Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.11.2010, 15:41
Midas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Midas has earned some respectMidas has earned some respect
International SIM for free roaming

You are probably aware that there is such a thing as an international SIM for mobile phones. There are numerous offers on Google, so I will not list them here.

However, it is a bit of a hassle to read through all the small print, so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations or warnings they would like to share.

Personally I would like an International SIM for a second mobile with the following features:
-Receive calls in many countries without having to pay roaming fees.
-Receive SMS free.
-Have a permanent contact number (where it does not cost a mint to receive calls).

Desireable features of such a product would be:
-No expiry date for the SIM or credit (so I don't suddenly go on holiday to find my card has expired).
-Low initial cost (some of the offers out there are fairly exhorbitant reaching into $100s of dollars for a SIM! There seem to be offers for about $20 too).
-Swiss number (so it is also reachable cheaply from within Switzerland).
-US number (since these are reachable cheaply worldwide)

Other factors:
-Facebook does not send free SMS alerts to Swiss numbers, so a UK number would also be useful.

I apologise if this has been covered before, I could not find it by searching, but I think recommendations for cheap / free roaming could be of use to many people on this forum. Reading the brochure and trying the product itself often leave very different impressions.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Midas for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 18.11.2010, 16:41
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: International SIM for free roaming

There's one I keep seeing in Switzerland. The logo is blue. Forget the name. Are you sure these providers can do what you want? I mean you're practically asking for a SIM that has a US & Swiss (maybe UK) number where you can travel anywhere in the world and never nothing/not pay very much.

That's asking a bit much isn't it in a world that nothing is for free?

If I am in a country for a considerable time, I normally purchase a local SIM card. To dial-out abroad I use Skype To-Go. As I work I don't really care too much about the odd charge here or there so I set up call forwarding from my Swisscom contract SIM to this pre-pay new SIM abroad (cost is slightly cheaper than roaming so it seems).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.11.2010, 16:50
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rafz
Posts: 123
Groaned at 48 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Custodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisance
Re: International SIM for free roaming

Quote:
View Post
You are probably aware that there is such a thing as an international SIM for mobile phones. There are numerous offers on Google, so I will not list them here.

However, it is a bit of a hassle to read through all the small print, so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations or warnings they would like to share.

Personally I would like an International SIM for a second mobile with the following features:
-Receive calls in many countries without having to pay roaming fees.
-Receive SMS free.
-Have a permanent contact number (where it does not cost a mint to receive calls).

Desireable features of such a product would be:
-No expiry date for the SIM or credit (so I don't suddenly go on holiday to find my card has expired).
-Low initial cost (some of the offers out there are fairly exhorbitant reaching into $100s of dollars for a SIM! There seem to be offers for about $20 too).
-Swiss number (so it is also reachable cheaply from within Switzerland).
-US number (since these are reachable cheaply worldwide)

Other factors:
-Facebook does not send free SMS alerts to Swiss numbers, so a UK number would also be useful.

I apologise if this has been covered before, I could not find it by searching, but I think recommendations for cheap / free roaming could be of use to many people on this forum. Reading the brochure and trying the product itself often leave very different impressions.

Anyone?
Thanx 4 asking this, I am looking 4ward 2 the helpfull responses.
By the way, as far as I know, noone charges for incoming SMS in roaming! Or do they?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.11.2010, 16:54
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: International SIM for free roaming

Quote:
View Post
By the way, as far as I know, noone charges for incoming SMS in roaming! Or do they?
I've never experienced it, but I have "heard" otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.11.2010, 17:43
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 590
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: International SIM for free roaming

One option I have found useful is Vodafone Ireland. It costs you 79c to phone or receive a call. Afterwards they charge you the local rate. With Vodafone UK have a similar offer but with Vodafone Ireland you can get 50mb internet for 99c per day in most countries which is very handy if you have a smart phone but yeah for calling I'm sure there are cheaper offers
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.11.2010, 17:50
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: International SIM for free roaming

Is that service called Vodafone World? Partner networks like SFR and Swisscom also offer(ed) it.

http://www.abroad.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-world/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.11.2010, 02:53
Midas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Midas has earned some respectMidas has earned some respect
Re: International SIM for free roaming

Since making the OP. I have come to belive that nobody charges for receiving SMSs while roaming. This means that I could use any UK Mobile to receive free SMSs from Facebook for example - I would not need an international SIM for that.

Post here if you disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.11.2010, 12:40
Midas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Midas has earned some respectMidas has earned some respect
Re: International SIM for free roaming

Quote:
View Post
There's one I keep seeing in Switzerland. The logo is blue. Forget the name. Are you sure these providers can do what you want? I mean you're practically asking for a SIM that has a US & Swiss (maybe UK) number where you can travel anywhere in the world and never nothing/not pay very much.

That's asking a bit much isn't it in a world that nothing is for free?

If I am in a country for a considerable time, I normally purchase a local SIM card. To dial-out abroad I use Skype To-Go. As I work I don't really care too much about the odd charge here or there so I set up call forwarding from my Swisscom contract SIM to this pre-pay new SIM abroad (cost is slightly cheaper than roaming so it seems).
A local SIM works if you are staying in a country for a while, but if you are moving between countries frequently then it is tiresome to communicate a new number all the time.

The whole point of a Global SIM card is to enable cheap / free roaming with a number in the country of your choice.

There are plenty of services available which offer this quite cheaply, I don't want to advertise them blindly (just look on Google). I could buy one and try it out. However I thought it would be useful information for the forum if someone has experience of these services and a recommendation / review. Especially someone living in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.03.2014, 13:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 920
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 524 Times in 319 Posts
ChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: International SIM for free roaming

Hi Midas,
check out www.togglemobile.co.uk
Quote:
View Post
  • Receive calls in many countries without having to pay roaming fees.
    • (check)
  • Receive SMS free.
    • (check)
  • Have a permanent contact number (where it does not cost a mint to receive calls).
    • (check)
  • No expiry date for the SIM or credit (so I don't suddenly go on holiday to find my card has expired).
    • (nopes, have to effect a chargeable action every two months, otherwise the card becomes invalid w/o warning, something I really hate!)
  • Low initial cost (some of the offers out there are fairly exhorbitant reaching into $100s of dollars for a SIM! There seem to be offers for about $20 too).
    • (check, £25)
  • Swiss number (so it is also reachable cheaply from within Switzerland).
    • (check, in fact you can have a UK, Swiss, US (and more) number on one SIM, all reachable simultaneously)
  • US number (since these are reachable cheaply worldwide)
    • (check)
  • Facebook does not send free SMS alerts to Swiss numbers, so a UK number would also be useful.
    • (check)
Hope that´s sort-of what you were looking for?

EDIT: Sorry for resurrecting this burried thread - not even sure how this happened?

Last edited by ChrisNeedsToKnow; 09.03.2014 at 15:18.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
international, mobile phone, roaming, sim




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
international data roaming bill of 4,000 CHF trink TV/internet/telephone 123 18.07.2010 18:19
Free Swisscom Pay as you go SIM card NDSpittal TV/internet/telephone 2 06.01.2008 10:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0