English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   TV/internet/telephone (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/)
-   -   mobile phones in switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/92633-mobile-phones-switzerland.html)

chandler 30.08.2010 16:31

mobile phones in switzerland
 
I am new to switzerland. Living in Genava/Lausanne.
I am a bit confused about mobile phone subscriptions and rates here.
I want something for 12-15 months as i am here only till that much time.
Any suggestions ?

native 30.08.2010 17:01

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagri (Post 925735)
Any suggestions ?

Don't get a 24 month contract.

Seriously though, how much do you use your phone, where do you call to, do you want to call other countries from your mobile phone or can you do it from home, etc.?
Do you need data?
How important are SMS?

Chuff 30.08.2010 17:06

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagri (Post 925735)
I am new to switzerland. Living in Genava/Lausanne.
I am a bit confused about mobile phone subscriptions and rates here.
I want something for 12-15 months as i am here only till that much time.
Any suggestions ?

Get a 12 month contract. Go into s shop and ask aboutt he 12 month contracts, or look o the websites. Voila.

http://www1.orange.ch/residential_pr...criptions.html

http://www.swisscom.ch/res/mobile/tarife/index.htm

http://www1.sunrise.ch/Mobilabos-Pre...de_CH-CHF.html

Paulus Camillus 31.08.2010 14:35

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagri (Post 925735)
I am a bit confused about mobile phone subscriptions and rates here.

It's more expensive to use mobile phone than land-lines or Skype.

So, before checking the rates of mobile phones, you must consider how to use land-lines or skype (or something else cheaper), and here are the tariffs of Swisscom and Skype :

Swisscom - Domestic tariffs.
http://www.swisscom.ch/res/festnetz/...land/index.htm

Swisscom - International tariffs.
http://www.swisscom.ch/res/festnetz/...land/index.htm

Skype - tariffs.
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/pric...g-rates/#cc=CH

Then, you have to find out whether you will use your mobile phone a lot or rarely, for calling local numbers or abroad.

Main mobile operators are Orange, Swisscom and Sunrise

Some mobile phone subscriptions will be cheap for calling in Switzerland, but awfully expensive for calling mobiles phones abroad. Or it can be the opposite, for example Orange Optima : 0.45 CHF/minute for calling a land-line in Switzerland (gloups !) and 0.45 CHF/minute for calling a mobile phone abroad (cool !)

/Paul

chandler 01.09.2010 08:48

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that skype would be cheaper but still i would need a cell phone to call international back to my home country (India). I saw various tariffs. Swisscom is very expensive. i found a operator called 'yallo' . looks economical to me. Is it advisable to take that connection ? how is the service and all.
As regards to a home phone is concerned, since i am new, i do not know if i will be able to get a home phone quickly. will take time settling in etc
so will have to take a mobile phone with cheap call rates atleast to India.

dawiz 01.09.2010 09:01

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagri (Post 927977)
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that skype would be cheaper but still i would need a cell phone to call international back to my home country (India). I saw various tariffs. Swisscom is very expensive. i found a operator called 'yallo' . looks economical to me. Is it advisable to take that connection ? how is the service and all.

Yallo is Sunrise - they have a good network, don't worry. Service is very reliable here with all providers. Sunrise and Swisscom have the best coverage, Orange sucks in this respect.

Peter

nikolay 01.09.2010 09:04

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Why signing a contract when you can get pre-paid SIM card?! See Migros' offer on the following link. Fr. 0.28 per minute with all networks in Switzerland, Europe and the rest ofthe world, Fr. 0.10 per SMS. :eek:

hanoi 02.09.2010 05:39

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Hi, I am new to this forum and will be new in Geneva in a couple of week. Sorry to ask the question if it's covered somewhere else. Does the M-budget SIM card work with iphone or I have to use a particular provider for this device? Many thanks for your reply.

Vlh22 02.09.2010 06:30

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
As far as I know you can only use an M-Budget SIM card with one of their phones - you can't put it in an iphone. I was told that I couldn't just get the sim card and put it in my old handset when I got my M-Budget phone anyway.

But if I am wrong someone please correct me!

immie 02.09.2010 07:54

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlh22 (Post 929168)
As far as I know you can only use an M-Budget SIM card with one of their phones - you can't put it in an iphone. I was told that I couldn't just get the sim card and put it in my old handset when I got my M-Budget phone anyway.

But if I am wrong someone please correct me!

you can use prepaid card on any phone, but there is no possibility to use MMS and mobile internet (from your iphone) at mbudget

nikolay 02.09.2010 08:51

Re: mobile phones in switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by immie (Post 929189)
you can use prepaid card on any phone, but there is no possibility to use MMS and mobile internet (from your iphone) at mbudget

That is right. The only way to access internet will be unsecured wi-fi network or a secured one in case you have the key for it.

There is another option but is a bit more expensive: M-budget Abonament


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0