Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1481  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:04
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,930
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 21,172 Times in 8,704 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
I think the problem is Billag wants people to pay for it even if they don't partake in it.
Billig is a payment collection agency. They do not decide policy.
  #1482  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:14
Aeneas's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Winterthur, ZH
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 41 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,171 Times in 574 Posts
Aeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
Billig is a payment collection agency. They do not decide policy.
Oh, they're only following orders so?

TBH, from what I've seen of Billag, they do a bit more than simply follow policy. Their tactics are not exactly transparent and one could be forgiven for believing that they actively seek to deceive people to pay when, strictly speaking, they should not. That this thread has been largely on whether one is obliged to do so or not appears to be indicative more of a policy of obfuscation to maximize revenue, rather than execute policy.
The following 3 users would like to thank Aeneas for this useful post:
  #1483  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:15
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,798
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,494 Times in 9,551 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
Billig is a payment collection agency. They do not decide policy.
If you want to be nit-picky about it, No Billag does not strictly want to abolish Billag but wants to remove their mandate.

But I think at the end of the day, that comes down to the same thing, no?

If the No Billag initiative passes, SRG will be forced to finance its activities through other means. these could include pay-TV fees, advertising, donations, crowdsourcing, cutting back activities, greater efficiency and other means. SRG will no longer be able to rely on people being forced to pay for something they don't watch.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1484  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,798
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,494 Times in 9,551 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
Oh, they're only following orders so?

TBH, from what I've seen of Billag, they do a bit more than simply follow policy. Their tactics are not exactly transparent and one could be forgiven for believing that they actively seek to deceive people to pay when, strictly speaking, they should not. That this thread has been largely on whether one is obliged to do so or not appears to be indicative more of a policy of obfuscation to maximize revenue, rather than execute policy.
Furthermore, by employing pensioners and others on a commission basis, they are creating an incentive to deceive and obfuscate while being able to wash their hands in innocence pretending they don't know these things are going on. Billag needs to own up to its responsibility and be held accountable for the lies that are being spread in its name.
  #1485  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:25
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,093
Groaned at 92 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,412 Times in 8,186 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
If I understand correctly, By Bye Bilag and No Billag are two separate initiatives. I'm not sure why they couldn't pool their resources and do something jointly. However, judging by their own Facebook page, the latter initiative is still very much alive and I'm sure they'd be happy for your donation (I've already sent them the equivalent of an annual Billag fee).
The signatures for No Billag were submitted on 11. Dec. 2015 and approved on 13. Jan. 2016 https://www.admin.ch/ch/d/pore/vi/vis454.html
Reading the text you will ses that it is a bit more than just no Billag, it is No SRG SSR as well.
  #1486  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:29
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,798
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,494 Times in 9,551 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
The signatures for No Billag were submitted on 11. Dec. 2015 and approved on 13. Jan. 2016 https://www.admin.ch/ch/d/pore/vi/vis454.html
Reading the text you will ses that it is a bit more than just no Billag, it is No SRG SSR as well.
er, no.

It says no public susbidy for SRG.

This is not the same thing as abolishing it.

It may require them to scale down though.
  #1487  
Old 30.05.2016, 15:31
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,208
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,370 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
Billag needs to own up to its responsibility and be held accountable for the lies that are being spread in its name.
I was given a brochure in Portuguese when I moved to Switzerland. It said I must pay no matter what. The same brochure in German said something totally different.

To me, abusing the difficulty with a foreign language on purpose disguised as a "we are so nice we even paid a translator just for you!" is absolutely unscrupulous. It's not only a blatant obfuscation of the truth, it's an obvious spreading of lies to a very specific group of people.

Back home, we have specific names for that. It's not a nice one, because it defines an illegal activity.

My stand on Billag is on the first pages of this very long thread. I haven't changed in the years since.
__________________

Fighting for Pluto's liberation from the Dwarf League since 2006 @(°.°)=@)x.X)' ' '
The following 4 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #1488  
Old 30.05.2016, 16:01
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,093
Groaned at 92 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,412 Times in 8,186 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
er, no.

It says no public susbidy for SRG.

This is not the same thing as abolishing it.

It may require them to scale down though.
Quote:
Der Bund betreibt in Friedenszeiten keine eigenen Radio- und Fernsehstationen.
The fedaration does not maintain/operate any own radio or tv stations.
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #1489  
Old 30.05.2016, 16:37
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,798
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,494 Times in 9,551 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
The fedaration does not maintain/operate any own radio or tv stations.
SRG is not owned by the federation but is owned by a foundation, a bit like a charity.

Their Wikipedia page actually describes them as "Verein". A Verein isn't owned by anybody.

If SRG were to go bankrupt, the federation wouldn't have to bail them out.

So if SRG found an alternative financing model, the federation would be OK.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1490  
Old 30.05.2016, 19:04
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,770
Groaned at 264 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 17,773 Times in 7,199 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
SRG will no longer be able to rely on people being forced to pay for something they don't watch.
Is No Billag the mob that wants to oust Billag and have the TV tax applied (at a lower rate) to all households in CH — or was that Bye Bye Billig? Anyway, if it becomes a nationwide tax, then people will indeed be forced to pay for something they don't watch.

