Sony looks fantastic. Whatever I buy I will be using it for next 5 years minimum so I want to buy wisely.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.09.2010, 09:09
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Yes I have the samsung, its brilliant!! no dark spots, and really excellent contrast, the picture wipes the floor with out old lcd and plasma screens.

the only thing wrong with it is the speakers are in the back and point backwards, so you have to pump up the volume to hear anything, which will deafen your neighbours, we ended up buying a sound bar in the end and turning off the internal speakers, oh and the sound out is digital optical which is a bit of a pain, you really need to use this as if you take the sound from your dvd player (for example) it wont sync with the picture anymore as the tv has a very slight delay while it upscales (which it does really really well)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.09.2010, 09:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 83
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Apple&Oranges has made some interesting contributions
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Quote:
View Post
Yes I have the samsung, its brilliant!! no dark spots, and really excellent contrast, the picture wipes the floor with out old lcd and plasma screens.

the only thing wrong with it is the speakers are in the back and point backwards, so you have to pump up the volume to hear anything, which will deafen your neighbours, we ended up buying a sound bar in the end and turning off the internal speakers, oh and the sound out is digital optical which is a bit of a pain, you really need to use this as if you take the sound from your dvd player (for example) it wont sync with the picture anymore as the tv has a very slight delay while it upscales (which it does really really well)
I will be mainly using headphones as noise is a big issue here. Even though you are happy with the Samsung would you go for it again or would you pick something different?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.09.2010, 09:50
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Samsung is good generally, though a friend bout recently white 40 C7000, and after a week, some parts of display was not showing bright and he had to change/give back.
You can also try Digitec SONY daily offers, like 46EX706/705 for around 1500 CHF which is quite good.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.09.2010, 10:08
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Quote:
View Post
I will be mainly using headphones as noise is a big issue here. Even though you are happy with the Samsung would you go for it again or would you pick something different?

I'd buy the same one again, there is no headphone socket on the tv though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.09.2010, 11:09
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,285
Groaned at 46 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 5,478 Times in 2,103 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Quote:
View Post
Ouch thanks for the post. Could you answer some more of my questions? Can I leech you bit more? I have been spending some time on this youtube channel. Where does one stop? Technology is amazing and like a drug. Now I am thinking should I go for 3d TV too

This slim Sony looks fantastic. Whatever I buy I will be using it for next 5 years minimum so I want to buy wisely.
I can't answer about the HD TV questions as I only use my PS3 and MAC on my tv.

As for the LAN Connection, depending on the model it can get you tv guide and some other stuff. I'm not sure if you can browse as this models were not in my time with these companies.

I'd be skeptic about 3D TV as it is an upcoming technology and u might end up like those HD DVD people
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.09.2010, 11:18
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

I have to agree, 3d tv isn't the next big thing, especially any version that requires you to wear special glasses.

If the tv you want just so happens to support 3d, all well and good, but buying one specifically for 3d is a big waste of money imho.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.09.2010, 11:25
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,285
Groaned at 46 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 5,478 Times in 2,103 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LCD TV and HD TV questions. Samsung 46"?

Quote:
View Post
Samsung is good generally, though a friend bout recently white 40 C7000, and after a week, some parts of display was not showing bright and he had to change/give back.
You can also try Digitec SONY daily offers, like 46EX706/705 for around 1500 CHF which is quite good.

If you only knew the crazy assembly stories that I know . but I'm bound by confidentiality.... I think...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0