I still think that's the best way forward, though. Much more efficient and better for the vast majority of Swiss residents.
  #1491  
Old 30.05.2016, 20:10
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,093
Groaned at 92 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,412 Times in 8,186 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
Is No Billag the mob that wants to oust Billag and have the TV tax applied (at a lower rate) to all households in CH — or was that Bye Bye Billig? Anyway, if it becomes a nationwide tax, then people will indeed be forced to pay for something they don't watch.
No, that mob was the federal council, both chambers of parliament, and finally the Swiss voters last year.
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #1492  
Old 30.05.2016, 20:15
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,093
Groaned at 92 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,412 Times in 8,186 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
SRG is not owned by the federation but is owned by a foundation, a bit like a charity.

Their Wikipedia page actually describes them as "Verein". A Verein isn't owned by anybody.

If SRG were to go bankrupt, the federation wouldn't have to bail them out.

So if SRG found an alternative financing model, the federation would be OK.
It is a shill.
  #1493  
Old 20.06.2016, 17:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 70
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rosso has no particular reputation at present
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

I live here for one year and a half. For the first year, I did not receive a letter from Billag. For second, current year I received such notification.

First of all, I sent the paper to my landowner, as in accordance with my rent agreement, all expenses are covered by her. She refused to pay the bill. Same as me

When deadline passed, I received a new letter from Billag with prolonged deadline.

Maybe someone has already had such experience and could kindly advise me, who should pay the fee under such contract circumstances?

One more question, is this fee for past year or future? For example, if I leave my current apartment soon and move to a new one, what would happen with this bill?

Many thanks.
  #1494  
Old 20.06.2016, 17:46
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,019
Groaned at 1,992 Times in 1,508 Posts
Thanked 34,475 Times in 16,397 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

The bill has to be paid by you, not the landlord, as it has nothing to do with where you reside.

Tom
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #1495  
Old 20.06.2016, 18:20
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,770
Groaned at 264 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 17,773 Times in 7,199 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
The bill has to be paid by you, not the landlord, as it has nothing to do with where you reside.

Tom
... if it is payable at all.
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #1496  
Old 20.06.2016, 18:38
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,798
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,494 Times in 9,551 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
I live here for one year and a half. For the first year, I did not receive a letter from Billag. For second, current year I received such notification.

First of all, I sent the paper to my landowner, as in accordance with my rent agreement, all expenses are covered by her. She refused to pay the bill. Same as me

When deadline passed, I received a new letter from Billag with prolonged deadline.

Maybe someone has already had such experience and could kindly advise me, who should pay the fee under such contract circumstances?

One more question, is this fee for past year or future? For example, if I leave my current apartment soon and move to a new one, what would happen with this bill?

Many thanks.
I'm actually surprised they sent you a bill out of the blue.

Their normal strategy is to contact you, either through a sales agent kocking on your door or through a letter and seeking to ascertain how many boxes you tick and how much they can charge you.

If you never had any previous interaction with them and they're now billing you out of the blue, I would as a minimum seek clarification on how they know about what services and devices you have before paying up. Sounds fishy to me.

Also, if the bill doesn't clearly state what services and what period it covers (which from your question I'm guessing it doesn't), I would contest it out of principle.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #1497  
Old 20.06.2016, 19:14
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,770
Groaned at 264 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 17,773 Times in 7,199 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
... a sales agent kocking on your door...
I hate it when they do that. I never know how to clean the door afterwards.
  #1498  
Old 21.06.2016, 12:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 70
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rosso has no particular reputation at present
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
I'm actually surprised they sent you a bill out of the blue.

Their normal strategy is to contact you, either through a sales agent kocking on your door or through a letter and seeking to ascertain how many boxes you tick and how much they can charge you.

If you never had any previous interaction with them and they're now billing you out of the blue, I would as a minimum seek clarification on how they know about what services and devices you have before paying up. Sounds fishy to me.

Also, if the bill doesn't clearly state what services and what period it covers (which from your question I'm guessing it doesn't), I would contest it out of principle.
In the letter, I found a login and password, which they created for me. So I have to enter the website and complete the questionnaire first.

The issue is, I don't know how to reply for such questions like - do you have internet? Yes, I have, but I am not paying for it and I did not sign an agreement with internet provider. My landowner who has an office on the ground floor, just provided wi-fi pin fo all tenants. The same for TV and no Radio at all.
  #1499  
Old 21.06.2016, 12:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,516
Groaned at 392 Times in 340 Posts
Thanked 16,749 Times in 9,063 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

Quote:
View Post
In the letter, I found a login and password, which they created for me. So I have to enter the website and complete the questionnaire first.

The issue is, I don't know how to reply for such questions like - do you have internet? Yes, I have, but I am not paying for it and I did not sign an agreement with internet provider. My landowner who has an office on the ground floor, just provided wi-fi pin fo all tenants. The same for TV and no Radio at all.
Sounds like the standard letter they send to businesses not private people?
  #1500  
Old 21.06.2016, 13:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 70
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rosso has no particular reputation at present
Re: Do I have to get a TV licence from Billag?

For me now is more important to understand what happens with the bill, if I move to another flat? Actually, I am going to change flat in a couple of months and I don't want to pay the same fee twice
Closed Thread

Tags
billag, billag internet, billag visiting, bills, entertainment tax, fine, internet registration, radio licence, rants, ripped off, tax, television fees, tv licence




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0